Iphone 5 and insurance claims

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Is it true that with the iphone 5 you have a different process with insurance claims compared to other phones?
Like instead of going to asurion or whatever for exchanges, you have to deal directly with Apple?

and is it worth it to sign-up for apple's insurance thing for 100 a year? Do you have to sign-up at time of purchase or can you think about it later?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You deal with the provider of the coverage - always... Asurion - Apple for AppleCare, SquareTrade... etc. Asurion has to be added within 30 days of purchase last I knew... or sometimes they have "open enrollment" - you have to find out about that through them... others like SquareTrade can be purchased at your discression. If any are 'worth it' or not is not something anyone can decide for you - its your call... if you're rough with your gear in general, or are one prone to 'misplace' your things you may find it worthwhile...

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is it true that with the iphone 5 you have a different process with insurance claims compared to other phones?
Like instead of going to asurion or whatever for exchanges, you have to deal directly with Apple?

and is it worth it to sign-up for apple's insurance thing for 100 a year? Do you have to sign-up at time of purchase or can you think about it later?

The "Apple insurance thing" is AppleCare+ (AC+) and it’s available for iPhones and iPads. It’s $99 for TWO years coverage. Coverage includes the following:

• Extends the manufacturer's 1 year warranty to 2 years.
  • Extends telephone Apple's 90 day telephone support to 2 years.
  • Covers accidental damage, water damage and almost everything except loss or theft.
  • Includes replacement device with same model/storage capacity for up to TWO events in the coverage period for $49 each.
You can get it at the time of purchase or within 30 days of purchase from Apple. If AC+ is not purchased at the same time the device is purchased, Apple may require an inspection to extend coverage.

Is it worth it?

This is an incredibly subjective issue. Your iPhone comes with the basic AppleCare coverage - a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects. The warranty includes 90 days of phone support (call Apple for assistance with issues/questions, NOT 90 days on the phone).

The AppleCare+ (PLUS) coverage extends the coverage (including the telephone support) for a full 2 years, and also covers accidental damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $99. The catch is that typically, an "in warranty" replacement due to physical damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $229. The AppleCare+ will allow you to replace your device TWICE in the coverage period for $49 per incident.

Neither plan covers loss/theft of your device.

So the question becomes one of "how clumsy are you?" If you tend to be accident prone and drop your phone a lot, it may be a good investment for you. It means that for $200 ($99 + $49 + $49), you can replace your phone twice for about the standard charge of replacing your phone once. If you buy it and never use it, then you have wasted the $99 price of the coverage...

Bottom line: Some buy it, some don’t. How accident prone are you?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If I can jump in here if you don't mind Don the post you wrote is terrific and I thought since one of our Moderators wrote a guide on this subject it should also go along with yours so the OP can read everything available. have a great day. :) I have th also throw in that I bought it. Am I clumsy? Am a prone to accident and drops? NO but I would have had Applecare+ in case than not and will buy it when the new phone comes out too. You just never know.!

http://forums.imore.com/guides-how-tos/255643-guide-applecare-protection-plan.html

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I just had my iphone 5 stolen this weekend on a city bus. asurion was great with sending me a brand new replacement. 199 for the 32 gig. not bad considering it was new and had all the accesories inside of it.

it's good to have asurion sometimes.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just had my iphone 5 stolen this weekend on a city bus. asurion was great with sending me a brand new replacement. 199 for the 32 gig. not bad considering it was new and had all the accesories inside of it.

it's good to have asurion sometimes.
I agree. This is the one thing that Apple Care Plus doesn't offer. For those wanting the whole package of Extended warranty/Damage/Lost&Stolen, AC+ would not be the thing for them since Lost or Stolen coverage isn't an option.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree. This is the one thing that Apple Care Plus doesn't offer. For those wanting the whole package of Extended warranty/Damage/Lost&Stolen, AC+ would not be the thing for them since Lost or Stolen coverage isn't an option.

The only thing I don't like about addition is that if I broke my phone i would have to return the phone and still pay that 199 deductible for my phone. Unlike apple care where I can just walk in pay my 50 and be on my way. Both are great in their own way though.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
If you have homeowners or renters insurance, your personal property should already be covered against loss or theft. Of course that depends on your deductible and/or if you think it is worth the risk of increased premiums to claim the loss/theft of your cell phone.

Good idea, like you stated I think the problem is the deductible
Also, does the coverage apply to something stolen on the city bus ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh