Several years ago I toured a fruit and vegetable processing plant in Central America. Fascinating and educational. At the tour end, we saw a wall with labels for the various brands that the factory supplied. Same fruits and veggies came into the factory, and went out under different labels.

Perhaps the same could be said for how smartphones are manufactured and ten branded and marketed?
    Even if all smartphones were manufactured in the same plant, each is built to the designer's specs... specs for an Apple product are completely different from any of a number of Android phones or BlackBerry or Windows phones...
    08-19-2013 10:34 PM
    Man why do I always come in on the tail ends of these threads?! 😫

Are all of these people in collusion with each other? They're like "ok wanted198 it's you're turn today to go to iMore and create a pointless thread asking why you should be convinced the iPhone is awesome. Make sure you get angry at their rational responses then don't reply anymore."

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    Fausty82, CDG, pr1nce and 2 others like this.
    08-19-2013 10:39 PM
    Man why do I always come in on the tail ends of these threads?! 

Are all of these people in collusion with each other? They're like "ok wanted198 it's you're turn today to go to iMore and create a pointless thread asking why you should be convinced the iPhone is awesome. Make sure you get angry at their rational responses then don't reply anymore."

Better late than never...
    swarlos likes this.
    08-19-2013 10:41 PM
    Man I love feeding trolls, the same way I love beating a dead horse! Fun Fun Fun!!!

Seriously though, I can see how the iPhone can be seen as a status symbol. It's a high end smartphone. iPhones definitely have a premium look and feel, (as do all Apple products). And as the OP stated, iOS is full of quality apps. iPhones are very popular & desirable, so yeah, I can see how it can be seen as a status symbol.

But to say its not worth the money and that you're only paying for the brand well, for me Apple is a brand that provides great value for my money. More value than the competition that Im willing to pay a premium for it, if I have to.

My top 3 reasons for owning an iPhone, and why I think its worth the money are:
    1) You stated it earlier; iOS is full of quality apps.
    2) Warranty & customer service: If anything happens to my iPhone while its in warranty (either standard 1yr, or 2 yr with Apple Care+) I set an appointment at the Genius Bar, walk into an Apple Store and they either fix it or replace it. 15 20 minutes after walking into the store my problem is solved, Im good to go.
    3) Software updates- The iPhone 4, which came out over three years ago, will be running iOS 7 once its released. There are no other smartphones that get software updates as long as iPhones do.

So, for me its definitely worth it, and its more than just a status symbol (though I must admit, I do enjoy showing off my iPhone 5 with its magnificent 4 inch retina display, and gorgeous aluminum & glass back )

To the OP, what kind of value would Apple have to provide to you for it to be worth the money???
    swarlos and Fausty82 like this.
    08-19-2013 10:52 PM
    Even if all smartphones were manufactured in the same plant, each is built to the designer's specs... specs for an Apple product are completely different from any of a number of Android phones or BlackBerry or Windows phones...
    Yes, I understand. An A6 does not equal a Snapdragon S4, etc, etc, etc.....My attempt at dry humor didn't work too well.
    08-19-2013 11:16 PM
    To answer the OP.

Yes, the iPhone is just a status symbol. That's why we're here posting all the time about the different apps, settings, etc. -- because we just feel better about ourselves for having an apple-shaped symbol on the backs of our phones.
    Alli likes this.
    08-20-2013 02:03 AM
    I think folks can treat it like it's a status, but it doesn't mean that it should affect your purchase decision. You buy what you want. I have a phone that's under 100.00 (before tax), brand new. It works for me and it is a great phone, minus a couple of things due to the OEM cutting out hardware to make it the price that it is. Be happy with YOUR decision, not what you think folks will like
    08-20-2013 02:37 AM
    I'm going back to crackberry
    anon5664829, Alli and motor96 like this.
    08-20-2013 04:32 AM
    guys and girls don't you think that we're giving too much importance to a post by a fandroid?
    08-20-2013 07:40 AM
    For me my iPhone isn't a status object. It's my tool to get life done. People use different phones in different ways. For some am alarm clock on a flip phone is all some people need while others need something as useful as a tablet type of phone. It's all personal preference. Welcome to the forums. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Oofa likes this.
    08-20-2013 07:50 AM
    Status of, good quality
    08-20-2013 08:17 AM
    That is a nice community as well. Enjoy whichever device you are using and don't worry about it be a status symbol. You are welcome back here at iMore anytime. Take care.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-20-2013 08:20 AM
    guys and girls don't you think that we're giving too much importance to a post by a fandroid?
    I believe the OP uses a Blackberry phone. Not that it should matter, though. We don't need to resort to name calling here. Thanks.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    08-20-2013 08:24 AM
    Crackberry is a nice forum too. You're welcome at iMore anytime. Have a great day!
    Eileen89 likes this.
    08-20-2013 08:46 AM
    Is iPhone just a status symbol?-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21377016548.186371.jpg

anon5664829 likes this.
    08-20-2013 12:35 PM
    I am going back also..........

Well I am on every forum.. I like to float around
    08-20-2013 01:59 PM
    I didn't buy the iPhone because it's an Apple product, I buy the iPhone because it offers the features I need and like, the form and function I prefer in a smart phone and the working environment that i find optimal for my day to day smart phone needs and desires.
    Well said. When I moved from a BlackBerry to iPhone I didn't do it because of loyalty to Apple, the number of apps in the App Store, or some perceived status I would get from owning an iPhone. I made a list of the what I was looking for in a phone and I choose the one that best fit what I needed.
    08-20-2013 02:15 PM
    I am heading over the iPhone side next upgrade.
    I had the first Gen and wasn't crazy about it.
    But times have changed, and so has the iPhone.
    I keep hearing how it just "works", and that's what I need from my smartphone.
    IMHO, I have had an Android device for almost two years.
    And I look at the Android OS as a vintage MG convertible.
    If you don't mind the constant tweaking under the hood, than that is the way to go.
    CDG, Eileen89, Fausty82 and 1 others like this.
    08-20-2013 02:18 PM
    Well said. When I moved from a BlackBerry to iPhone I didn't do it because of loyalty to Apple, the number of apps in the App Store, or some perceived status I would get from owning an iPhone. I made a list of the what I was looking for in a phone and I choose the one that best fit what I needed.
    Same here, although owning an iPad and a MBP gave me a feeling of trust in the software/hardware quality of Apple products.
    I keep hearing how it just "works", and that's what I need from my smartphone.

IMHO, I have had an Android device for almost two years.
    And I look at the Android OS as a vintage MG convertible.
    If you don't mind the constant tweaking under the hood, than that is the way to go.
    Hmm, i wonder who has been telling you that "it just works"

Love the MG comparison

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk
    joemd60, Eileen89 and Fausty82 like this.
    08-20-2013 03:24 PM
    he joined today only and the first comment is about bashing iphone. fandroids!
    Hahahahaha. I agree iPhone is just a great phone. You can see on the performance itself.
    08-20-2013 04:01 PM
    I've never considered a cell phone, that anyone can acquire, without needing to be wealthy or well educated or sophisticated as a status symbol. If it works for you and others think of it as a status symbol then that's what it is for whomever views it that way. It sounds like the op sees it as something people with high status only have.
    08-20-2013 04:10 PM
    I've never considered a cell phone, that anyone can acquire, without needing to be wealthy or well educated or sophisticated as a status symbol. If it works for you and others think of it as a status symbol then that's what it is for whomever views it that way. It sounds like the op sees it as something people with high status only have.
    well said. probably among college or even school students it might act as a status symbol.
    if i use the phone which many celebs use then how can it be a status symbol as those guys earn way more than i do and travel in cars way expensive than what i have.
    08-20-2013 04:33 PM
    Same here, although owning an iPad and a MBP gave me a feeling of trust in the software/hardware quality of Apple products. Hmm, i wonder who has been telling you that "it just works"

Love the MG comparison

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk
    Can I guess Charlyee?
    CDG likes this.
    08-20-2013 05:53 PM
    Nah. It just allows us another opportunity to remind each other how wonderful our iPhones are.
    08-20-2013 06:08 PM
    I am being honest here, is iPhone just a status phone rather than something actually worth the money? I agree the app market is full of quality apps unlike android where people can put complete crap up, but I really don't think iPhone is worth the money and it's just paying for a brand. Anyone able to change my mind?
    I just picked up a iPhone 5 after having all other platforms and I have to say its the most stable platform I have ever used ! I am extremely impressed with the phone and it looks like its going to be a keeper. Aside from the awesome App selection the OS is very stable compared to other platforms which makes the transition that much easier.
    pr1nce, dobermansrule, CDG and 1 others like this.
    08-20-2013 10:39 PM
210 12345 ...