Is iPhone just a status symbol?

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

Your posts define trolling (though you're not a very good one to be honest)...you came here to deliberately start an argument, so you yourself have defined your existence on this forum as one of trolling.

People can handle criticism here quite well, happens all the time. What people grow sick of is little pi$s ants who come here like the little bully on the school yard play ground...you throw a punch and then you hide behind the facade of "having an opinion" or as you put it "seeing what the iPhone is like" while cowering behind the teacher when everyone else comes at you. You're too cowardly to admit why you're really here, so you try to portray this elaborate quest for knowledge. You're most likely an alter-ego of someone who did the same thing in the past and was either banned or left, and I'm sure once this screen name winds up in the same boat, you'll make a new name and start all over again.

The beauty of it all really though is the fact that people like you, as useless and illegitimate as you are to the community, actually bring out the best IN the community...you strengthen the core because people will sit and argue with you, and they'll show their true colors, their loyalty and their true enjoyment of the product at hand...and you sit there as the bullseye...and you sharpen their abilities to converse skillfully on here by continuing the redundant arguments you present.

In reality, you're actually a really great part of the forum here, because every time someone comes here and reads your ridiculous banter, they probably sit back and go "This place aint half bad" because they see everyone band together to point out your idiocy. In the end, while you bury yourself with your asinine attempts at "logic", you're doing the forum a favor...and I bet realizing that just chaps your *** something fierce doesn't it?

Keep it up, kiddo! :beer:

I've only been on here about 6 months and I actually totally agree with you, specifically the last part. I like this forum so much better than most forums I've been on because

1. Most of the comments on here have been civil and there were even very polite ones DESPITE what appeared to be straight forward insults (single digit iq.... Seriously??
2. Most people here are actually open minded about both sides. I have used android as well and know its got positives as well as negatives, most arguments on here are not that the iPhone is the best, but rather its the best for the individual and if someone prefers android theirs nothing wrong with it. The only reason this user is getting backlash is due to personal insults not because he doesn't like the device
3. Users seem to stick up for each other
4. I honestly don't feel like any true user here feels their opinions are better than someone else's. android users call iPhone users I sheep, however, I was on android central before here and I rarely saw threads like this on there. I really missed pre central because of its great environment which eventually turned sour with trolling. This community has an awesome user base, with intelligent, friendly, and helpful users.

Reading this thread has made that more apparent.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
But not on a Nexus. believe me if you find HOLO based apps you will be blown away! trust me it really looks elegant.

I've never used a nexus but I do agree holo apps are elegant, but google needs to be more forceful with app quality. I know that many people don't like how forceful apple is, but it would help with making more quality apps on android. Also I think skins should be an option and that manufacturers should have more guidelines they have to follow. Windows phone may not be super popular because of its design or lack of apps, but its smooth and reliable and the experience is similar to the iPhone in many ways so having multiple manufacturers is not the issue. Now I wouldn't say all windows phone apps are high quality either, but at least I can trust that they won't mess my phone up. I think the nexus line and the new moto line are the best android options and pretty good remodels on how the phones should be, but definitely have room for improvements as well. Just like the iPhone can learn from android with things like google now and default apps. I really do wish the best for android as its got potential. :)

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I read some replies and watched a review about it. I don't think its just bought for flash anymore, it's obviously solid. But I think buying a HTC One, and then upgrading to google edition when they stop support for sense 5 is better for me. I think the screen is too small and the HTC has boomsound speakers, considering that's even cheaper than the iphone I'm obviously going to go for that. And the OS is customisable which I am definitely up for.

No longer thinking the phone is for idiots, but I do think it is behind what flagship phones offer these days.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Well I read some replies and watched a review about it. I don't think its just bought for flash anymore, it's obviously solid. But I think buying a HTC One, and then upgrading to google edition when they stop support for sense 5 is better for me. I think the screen is too small and the HTC has boomsound speakers, considering that's even cheaper than the iphone I'm obviously going to go for that. And the OS is customisable which I am definitely up for.

No longer thinking the phone is for idiots, but I do think it is behind what flagship phones offer these days.

Again I disagree. I don't think it is behind other devices at all. Actually, I think that the iPhone 5 is ahead of the game in multiple areas. Optimization of the operating system to the hardware, quality of apps, accessories, compatibility and functionality with other Apple products, build quality, camera/video quality, iTunes, and customer service. These are the things that buying an iPhone affords you.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Excellent reply, sir, and there are a lot of people who feel exactly the same way, and that's okay. I've stated on numerous occasions that the iPhone is not for everyone, however, neither is any other device. For someone who've tried every mobile platform except Ubuntu, and who usually research and physically tests before buying, it is easy for me to say that the iPhone is perfect for "me" because it is. Know what I mean? Anyway, thank you for your response and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day. ...;)

kelton

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Status symbol?

Ha. When I see someone with an iPhone, I find it disappointing and dull !! It's like they didn't spend any time to think it through and just bought what the next guy has. no brainer decision type thing

I'm a blackberry and Android guy....but that might change.

Last night, I was fiddling with my girlfriend's iPhone 5. Man, I gotta tell you. The thing operated with total stability. Hard to describe, but every app I opened seemed to function with purpose and confidence.... like it was meant to be there. There was a uniformity in the way they functioned, too.

There are a zillion androids, android apps, and (unfortunately) versions of the OS floating around.

My guess is that an apple app developer can focus on the app and not 101 kinds of compatibility issues.

I don't generally seek super fringe apps. I want to take good quality photos, take notes, and I enjoy the physical feel of a high quality device. Also, I like the idea that my go-to apps will always be there and will be a top priority for app developers as the ensure that it is rock solid for the phone.

I'm starting to appreciate that darn iPhone. I would never think of it as a status symbol, though.... no more than, say, a Toyota Camry.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your reply. The great thing is we all have choices in which phone we use. My personal preference might not be yours and that's fine. It doesn't mean that one device is better or worse than another. Once again, thanks for your well thought out response. Have a great day!

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

This is a good solid reply and completely understandable. The iPhone has matured and its audience changed. Many people actually leave other systems to come try it out these days, but in a war against android, its pretty neck and neck. Not in specs or maybe the amount of extra features, but in its overall value and quality to its audiences. Android takes a bit more work to enjoy in my opinion, but the payoff is customization where as ios lacks customization, but pays off in reliability.

Also if your going for android and want the best of both worlds, the new moto x is said to be an excellent choice. While it may not have the same physical specs as a htc one, it has been reviewed and found that it performs just as good as the big boys, has better batter battery life than many other phones and is a true google experience, something I think is important for android! Because its made closely under googles supervision it should benefit from many of the things the iPhone does (hardware/software optimization) although its not been out long enough to know for sure. Either way, enjoy your new phone whatever it may be.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not about status or any such nonsense. It's about being an adult, earning your own money and choosing which phone is best for you.

No one else should have to help you or convince you of anything.

As a heart patient, I was just leaving my cardio's office one day, on my way to have blood work done to try and figure out why I was having chest pain and feeling so sick……when, suddenly the HTC Evo 4G that I had, which was new and top of the line at the time, crashed in my bands and went into a boot loop.

That was enough for me to learn what's important….a good, reliable phone! I bought an iPhone as soon as Sprint got it and never looked back.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I hope you're feeling better soon verwon. I just put the cart before the horse, and created my Apple ID. :D

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm going back to iPhone because I value reliability, battery life, and software update support in my phone. The thing is, I'm not switching because I thought android was terrible, it just wasn't right for my needs in a smartphone. I think google and android should be applauded, actually. They've done some great things and made huge strides in just a few short years.

But the thing that worried me a lot about android is that if your getting a phone that's not a nexus or google play edition, your at risk of not receiving updates because phone carriers are jerks. Or your phone OEM dosent care. I didn't want to make a several hundred dollar gamble like that. Play services is awesome though and should help a lot, but still.

Also to me, ios just seems more stable, the camera is pretty great, it's battery life is really good, and I think it's user experience is more enjoyable. But I also don't root and don't want to, so I'm not going to be hacking my phone. Some like to, and that's great, but it's not for me. I want the phone to work awesome out of the box.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I hope you're feeling better soon verwon. I just put the cart before the horse, and created my Apple ID. :D

I have been doing wonderfully, thank you!

And there is no harm in that, you'll have an ID set up and ready to go for whenever you need it.

I had one years before I ever bought an Apple product. I just had to log-in and update it, when I bought my first one. :)

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Still using the i4S. It's that good. I believe in iOS. So good is iOS, a hardware update is an unnecessary thing every 2-3 years. My next one will probably be the i5S.

Posted via CB10

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Still using the i4S. It's that good. I believe in iOS. So good is iOS, a hardware update is an unnecessary thing every 2-3 years. My next one will probably be the i5S.

Posted via CB10

I can agree with that. When I look at my 4S, it isn't much slower than my 5. Although no LTE is a big difference, the rear is just a marginal upgrade.

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Still using my 3GS - iOS has been evolving throughout its long life. It is 85% different since the day I got it. I'm surprised what my old 600Mhz/256MB phone can do after all the new features added. Each iOS upgrade was like "my old phone can do this too? I'm getting the i5S this time. The camera on my 3GS has a little moisture in it (from last time it got dipped in water) it takes blurry pictures, lol. I'm excited to finally get to use the backup feature on iCloud.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been doing wonderfully, thank you!

And there is no harm in that, you'll have an ID set up and ready to go for whenever you need it.

I had one years before I ever bought an Apple product. I just had to log-in and update it, when I bought my first one. :)
Glad to hear hear that you're feeling better, Verwon. :) I also had an Apple ID set up before I bought my 3GS which worked out just fine.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear hear that you're feeling better, Verwon. :) I also had an Apple ID set up before I bought my 3GS which worked out just fine.

Thank you! And I don't think anyone can go wrong with an Apple ID, it's not like you have to use it, just because you have created it, but it will be there and be available, for a time you may need it. :)

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
When I created my ID. I opened iTunes and it synced all my music from my PC.
I still use Amazon MP3, and besides an external hard drive.
I have my photos backed up on Amazon Cloud Drive.
Both work without a hitch on Android.
But I am not sure about IOS.
Maybe someone here can give me their input if they do. Thanks :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73