Is iPhone just a status symbol?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

guys and girls don't you think that we're giving too much importance to a post by a fandroid?

I believe the OP uses a Blackberry phone. Not that it should matter, though. We don't need to resort to name calling here. Thanks.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I didn't buy the iPhone because it's an Apple product, I buy the iPhone because it offers the features I need and like, the form and function I prefer in a smart phone and the working environment that i find optimal for my day to day smart phone needs and desires.

Well said. When I moved from a BlackBerry to iPhone I didn't do it because of loyalty to Apple, the number of apps in the App Store, or some perceived status I would get from owning an iPhone. I made a list of the what I was looking for in a phone and I choose the one that best fit what I needed.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am heading over the iPhone side next upgrade.
I had the first Gen and wasn't crazy about it.
But times have changed, and so has the iPhone.
I keep hearing how it just "works", and that's what I need from my smartphone.
IMHO, I have had an Android device for almost two years.
And I look at the Android OS as a vintage MG convertible.
If you don't mind the constant tweaking under the hood, than that is the way to go. ;)

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Well said. When I moved from a BlackBerry to iPhone I didn't do it because of loyalty to Apple, the number of apps in the App Store, or some perceived status I would get from owning an iPhone. I made a list of the what I was looking for in a phone and I choose the one that best fit what I needed.
Same here, although owning an iPad and a MBP gave me a feeling of trust in the software/hardware quality of Apple products.
I keep hearing how it just "works", and that's what I need from my smartphone.

IMHO, I have had an Android device for almost two years.
And I look at the Android OS as a vintage MG convertible.
If you don't mind the constant tweaking under the hood, than that is the way to go. ;)
Hmm, i wonder who has been telling you that "it just works" :D

Love the MG comparison ;)

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I've never considered a cell phone, that anyone can acquire, without needing to be wealthy or well educated or sophisticated as a status symbol. If it works for you and others think of it as a status symbol then that's what it is for whomever views it that way. It sounds like the op sees it as something people with high status only have.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I've never considered a cell phone, that anyone can acquire, without needing to be wealthy or well educated or sophisticated as a status symbol. If it works for you and others think of it as a status symbol then that's what it is for whomever views it that way. It sounds like the op sees it as something people with high status only have.

well said. probably among college or even school students it might act as a status symbol.
if i use the phone which many celebs use then how can it be a status symbol as those guys earn way more than i do and travel in cars way expensive than what i have.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Same here, although owning an iPad and a MBP gave me a feeling of trust in the software/hardware quality of Apple products. Hmm, i wonder who has been telling you that "it just works" :D

Love the MG comparison ;)

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

Can I guess Charlyee? :D

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I am being honest here, is iPhone just a status phone rather than something actually worth the money? I agree the app market is full of quality apps unlike android where people can put complete crap up, but I really don't think iPhone is worth the money and it's just paying for a brand. Anyone able to change my mind?

I just picked up a iPhone 5 after having all other platforms and I have to say its the most stable platform I have ever used ! I am extremely impressed with the phone and it looks like its going to be a keeper. Aside from the awesome App selection the OS is very stable compared to other platforms which makes the transition that much easier.

yelmonster

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Here in the Philippines, no phone was a status symbol -w e all grew up holding Nokias, and we were all equal then. Then came the Blackberries and the iPhones: If you had an iPhone, you were a rich kid, if you were holding a Blackberry, you were a successful professional. But then again, that was about 5-6 years ago.

Today, most of the things I'm hearing from us Filipinos:

If you're holding an old Blackberry Curve, you're poor;
A small screened Android smartphone, you're poor;
A non-retina iPhone, you're poor;
A Windows Phone - you're a hipster (WP hasn't really been big in the PH...yet)

From what I've observed, not many are really interested in someone who has a top tier device here in the PH.
Like for me, an officemate of mine had just gotten a new iPhone 5, and not once did we notice it, or even greeted him when he got it. But when another workmate of mine changed from an S4 to a Samsung Champ, everyone was all "what happened?!"

scribacco

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I am being honest here, is iPhone just a status phone rather than something actually worth the money? I agree the app market is full of quality apps unlike android where people can put complete crap up, but I really don't think iPhone is worth the money and it's just paying for a brand. Anyone able to change my mind?
I tried other phones and currently own an HTC One and an iphone 5 but but honestly the only thing I like about the other phone is the bigger screen..I do not see any better OS than IOS out there..definitely not a status symbol for me but a phone that just works

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Honestly I look at it as something that's overpriced and unintelligent people buy for a status symbol. And to be fair a lot of the people using it find android too complicated...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Honestly I look at it as something that's overpriced and unintelligent people buy for a status symbol. And to be fair a lot of the people using it find android too complicated...

Interesting and quite unfounded observations. But you are entitled to your opinions regardless of how blatantly incorrect they are. Now if you don't mind, I'm tiring of crackberry calling and asking for their little troll to come home. Scurry along now lil fella....