Is iPhone just a status symbol?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

You think that's a troll? No a troll is someone who deliberately stirs up trouble/arguments. I came here just to see what iphone is like and why people are willing to pay so much for a locked down device which lacks advanced features/customisation.

It's pretty sad the iphone forum can't handle criticism which is completely obvious to everyone about the phone.

Your posts define trolling (though you're not a very good one to be honest)...you came here to deliberately start an argument, so you yourself have defined your existence on this forum as one of trolling.

People can handle criticism here quite well, happens all the time. What people grow sick of is little pi$s ants who come here like the little bully on the school yard play ground...you throw a punch and then you hide behind the facade of "having an opinion" or as you put it "seeing what the iPhone is like" while cowering behind the teacher when everyone else comes at you. You're too cowardly to admit why you're really here, so you try to portray this elaborate quest for knowledge. You're most likely an alter-ego of someone who did the same thing in the past and was either banned or left, and I'm sure once this screen name winds up in the same boat, you'll make a new name and start all over again.

The beauty of it all really though is the fact that people like you, as useless and illegitimate as you are to the community, actually bring out the best IN the community...you strengthen the core because people will sit and argue with you, and they'll show their true colors, their loyalty and their true enjoyment of the product at hand...and you sit there as the bullseye...and you sharpen their abilities to converse skillfully on here by continuing the redundant arguments you present.

In reality, you're actually a really great part of the forum here, because every time someone comes here and reads your ridiculous banter, they probably sit back and go "This place aint half bad" because they see everyone band together to point out your idiocy. In the end, while you bury yourself with your asinine attempts at "logic", you're doing the forum a favor...and I bet realizing that just chaps your *** something fierce doesn't it?

Keep it up, kiddo! :beer:

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Wanted198, you said "Honestly I don't see one part of my statement that isn't true though."

Unfortunately, others do. Bottom line don't insult people if u want them to play nice. Don't act like you did not try to troll. And finally own up to it, and if you can easily afford both (like you said) buy both and the one you don't like "throw it against the wall". Originally it'd be interesting to know what u thought, but at this point I know regardless how good the iPhone was you will trash it and people that like to use it. At this point this whole thread is just entertainment while trying to out-wit the triller. Tag - you're "it".

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site

You think that's a troll? No a troll is someone who deliberately stirs up trouble/arguments. I came here just to see what iphone is like and why people are willing to pay so much for a locked down device which lacks advanced features/customisation.

It's pretty sad the iphone forum can't handle criticism which is completely obvious to everyone about the phone.
You are NOT here to know what an iPhone is like. You know why you came here? to troll us that's why. You are a troll because you did deliberately stir us up and now you have given us the opportunity to strengthen the unity on this board to deal with you little trolls. a bit like the immune system(us) learning how to to take down new diseases(you) so I thank you for making us stronger and for giving us unity. On a side note your posts are extremely stupid and I can't believe your lack of knowledge.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I went too far, huh?

EDIT: but it's defiantly Freeware.

I like Alik's assessment, Chet most of the Android apps and Android itself feels like a half assed put together piece of Freeware when compared to the smoothness and polished interface of iOS.

See wanted I can say that cause I've used Android for two years.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I like Alik's assessment, Chet most of the Android apps and Android itself feels like a half assed put together piece of Freeware when compared to the smoothness and polished interface of iOS.

See wanted I can say that cause I've used Android for two years.

But not on a Nexus. believe me if you find HOLO based apps you will be blown away! trust me it really looks elegant.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
But not on a Nexus. believe me if you find HOLO based apps you will be blown away! trust me it really looks elegant.

I know I owned a Nexus device. But the problem with Android developers is they drag their feet on updating their apps to Google's standards.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I know I owned a Nexus device. But the problem with Android developers is they drag their feet on updating their apps to Google's standards.

Definitely agree there.
Note: I by no way believe what the OP says and do not agree with him.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Why don't you stake out an Apple store until they ban you and them post conspiracy theories about Apple sending people to watch you from your garbage can? You know, like you boasted about at CB about Samsung.

I think you're a troll because you have gone to three sites on MN and acted like a lunatic. How you aren't permabanned I'll never know.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
so, lets start from the beginning.
"I am being honest here, is iPhone just a status phone rather than something actually worth the money?": first you come out with a statement that shows that you hate iphone because it is over priced.

"Honestly I look at it as something that's overpriced and unintelligent people buy for a status symbol. And to be fair a lot of the people using it find android too complicated...": you just justified my statement above.

"If it's "just a simple phone and nothing more" why does it cost so much?":this statement portrays you like a guy who has an old nokia or blackberry phone standing out of an apple store and thinking why the hell people are buying this?:crying: i can't even afford it! btw 'simplicity ' here is about the user interface and the design. No "smart" gestures nor any wood to make it a selling point for the phone. it is just a clean product presented to you.

"And like I said: There is the Nokia Asha 210 for that and many other basic phones. No need to crank up to $650 just to have a piece of fruit on the back, is there?" now this seems like you are really dumb. Even though blackberry phones don't have a fruit on their back yet blackberry is still a fruit like apple is.

"I currently have no phone. I wanted to know what iphone is like. But it just looks like people are paying more than top range android devices for something that is locked down and not much can be..."
haha really? who said iphone is locked down. You can do all sorts of things by jailbreaking. but most people opt not to jailbreak because either they are tired of these things or they dont care about the gimmicks.

"Well to be fair I can easily afford an iphone too. I could buy an android, and then an iphone, and I could smash the iphone purely because I've got money I don't even need."
strangely you are like a small kid who boasts of how many beyblades or pokemon cards he has.

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I make true points about how overpriced the phone is... and that makes me a troll?

The one good thing I have to say about the phone is how it looks. Yes, it is one of the best looking phones if not the best looking one at the moment, in black for sure.

But no, people should be smart enough to buy something else than spend extortionate rates on a phone they have locked down and made simple. All it requires to make something simple is to cut features out, or in this case don't put them there in the first place. That is less work. So you're paying more for less work.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I make true points about how overpriced the phone is... and that makes me a troll?

The one good thing I have to say about the phone is how it looks. Yes, it is one of the best looking phones if not the best looking one at the moment, in black for sure.

But no, people should be smart enough to buy something else than spend extortionate rates on a phone they have locked down and made simple. All it requires to make something simple is to cut features out, or in this case don't put them there in the first place. That is less work. So you're paying more for less work.

I would gladly pay more for something that is simpler to operate. I don't see the logic in paying for something more complicated.

Sent from my smoking hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Especially when the so-called features are just gimmicks.

I'm not saying that the Android features are gimmicks. I like a lot of them. But if I were to pay more for a product, I would want it to be easier to use, not more confusing.

Sent from my smoking hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
An item is only overpriced if no one is willing to pay it. The iPhone holds its value, which is why 2 years out, you are paying almost full price for a used phone. Unlike Android and BlackBerry, both of which have flagship phones that drop to a penny within months of release.

​That's pretty telling.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
An item is only overpriced if no one is willing to pay it. The iPhone holds its value, which is why 2 years out, you are paying almost full price for a used phone. Unlike Android and BlackBerry, both of which have flagship phones that drop to a penny within months of release.

​That's pretty telling.

Agreed Alli the iPhone 5s won't ever drop to a penny cause it sells hmm unlock like the Z10 which they had to drop so it would sell.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I currently have no phone. I wanted to know what iphone is like. But it just looks like people are paying more than top range android devices for something that is locked down and not much can be done. People pay more for a flagship android because it has better software/hardware features. Why do you pay even more for something which has virtually nothing and is extremely simple? iphone should be in the budget range, with its secluded OS and small screen. I think people do it for the brand, and Im not one of the people who finds that impressive - the opposite.

I am getting board warnings at every turn and even a ban by moderators, although the people insulting me on this topic are being blanked from any staff punishment.

I just recently moved from android to iPhone a few months ago. I've also owned a windows phone, and a palm webos Pre.
It there
I think there is a common misconception about the iPhone being "useless" compared to android or being a status thing. I was t at one point thinking the same, as a matter of fact, I know several people on this forum have been. 6 years ago, yes, the iPhone was a status thing, but its evolved a lot.

The reason I switched from android had a lot to do with stability and reliability as well as hardware quality, and it was a great reason, but there's actually a lot more to the phone than people think.

First off, compared to android, there is little that is actually missing. I seriously did not think I would adjust because, like you, I was under the impression that it was just a simple phone for people wanting something simple (I think saying it was for uneducated people was a bit insulting because I am educated and chose to buy this based on several weeks of research and I know many more who use it for the apps it has) When I got it, I had my phone exactly like I want it, and even found some nice welcoming features compared to android.

Here's what I like
- easy one stop area to turn off notifications and even several unified options for them.
- when an app is closed, its closed. Android does not always close apps like you think
- I have yet to have malware issues. I'm sorry, when I buy an app from the android market, I don't want to have to hope that it works right and won't send me notifications every five minutes from apps I didn't even download because it downloaded a bunch of random apps....
- so much less force closing or issues like that
- better quality apps as you said, however, this is a lot more important than you think for many as there are certain apps only for ios.
- a good and high quality built in video calling service (this is good if video calling is important to you)
- notifications on the lock screen (though I think android 4.2 does this now
- guaranteed updates for the life of your contract and as soon as available
- generally better battery life than a good portion of android phones considering the size
- smooth OS with few issues
- a phone that isn't giant
- several options for contact tones including text tones, ringtones and vibrate patterns (only Samsung offers this)
- quick access to music
- very similar features to android
- a full backup service

Now here's what you need to know about the actually differences. Aside from customizing a launcher, widgets and choosing default apps, there isn't much else android does different (excluding manufacturer customizations). Changing themes requires putting a completely different rom on the device which sucks. Many apps with special features require rooting, and many of the manufacturer features seem gimmicky and are poorly executed more often than not. Pure android and ios are honestly similar enough to where one cannot say one is superior to the other as both have their ups and downs. I like the holo design, choosing the default apps, and device options, but I find the manufacturers kill the android experience by slow if no updates, crappy implementations of updates, and sometimes glitchy or distracting skins. I like being able to know I can rely on my phone working when I need it. I like that the battery lasts long even on 4g compared to any phone I've had. I like that I know my phone takes good pictures and all around it feels like a quality phone. It's worth the money I paid, and I bought it off contact just to get away from my android phone which was equally
priced when purchased. I think android has great potential and I hope the Moto X finally gives android the smooth reliable experience that people love about apple. I am a tech nerd and some of the cool features android phone makers come up with seem awesome, but that's exactly what they want, people like you and me to buy into features that most people honestly never use. I have not felt deprived with my iPhone at all. Someone mentioned cars before, lets use this analogy. Given the option of a car with good crash tests, good reliability, good gas mileage, and comparable features to other cars, or the car that isn't always reliable, gas mileage varies substantially, is less safe, but has more features (many which are not important to most people and is the same price which one would you choose? I'm going with the car I can rely on and has good features still. You use the analogy I can get a dumb phone if I want reliable, (implying the iPhone has no features) however there are only a few features it lacks compared to android and most of them are not important to most people. I learned how wrong I was when I got my iPhone so you likely won't understand unless you get one as well. My best friend thinks exactly as you do about my phone, yet, in 6 months I've gotten more updates from apple then him, his phone was abandoned less than a year after being introduced. Why would I want a product with so little support? Screen size? That's completely a personal perspective as many people like many sizes.

The whole "status" thing is just the old way of thinking that everyone buys iPhones for status, but I could care less about that. I like it because its a quality phone in every way I need it to be. I actually am not even a fan of the company apple, but I can say the same for Samsung, and Microsoft. I buy what works best for me, I could care less if its got a fruit symbol or not. Just don't think iPhones are for uneducated people, as many people on here have tried several different devices and have based their opinions on actual experience not speculation or what they have heard or think. Even with tons of research there is only so much you can learn without your own experience. Hope this helped and was what you came on here looking for.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like Android is for you. That's totally fine, and in my experience there's much to like. Android Central and XDA Developers have a wealth of info, resources, and guides should you choose to go the Root/Custom ROM path.

I, like others here, have used iOS, Android, BlackBerry/RIM, Windows Mobile...ultimately it comes down to what each of us value and perceive to be the best for us.

Reading the posts you've shared, it sounds like you may have a philosophical or perhaps even moral conundrum about how much Apple devices cost. I can appreciate that, and consider myself fortunate that I can afford them.

So, since you want to know what iPhone is like; you've seen some information here in this thread. I encourage you to research more. One thing I think may help is to build your own Features and Functions matrix. Put down all the smartphone features that are important to you, and then compare iOS and Android side by side. If Android has more features than iOS, and it costs less and meets your philosophical and moral requirements-then go for Android.

This is an awesome piece of advice and so true!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox