Bought an iPhone 5 from eBay!

ShaneBunting

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm new to the iPhone 5. Bought one 'BNIB' from eBay.

The picture showed it still in plastic, and the buyer has it categorised as New.

The phone is apparently Unlocked.

Due to the price I got it at, I was wondering why it was selling so cheap..

I'm scared now in case there is something wrong.

I'm scared in case it's stolen or something and it won't work for me!?

Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to sound insensitive or anything, but it's a tad too late to worry about those things now. If the device is from Verizon, it came unlocked. You can try to get in contact with the seller and request a reversal but I doubt that'll happen, but I don't know who you purchased it from and the agreement that was made. Anyway, you might as well turn it on, see if it works. Call your service provider to get it activated. You'll soon know if it's reported stolen or not.

ShaneBunting

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the UK! Sorry, I should have mentioned it there!

So if I phone up my network and ask they'll tell me the status of it?

The guy sells loads of iPhones, and has a 290+ score on eBay. But at the same time, spending so much money is making me worry!

Is there any way I could get assurance from Apple?

When I say stole, I mean, did it come from like a crate of new iPhone 5's? It's in the box and sealed apparently, which is why I bought it. I'd be scared in case the whole batch was 'deactivated' or something.

I know what I'm saying sounds bizarre, but do you know what I am getting at?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
None of us are going to be able to "get to the bottom" of your situation with the information you've given...and nobody can really help you if you've already bid and won an auction on eBay.

- Always check seller history to see if there is evidence of issues BEFORE you bid.
- If it seems too good to be true, 99.9999999% of the time, IT IS.
- If you used PayPal and the phone comes in any condition outside what is described in the auction, they'll cover you monetarily and you can return the phone to the seller.

Your post sounds more like paranoia than a legitimate issue. Wait for the phone to come, try it out and see if it works (and to see if it's new)...THEN come here if you have issues (or return it like i said above and get your money back). eBay and PayPal have some pretty amazing buyer security features.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the UK! Sorry, I should have mentioned it there!

So if I phone up my network and ask they'll tell me the status of it?

The guy sells loads of iPhones, and has a 290+ score on eBay. But at the same time, spending so much money is making me worry!

Is there any way I could get assurance from Apple?

When I say stole, I mean, did it come from like a crate of new iPhone 5's? It's in the box and sealed apparently, which is why I bought it. I'd be scared in case the whole batch was 'deactivated' or something.

I know what I'm saying sounds bizarre, but do you know what I am getting at?

It doesn't sound bizarre, it sounds paranoid. If the guy has hundreds of positive feedback scores with smart phone sales then you should really stop worrying...if the guy sold stolen phones someone would have reported him by now, if the guy sold BATCHES of stolen phones, you wouldn't be doing business with him on eBay.

ShaneBunting

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. I'll update this thread then when it arrives about the entire experience.

The PayPal policy is new to me, but is a positive thing!

If anyone else has stories or opinions I'd like to hear btw!

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If u paid with pay-pal then u can file a claim if it does come back stolen. That's a lot of $$ to give away without getting info first