Is iPhone just a status symbol?

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

Sounds like Android is for you. That's totally fine, and in my experience there's much to like. Android Central and XDA Developers have a wealth of info, resources, and guides should you choose to go the Root/Custom ROM path.

I like others here, have used iOS, Android, BlackBerry/RIM, Windows Mobile...ultimately it comes down to what each of us value and perceive to be the best for us.

Reading the posts you've shared, it sounds like you may have a philosophical or perhaps even moral conundrum about how much Apple devices cost. I can appreciate that, and consider myself fortunate that I can afford them.

So, since you want to know what iPhone is like; you've seen some information here in this thread. I encourage you to research more. One thing I think may help is to build your own Features and Functions matrix. Put down all the smartphone features that are important to you, and then compare iOS and Android side by side. If Android has more features than iOS, and it costs less and meets your philosophical and moral requirements-then go for Android.

Well to be fair I can easily afford an iphone too. I could buy an android, and then an iphone, and I could smash the iphone purely because I've got money I don't even need. Nice how you slyly add in about how you're so rich though, yeah.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I don't view something as a status symbol when you could go down to your local welfare office and half of the people waiting to get government assistance have the item in question, but that is just me.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
No phone is a status symbol. They are just phones that have different operating systems and hardware. Different strokes for different folks. IMHO this thread has run it's course.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Well to be fair I can easily afford an iphone too. I could buy an android, and then an iphone, and I could smash the iphone purely because I've got money I don't even need. Nice how you slyly add in about how you're so rich though, yeah.

Bro, there was no sly intent about wealth. Rather me being thankful that I and my wife have, and continue to work really hard in order to provide for our family. Thus we are fortunate that we can afford smartphones - whether they're Android or iOS based. I'm a WYSIWYG guy, but understand that the written word is fallible, and thus easily open to misinterpretation.

What I take away from your response is perhaps a concern for, and about conspicuous consumption. Apple products are not the mutually exclusive owner here, if that's your concern. Do people over-consume and flaunt their acquisitions? Sure they do. Are some of those acquisitions Apple products? Sure they are. The same can be said for many other consumer goods, vehicles, homes, clothes, etc. But just because someone has an iPhone doesn't automatically qualify them or the iPhone as a status symbol.

And as others have noted, Apple products may just be a reasonable value if a comprehensive TCO/ROI analysis and perspective is applied and considered.

Last edited:

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

Honestly I look at it as something that's overpriced and unintelligent people buy for a status symbol. And to be fair a lot of the people using it find android too complicated...

Obviously you're a troll, I love talking to trolls, they get emotional when cornered, I didnt get to talk to a blackberry fan yet, so this is gonna be fun!

1. I still have my 3GS (waiting for 5s just because it'll be nice to have a new phone again after 5 years). When I chose my phone - there was NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE!
2. A lot of people using iOS are used to simplicity, and like me find android to be a chore, an unnecessary chore. Using android or anything after iOS is Horrible - the unfinished design that consists of bunch of inconsistent or redundant menus, settings, BLOATWARE, system reports is a Horrible experience that isnt WORTH $100, let alone $200. And occasional freezes, crashes, and restarts does not help. Overall experience with Apple products is exactly what people that buy them expect - no surprises, other then the fact that my old 3GS still gets full updates - 3 new Operating System overhauls, and many features it didnt come with when new. Most android phones loose support in 6 month.
3. Status, hippie, cult, associations are pushed by pro-android and anti-apple fud, like you. You will not see a group of iphone owners talk how they're so cool for owning apple, or have iphone only clubs or something. BUT, android folks actually do compare their phones to Apple - and the best you got is Screen, and Specs which android does not take advantage of properly (ahem, you need those specs to live up to iOS smoothness or consistency).
4. But honestly, I look at android phones (specially the high end models) as overpriced (they're unfinished products with a freeware for OS) and unintelligent people buy it for screen size. And to be fair a lot of people using android find themselves tweaking it everyday just to keep them running smooth enough to be usable.
5. Since you're a blackberry aficionado (that means "fan"), I was looking for something constructive toward that line - but I didn't know they were that relevant anymore.

Honestly talking about android, if you find value in a product that's primarily used as an ADVERTIZEMENT gateway - then that's your choice. I want a personal assistant for about $200 and I had one for the last 5 years. It works for me - I dont work for it.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Why am I a troll because I ask a question and come here with a negative view on iphone?

Perhaps they've seen one of your various posts where you bash the iPhone and insult the users of this forum.
Why don't you crawl back under your bridge?

If you've been on the iMore forums you'll realise iPhone users don't care (or understand) about features. They pay a premium price to have a phone that is extensively limited, locked down, and friendly towards people with one-digit IQs. And that it has a piece of fruit on the back, probably to remind them to eat it once in a while.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...r-than-iphone-842798/index17.html#post9071251

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Why am I a troll because I ask a question and come here with a negative view on iphone?

Yes, because you come into an iPhone forum and insult us as iPhone users asking why anyone would buy "simple, walled OS, over priced piece of crap."

I think I can speak for all of us we don't care what you use but with the evidence piling up, yes I believe we can call you a troll since you are bashing a product you've NEVER used!

Now 3 years ago after I owned the original iPhone and the 3G I used a blackberry and 4 Android phones, boy did I turn into the biggest "Fandroid" bashing my friends who were too "stupid" using an iPhone and I tried to convert most of them actually succeeding with a couple. But I could bash it LOL cause I actually used the devices and I was "bored" and fed up at the time with the lack of features.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I think you are because of your behaviour on all the MN sites (your unsolicited PM arguments as to why you aren't notwithstanding).

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

That's pretty much the definition. You obviously didn't come in here to find out how the iPhone works so that you could consider purchasing one.

​My advice to all is that they put you on their ignore list and move on.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

That's pretty much the definition. You obviously didn't come in here to find out how the iPhone works so that you could consider purchasing one.

He’s been on mine since before he was banned the last time...

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

It's not just having a negative view on iphone, see, I have a negative view on Android phones, and both examples are ok. But YOU have a negative view of people who choose something you dont care about. Then you ridicule and insult them, after you unsuccessfully try to pose yourself as someone who is unbiased.

When I got to Android forums, Car forums Political forums, etc. - I state my bias to be fair, and I state my point, and ask questions. I get respected. How about you answer my question - if you think you know value - Why would you pay $200 subsidized or worse, full price, for a device that is designed to increase advertizing revenue for an advertizement company. Is it because they offer ability to make calls, and change wallpapers? Why would you pay for a device that uses FREEWARE (free software to push advertizing or other products) as a core OPERATING SYSTEM. A better value would be if they pay you to use it, not the other way around. Samsung doesn't even respect their customers to install a finished gimmick that works consistently. Google just announced that "you should not expect your privacy when using their products". And the proof = how much bloatware is on your "latest and greatest" they're all fighting for your clicks: Google, Samsung, HTC, AT&T, Verizon - all have their preinstalled unremovable but useless bloatware. <--- that's forced advertizing at its best. Bro, you've been lied to, but no, you have a widget (also buncha pre-installed useless ones), yey!!!

People choose iPhone because they want a TOOL! People choose Android for the same reason but receive a gimmick instead.

To everyone else, sorry guys, but this guy is pissing me off. He offends others, and does not answer when presented with a reply - lets see him answer these...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

It's not just having a negative view on iphone, see, I have a negative view on Android phones, and both examples are ok. But YOU have a negative view of people who choose something you dont care about. Then you ridicule and insult them, after you unsuccessfully try to pose yourself as someone who is unbiased.

When I got to Android forums, Car forums Political forums, etc. - I state my bias to be fair, and I state my point, and ask questions. I get respected. How about you answer my question - if you think you know value - Why would you pay $200 subsidized or worse, full price, for a device that is designed to increase advertizing revenue for an advertizement company. Is it because they offer ability to make calls, and change wallpapers? Why would you pay for a device that uses FREEWARE (free software to push advertizing or other products) as a core OPERATING SYSTEM. A better value would be if they pay you to use it, not the other way around. Samsung doesn't even respect their customers to install a finished gimmick that works consistently. Google just announced that "you should not expect your privacy when using their products". And the proof = how much bloatware is on your "latest and greatest" they're all fighting for your clicks: Google, Samsung, HTC, AT&T, Verizon - all have their preinstalled unremovable but useless bloatware. <--- that's forced advertizing at its best. Bro, you've been lied to, but no, you have a widget (also buncha pre-installed useless ones), yey!!!

People choose iPhone because they want a TOOL! People choose Android for the same reason but receive a gimmick instead.
'Nuff said.

farside33

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
For some, the mobile devices that they carry can be considered as a status symbol, or as a need to fit in with their friends and peers.

Today's mobile users have an expectation that their information and data will be available on any one of their devices (Laptop, Tablet, and Phone) at any time. With that there are only three platforms that really offer this option:

1. Apple: Mac OS Laptops, IOS Phones and Tablets (One brand)

2. Google: Chrome Books, Android Phones and Tablets (multiple brands)

3. Microsoft: Windows Laptops, Phones and Tablets (multiple brands)

For those who actually rely on these devices for their daily routines and jobs, they look at the entire ecosystem that a given platform offers and how it fits into their needs to get things accomplished (both at work and at play). They have done their research and selected the appropriate platform. Those individuals who fit into this group do not select their platform based on carrying a status symbol, they are simply carrying a tool and a toy!

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site

To everyone else, sorry guys, but this guy is pissing me off. He offends others, and does not answer when presented with a reply - lets see him answer these...
Android is a gimmick? That's new.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Android is a gimmick? That's new.

Android certainly is not a gimmick. But some of the devices on android try hard at passing off gimmicks as innovation. But hey, it's working. The Samsung S series has even the so-called 'intelligent' writers praising Samsung for this apparent innovation while denouncing Apple for its lack there-of.

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

You think that's a troll? No a troll is someone who deliberately stirs up trouble/arguments. I came here just to see what iphone is like and why people are willing to pay so much for a locked down device which lacks advanced features/customisation.

It's pretty sad the iphone forum can't handle criticism which is completely obvious to everyone about the phone.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps they've seen one of your various posts where you bash the iPhone and insult the users of this forum.
Why don't you crawl back under your bridge?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...r-than-iphone-842798/index17.html#post9071251

Now that his true feelings and tactics are known, I think watching the "Apologize to My Mule" scene from Clint Eastwood in "A Fistfull of Dollars" is fitting repentance. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=5Mk_sUPtYjw

Last edited:

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Now that his true feelings and tactics are known, I think watching the "Apologize to My Mule" scene from Clint Eastwood in "A Fistfull of Dollars" is fitting repentance.

Honestly I don't see one part of my statement that isn't true though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro