Is iPhone just a status symbol?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I've owned Apple devices since the original iPod and been happy with Apple products ever since. For me it was a natural transition to the iPhone. Status symbol or not, I love my iPhone as it functions perfectly for me. You can only use the product and decide for yourself if its good for you.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

Honestly I look at it as something that's overpriced and unintelligent people buy for a status symbol. And to be fair a lot of the people using it find android too complicated...

My BS in Chemical Engineering and my MBA are vehemently disagreeing with this asinine statement...

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site

I don't look at the iPhone (or any consumer device available to the general population) as a status symbol. I look at the iPhone as a device that gets regular updates directly from the entity that makes the OS, that I can take to the Apple Store and get it fixed/replaced with little hassle rather than go to a carrier store or send it in to the maufacturer for them to inspect it, and that doesn't come with loads of carrier branded junk apps that I can't remove. This phone just works for me. My advice to others is buy whatever works for you. Choice of phone is not a good vs. evil, God vs. Devil, or Middle Earth vs. Sauron type decision. It's a phone. Get what works best for you and accept that your decision may not be applicable to everyone else's needs/wants.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not. I look at the iPhone as one of the most powerful, capable, smartphones on the market. I absolutely love it. Best piece of tech I own just above my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely to some it's a status symbol, let's be real here.

But to others driving a Jaguar or shopping at stores so expensive I've never even heard of them are status symbols too. Everything in life can be called a status symbol but who cares?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
No my iPhone 5 is not a status symbol.

1. I use every APP I have installed.
2. I have quite a few APPS I use for my job. 1 APP is a custom APP written by an engineer I work with that helps making quick calculations when I'm working away from my office.
3. I have several APPs that I use while I'm boating, weather, sea conditions, backup for my chart plotter.
4. I have a couple of APPs the come in handy during thunderstorm season so I can see if I'm going to get hit with bad weather.

I also like the size of my iPhone. If it gets bigger I will stay with the one I have.

So no my iPhone is not a status symbol.

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

If it's "just a simple phone and nothing more" why does it cost so much? This is just like Macs, you're paying for a brand, and it appears none of you even realise it.

And I got a fraction here for posting my proof where I believe a moderator asked me why that article is racist. Oh well, it's not like a ban from imore is going to matter.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

If it's "just a simple phone and nothing more" why does it cost so much? This is just like Macs, you're paying for a brand, and it appears none of you even realise it.

Who are you even quoting? Or are you just spouting off about some random comment you heard waiting in line for your dollar cheeseburger and dollar coke off the value menu because let's face it, you are a man about value......
Costs so much compared to what? The 16GB iphone 5 is $649 out of contract on Verizon. The 16GB galaxy S4 is $599. WOAH!! $50!! Granted the iphone 5 is not made out of plastic but I digress......

Oh well, it's not like a ban from imore is going to matter.

Sure it will. Because you keep coming back. It eats at you that no one here agrees with you nor cares about the pish posh nonsense that you continue to spew. So, again, you will reply. And no one will take you seriously. Oh yeah, and as far as a status symbol? Only if you want it to be. If you want to view me or anyone else as having a status because we choose to wield the device that works and appeals best to us, then have at it pal. You won't offend me any if you do.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

And I got a fraction here for posting my proof where I believe a moderator asked me why that article is racist. Oh well, it's not like a ban from imore is going to matter.

No time like the present...

banhammer.png

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Let's approach this from your asinine and illogical basis (just for discussion's sake)...people are buying Apple products for the status, and not because of any kind of personal preference across the spectrum of why people buy things. So what? What difference does it make to you? Nobody is twisting your arm to buy an iPhone or a Macbook Pro or an iPad...they're spending their money on something they want. A person could buy a Macbook Pro because they like the fact it comes with an Apple sticker and NOTHING else, and what difference would it make to you, I or anyone but that person?

You seem to get caught up in trying to justify people's expenditures within the model of your own preferences, values and wants/needs. This kind of thought process makes zero sense. You might like midgets licking ice cream off your nipples...you might like it enough to spend thousands of dollars on it, and you might like it simply because people think it's odd. Am I supposed to sit here and tell you that you're wasting your money? I could give a crap if that kind of thing makes you happy, and even further more, couldn't care less WHY you do it. And all the while, you sit and try to understand why people buy what they do...only to tell them "No, this is why you do it..." when they respond to it.

To be honest, I'm not going to judge you for your midget fetish...and if you feel that people are only buying these Apple products to parade around telling people they did so, why are you getting all up in arms about it? Don't you have some whipped cream to buy instead of sitting here all day trying to convince us that your opinion is what is right?

Lastly, you had no proof of any racism within that article because there was no proof to be had. You assumed this issue without reading or comprehending the article...now we know you have a comprehension issues, but at least read the stuff you comment on.

Now go do your thing man! Nobodies judging you for it here! Have a good one!

Amazing+Photos+Of+Vintage+Midget+Wrestling+(1).jpg

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

IAnd I got a fraction here for posting my proof where I believe a moderator asked me why that article is racist. Oh well, it's not like a ban from imore is going to matter.

You were asked several times now to stop attempting to turn this thread into a racial discussion, yet you insist on bringing it up. Lets get back to the topic of your thread. Thanks.

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Who are you even quoting? Or are you just spouting off about some random comment you heard waiting in line for your dollar cheeseburger and dollar coke off the value menu because let's face it, you are a man about value......
Costs so much compared to what? The 16GB iphone 5 is $649 out of contract on Verizon. The 16GB galaxy S4 is $599. WOAH!! $50!! Granted the iphone 5 is not made out of plastic but I digress......

Sure it will. Because you keep coming back. It eats at you that no one here agrees with you nor cares about the pish posh nonsense that you continue to spew. So, again, you will reply. And no one will take you seriously. Oh yeah, and as far as a status symbol? Only if you want it to be. If you want to view me or anyone else as having a status because we choose to wield the device that works and appeals best to us, then have at it pal. You won't offend me any if you do.

Lmao, when it comes to a phone no I'm not "a man of value". You're speaking as if the iphone and S4 are equivallent though? No... the android OS you can do whatever you want with it, customise it to the max, all kinds of great things. Look at iOS it is completely locked down and basic for simpletons. Why would you pay equivalent or more for something that can do so much less. Sorry but quality/stability of the physical phone doesn't constitute that.

Last edited by a moderator:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Do you own or use ANY Apple products? Are you just here to spew ordure? Upthread, you said you were going away from here... when will you live up to your word?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Look at iOS it is completely locked down and basic for simpletons. Why would you pay equivalent or more for something that can do so much less. Sorry but quality/stability of the physical phone doesn't constitute that.

"Basic for simpletons"? Or "just works" for people that don’t want to constantly tweak a device just to make it work properly? IMHO, the "quality/stability of the physical phone" does, in fact, constitute a solid device and a happy customer experience. Granted, I’m just one man with an opinion that I stand by and can defend, even though it’s MY money and I can spend it however I choose. And frankly, I don’t give a second thought (actually, I don’t even give a first thought) to any of the device slamming vitriol and FUD spewed someone of your stature.

Do you own or use ANY Apple products? Are you just here to spew ordure? Upthread, you said you were going away from here... when will you live up to your word?

Clearly he’s here to cause trouble... and he is now on my "ignore" list. He’s earned it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Lmao, when it comes to a phone no I'm not "a man of value". You're speaking as if the iphone and S4 are equivallent though? No... the android OS you can do whatever you want with it, customise it to the max, all kinds of great things. Look at iOS it is completely locked down and basic for simpletons. Why would you pay equivalent or more for something that can do so much less. Sorry but quality/stability of the physical phone doesn't constitute that.
I've used Android devices in the past and while I do agree that they are more customizable out of the box than a iOS device, you absolutely can not customize an Android device to the "Max" without rooting it first. You can accomplish the same thing with iOS devices by Jailbreaking which is no different than Having to Root a device to gain more functionality, IMHO.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2