An item is only overpriced if no one is willing to pay it. The iPhone holds its value, which is why 2 years out, you are paying almost full price for a used phone. Unlike Android and BlackBerry, both of which have flagship phones that drop to a penny within months of release.

​That's pretty telling.
    swarlos, kch50428, pr1nce and 2 others like this.
    09-02-2013 08:08 PM
    An item is only overpriced if no one is willing to pay it. The iPhone holds its value, which is why 2 years out, you are paying almost full price for a used phone. Unlike Android and BlackBerry, both of which have flagship phones that drop to a penny within months of release.

​That's pretty telling.
    Agreed Alli the iPhone 5s won't ever drop to a penny cause it sells hmm unlock like the Z10 which they had to drop so it would sell.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    09-02-2013 08:10 PM
    You can get a Honda Odyssey minivan for about the same price as a BMW 3
    Series car.
    I just want to see you take six kids for ice cream in a BMW 3 (without using the trunk, that is)
    09-02-2013 10:40 PM
    I currently have no phone. I wanted to know what iphone is like. But it just looks like people are paying more than top range android devices for something that is locked down and not much can be done. People pay more for a flagship android because it has better software/hardware features. Why do you pay even more for something which has virtually nothing and is extremely simple? iphone should be in the budget range, with its secluded OS and small screen. I think people do it for the brand, and Im not one of the people who finds that impressive - the opposite.

I am getting board warnings at every turn and even a ban by moderators, although the people insulting me on this topic are being blanked from any staff punishment.
    I just recently moved from android to iPhone a few months ago. I've also owned a windows phone, and a palm webos Pre.
    It there
    I think there is a common misconception about the iPhone being "useless" compared to android or being a status thing. I was t at one point thinking the same, as a matter of fact, I know several people on this forum have been. 6 years ago, yes, the iPhone was a status thing, but its evolved a lot.

The reason I switched from android had a lot to do with stability and reliability as well as hardware quality, and it was a great reason, but there's actually a lot more to the phone than people think.

First off, compared to android, there is little that is actually missing. I seriously did not think I would adjust because, like you, I was under the impression that it was just a simple phone for people wanting something simple (I think saying it was for uneducated people was a bit insulting because I am educated and chose to buy this based on several weeks of research and I know many more who use it for the apps it has) When I got it, I had my phone exactly like I want it, and even found some nice welcoming features compared to android.

Here's what I like
    - easy one stop area to turn off notifications and even several unified options for them.
    - when an app is closed, its closed. Android does not always close apps like you think
    - I have yet to have malware issues. I'm sorry, when I buy an app from the android market, I don't want to have to hope that it works right and won't send me notifications every five minutes from apps I didn't even download because it downloaded a bunch of random apps....
    - so much less force closing or issues like that
    - better quality apps as you said, however, this is a lot more important than you think for many as there are certain apps only for ios.
    - a good and high quality built in video calling service (this is good if video calling is important to you)
    - notifications on the lock screen (though I think android 4.2 does this now
    - guaranteed updates for the life of your contract and as soon as available
    - generally better battery life than a good portion of android phones considering the size
    - smooth OS with few issues
    - a phone that isn't giant
    - several options for contact tones including text tones, ringtones and vibrate patterns (only Samsung offers this)
    - quick access to music
    - very similar features to android
    - a full backup service

Now here's what you need to know about the actually differences. Aside from customizing a launcher, widgets and choosing default apps, there isn't much else android does different (excluding manufacturer customizations). Changing themes requires putting a completely different rom on the device which sucks. Many apps with special features require rooting, and many of the manufacturer features seem gimmicky and are poorly executed more often than not. Pure android and ios are honestly similar enough to where one cannot say one is superior to the other as both have their ups and downs. I like the holo design, choosing the default apps, and device options, but I find the manufacturers kill the android experience by slow if no updates, crappy implementations of updates, and sometimes glitchy or distracting skins. I like being able to know I can rely on my phone working when I need it. I like that the battery lasts long even on 4g compared to any phone I've had. I like that I know my phone takes good pictures and all around it feels like a quality phone. It's worth the money I paid, and I bought it off contact just to get away from my android phone which was equally
    priced when purchased. I think android has great potential and I hope the Moto X finally gives android the smooth reliable experience that people love about apple. I am a tech nerd and some of the cool features android phone makers come up with seem awesome, but that's exactly what they want, people like you and me to buy into features that most people honestly never use. I have not felt deprived with my iPhone at all. Someone mentioned cars before, lets use this analogy. Given the option of a car with good crash tests, good reliability, good gas mileage, and comparable features to other cars, or the car that isn't always reliable, gas mileage varies substantially, is less safe, but has more features (many which are not important to most people and is the same price which one would you choose? I'm going with the car I can rely on and has good features still. You use the analogy I can get a dumb phone if I want reliable, (implying the iPhone has no features) however there are only a few features it lacks compared to android and most of them are not important to most people. I learned how wrong I was when I got my iPhone so you likely won't understand unless you get one as well. My best friend thinks exactly as you do about my phone, yet, in 6 months I've gotten more updates from apple then him, his phone was abandoned less than a year after being introduced. Why would I want a product with so little support? Screen size? That's completely a personal perspective as many people like many sizes.

The whole "status" thing is just the old way of thinking that everyone buys iPhones for status, but I could care less about that. I like it because its a quality phone in every way I need it to be. I actually am not even a fan of the company apple, but I can say the same for Samsung, and Microsoft. I buy what works best for me, I could care less if its got a fruit symbol or not. Just don't think iPhones are for uneducated people, as many people on here have tried several different devices and have based their opinions on actual experience not speculation or what they have heard or think. Even with tons of research there is only so much you can learn without your own experience. Hope this helped and was what you came on here looking for.
    Alli, verwon and Alik Malix like this.
    09-03-2013 02:04 AM
    Sounds like Android is for you. That's totally fine, and in my experience there's much to like. Android Central and XDA Developers have a wealth of info, resources, and guides should you choose to go the Root/Custom ROM path.

I, like others here, have used iOS, Android, BlackBerry/RIM, Windows Mobile...ultimately it comes down to what each of us value and perceive to be the best for us.

Reading the posts you've shared, it sounds like you may have a philosophical or perhaps even moral conundrum about how much Apple devices cost. I can appreciate that, and consider myself fortunate that I can afford them.

So, since you want to know what iPhone is like; you've seen some information here in this thread. I encourage you to research more. One thing I think may help is to build your own Features and Functions matrix. Put down all the smartphone features that are important to you, and then compare iOS and Android side by side. If Android has more features than iOS, and it costs less and meets your philosophical and moral requirements-then go for Android.
    This is an awesome piece of advice and so true!
    Trees likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:06 AM
    Your posts define trolling (though you're not a very good one to be honest)...you came here to deliberately start an argument, so you yourself have defined your existence on this forum as one of trolling.

People can handle criticism here quite well, happens all the time. What people grow sick of is little pi$s ants who come here like the little bully on the school yard play ground...you throw a punch and then you hide behind the facade of "having an opinion" or as you put it "seeing what the iPhone is like" while cowering behind the teacher when everyone else comes at you. You're too cowardly to admit why you're really here, so you try to portray this elaborate quest for knowledge. You're most likely an alter-ego of someone who did the same thing in the past and was either banned or left, and I'm sure once this screen name winds up in the same boat, you'll make a new name and start all over again.

The beauty of it all really though is the fact that people like you, as useless and illegitimate as you are to the community, actually bring out the best IN the community...you strengthen the core because people will sit and argue with you, and they'll show their true colors, their loyalty and their true enjoyment of the product at hand...and you sit there as the bullseye...and you sharpen their abilities to converse skillfully on here by continuing the redundant arguments you present.

In reality, you're actually a really great part of the forum here, because every time someone comes here and reads your ridiculous banter, they probably sit back and go "This place aint half bad" because they see everyone band together to point out your idiocy. In the end, while you bury yourself with your asinine attempts at "logic", you're doing the forum a favor...and I bet realizing that just chaps your *** something fierce doesn't it?

Keep it up, kiddo!
    I've only been on here about 6 months and I actually totally agree with you, specifically the last part. I like this forum so much better than most forums I've been on because

1. Most of the comments on here have been civil and there were even very polite ones DESPITE what appeared to be straight forward insults (single digit iq.... Seriously??
    2. Most people here are actually open minded about both sides. I have used android as well and know its got positives as well as negatives, most arguments on here are not that the iPhone is the best, but rather its the best for the individual and if someone prefers android theirs nothing wrong with it. The only reason this user is getting backlash is due to personal insults not because he doesn't like the device
    3. Users seem to stick up for each other
    4. I honestly don't feel like any true user here feels their opinions are better than someone else's. android users call iPhone users I sheep, however, I was on android central before here and I rarely saw threads like this on there. I really missed pre central because of its great environment which eventually turned sour with trolling. This community has an awesome user base, with intelligent, friendly, and helpful users.

Reading this thread has made that more apparent.
    swarlos likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:30 AM
    But not on a Nexus. believe me if you find HOLO based apps you will be blown away! trust me it really looks elegant.
    I've never used a nexus but I do agree holo apps are elegant, but google needs to be more forceful with app quality. I know that many people don't like how forceful apple is, but it would help with making more quality apps on android. Also I think skins should be an option and that manufacturers should have more guidelines they have to follow. Windows phone may not be super popular because of its design or lack of apps, but its smooth and reliable and the experience is similar to the iPhone in many ways so having multiple manufacturers is not the issue. Now I wouldn't say all windows phone apps are high quality either, but at least I can trust that they won't mess my phone up. I think the nexus line and the new moto line are the best android options and pretty good remodels on how the phones should be, but definitely have room for improvements as well. Just like the iPhone can learn from android with things like google now and default apps. I really do wish the best for android as its got potential.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:38 AM
    Definitely agree there.
    Note: I by no way believe what the OP says and do not agree with him.
    I second this
    anon5664829 likes this.
    09-03-2013 02:39 AM
    So you're paying more for less work.
    The way I see it, I'm paying for a phone that actually DOES work.
    Fausty82 and verwon like this.
    09-03-2013 08:03 AM
    Well I read some replies and watched a review about it. I don't think its just bought for flash anymore, it's obviously solid. But I think buying a HTC One, and then upgrading to google edition when they stop support for sense 5 is better for me. I think the screen is too small and the HTC has boomsound speakers, considering that's even cheaper than the iphone I'm obviously going to go for that. And the OS is customisable which I am definitely up for.

No longer thinking the phone is for idiots, but I do think it is behind what flagship phones offer these days.
    Just_Me_D and pr1nce like this.
    09-03-2013 03:33 PM
    Well I read some replies and watched a review about it. I don't think its just bought for flash anymore, it's obviously solid. But I think buying a HTC One, and then upgrading to google edition when they stop support for sense 5 is better for me. I think the screen is too small and the HTC has boomsound speakers, considering that's even cheaper than the iphone I'm obviously going to go for that. And the OS is customisable which I am definitely up for.

No longer thinking the phone is for idiots, but I do think it is behind what flagship phones offer these days.
    Again I disagree. I don't think it is behind other devices at all. Actually, I think that the iPhone 5 is ahead of the game in multiple areas. Optimization of the operating system to the hardware, quality of apps, accessories, compatibility and functionality with other Apple products, build quality, camera/video quality, iTunes, and customer service. These are the things that buying an iPhone affords you.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-03-2013 03:39 PM

Excellent reply, sir, and there are a lot of people who feel exactly the same way, and that's okay. I've stated on numerous occasions that the iPhone is not for everyone, however, neither is any other device. For someone who've tried every mobile platform except Ubuntu, and who usually research and physically tests before buying, it is easy for me to say that the iPhone is perfect for "me" because it is. Know what I mean? Anyway, thank you for your response and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day. ...
    Richard Nieves likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:44 PM
    Status symbol?

Ha. When I see someone with an iPhone, I find it disappointing and dull !! It's like they didn't spend any time to think it through and just bought what the next guy has. no brainer decision type thing

I'm a blackberry and Android guy....but that might change.

Last night, I was fiddling with my girlfriend's iPhone 5. Man, I gotta tell you. The thing operated with total stability. Hard to describe, but every app I opened seemed to function with purpose and confidence.... like it was meant to be there. There was a uniformity in the way they functioned, too.

There are a zillion androids, android apps, and (unfortunately) versions of the OS floating around.

My guess is that an apple app developer can focus on the app and not 101 kinds of compatibility issues.

I don't generally seek super fringe apps. I want to take good quality photos, take notes, and I enjoy the physical feel of a high quality device. Also, I like the idea that my go-to apps will always be there and will be a top priority for app developers as the ensure that it is rock solid for the phone.

I'm starting to appreciate that darn iPhone. I would never think of it as a status symbol, though.... no more than, say, a Toyota Camry.
    Alli likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. The great thing is we all have choices in which phone we use. My personal preference might not be yours and that's fine. It doesn't mean that one device is better or worse than another. Once again, thanks for your well thought out response. Have a great day!
    09-03-2013 05:15 PM

This is a good solid reply and completely understandable. The iPhone has matured and its audience changed. Many people actually leave other systems to come try it out these days, but in a war against android, its pretty neck and neck. Not in specs or maybe the amount of extra features, but in its overall value and quality to its audiences. Android takes a bit more work to enjoy in my opinion, but the payoff is customization where as ios lacks customization, but pays off in reliability.

Also if your going for android and want the best of both worlds, the new moto x is said to be an excellent choice. While it may not have the same physical specs as a htc one, it has been reviewed and found that it performs just as good as the big boys, has better batter battery life than many other phones and is a true google experience, something I think is important for android! Because its made closely under googles supervision it should benefit from many of the things the iPhone does (hardware/software optimization) although its not been out long enough to know for sure. Either way, enjoy your new phone whatever it may be.
    verwon and wanted198 like this.
    09-04-2013 01:30 AM
    It's not about status or any such nonsense. It's about being an adult, earning your own money and choosing which phone is best for you.

No one else should have to help you or convince you of anything.

As a heart patient, I was just leaving my cardio's office one day, on my way to have blood work done to try and figure out why I was having chest pain and feeling so sick……when, suddenly the HTC Evo 4G that I had, which was new and top of the line at the time, crashed in my bands and went into a boot loop.

That was enough for me to learn what's important….a good, reliable phone! I bought an iPhone as soon as Sprint got it and never looked back.
    joemd60, Eileen89 and applejosh like this.
    09-07-2013 07:31 PM
    I hope you're feeling better soon verwon. I just put the cart before the horse, and created my Apple ID.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
    Eileen89 and verwon like this.
    09-07-2013 07:59 PM
    I'm going back to iPhone because I value reliability, battery life, and software update support in my phone. The thing is, I'm not switching because I thought android was terrible, it just wasn't right for my needs in a smartphone. I think google and android should be applauded, actually. They've done some great things and made huge strides in just a few short years.

But the thing that worried me a lot about android is that if your getting a phone that's not a nexus or google play edition, your at risk of not receiving updates because phone carriers are jerks. Or your phone OEM dosent care. I didn't want to make a several hundred dollar gamble like that. Play services is awesome though and should help a lot, but still.

Also to me, ios just seems more stable, the camera is pretty great, it's battery life is really good, and I think it's user experience is more enjoyable. But I also don't root and don't want to, so I'm not going to be hacking my phone. Some like to, and that's great, but it's not for me. I want the phone to work awesome out of the box.
    09-07-2013 09:21 PM
    I hope you're feeling better soon verwon. I just put the cart before the horse, and created my Apple ID.

I have been doing wonderfully, thank you!

And there is no harm in that, you'll have an ID set up and ready to go for whenever you need it.

I had one years before I ever bought an Apple product. I just had to log-in and update it, when I bought my first one. :-)
    joemd60 likes this.
    09-08-2013 12:04 PM
    Still using the i4S. It's that good. I believe in iOS. So good is iOS, a hardware update is an unnecessary thing every 2-3 years. My next one will probably be the i5S.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-2013 07:04 PM
    Still using the i4S. It's that good. I believe in iOS. So good is iOS, a hardware update is an unnecessary thing every 2-3 years. My next one will probably be the i5S.

Posted via CB10
    I can agree with that. When I look at my 4S, it isn't much slower than my 5. Although no LTE is a big difference, the rear is just a marginal upgrade.
    09-08-2013 10:55 PM
    Still using my 3GS - iOS has been evolving throughout its long life. It is 85% different since the day I got it. I'm surprised what my old 600Mhz/256MB phone can do after all the new features added. Each iOS upgrade was like "my old phone can do this too? I'm getting the i5S this time. The camera on my 3GS has a little moisture in it (from last time it got dipped in water) it takes blurry pictures, lol. I'm excited to finally get to use the backup feature on iCloud.
    09-09-2013 04:29 AM
    I have been doing wonderfully, thank you!

And there is no harm in that, you'll have an ID set up and ready to go for whenever you need it.

I had one years before I ever bought an Apple product. I just had to log-in and update it, when I bought my first one. :-)
    Glad to hear hear that you're feeling better, Verwon. I also had an Apple ID set up before I bought my 3GS which worked out just fine.
    joemd60 and verwon like this.
    09-09-2013 05:01 AM
    Glad to hear hear that you're feeling better, Verwon. I also had an Apple ID set up before I bought my 3GS which worked out just fine.
    Thank you! And I don't think anyone can go wrong with an Apple ID, it's not like you have to use it, just because you have created it, but it will be there and be available, for a time you may need it. :-)
    09-09-2013 02:34 PM
    When I created my ID. I opened iTunes and it synced all my music from my PC.
    I still use Amazon MP3, and besides an external hard drive.
    I have my photos backed up on Amazon Cloud Drive.
    Both work without a hitch on Android.
    But I am not sure about IOS.
    Maybe someone here can give me their input if they do. Thanks

09-09-2013 03:00 PM
210 ... 6789