Is iPhone just a status symbol?

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is iPhone just a status?

Price is not the only factor in making something a status symbol.
You can get a Honda Odyssey minivan for about the same price as a BMW 3
Series car- you tell me which one is more of a status symbol

i guess i said the same thing in context of a smartphone..
per the iphone as status symbol - iphone is labeled as a status symbol in the developing nations i.e BRICS. because only the high earning people can afford an iphone there, as it costs around $750-800 for the 16 gb.
and for your argument regarding the status symbol- it is defined by the society. if u live in a porsche area where all the people have bmws then a Lamborghini maybe a status symbol.
so at the end of the day status symbol is defined by the society you are in . if people near you can afford an iphone then iphone is necessity otherwise iphone is a status symbol.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Agreed, it is all about how others perceive you and the value of material things (for the most part)
I also agree with the point that as you get older, status is not as important. You tend to focus more on things like, family, friends and life experiences-ironically, things money can't buy. It would be nice though to have the material things and immaterial things, then life gets real fun !

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Notice how the person who started this thread has not come back to offer any additional comment?

Let's quit feeding this troll...

imandroid

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

The iPhone is not a status it is a choice just like anything else for me the music and the iPhone go hand in hand. I would rather carry a iPhone then multiple devices. I speak all mobile language so just cant say one is better then the other.

Honestly i love all mobile device.

Android, Win Mo, Blackberry, iOS.

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

This doesn't apply to everyone here, but a lot of rude comments I wouldn't get on crackberry or android central. I guess it just sums up a good chunk of the userbase of the iphone, and the fact adults are behind them is even worse.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

eb6.jpg

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Nope.

It provides simple functions and stability is number one in most users. The iPhone provides that.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

This doesn't apply to everyone here, but a lot of rude comments I wouldn't get on crackberry or android central. I guess it just sums up a good chunk of the userbase of the iphone, and the fact adults are behind them is even worse.

I'm on both of these forums that you mentioned and they are the same as here. I didn't find anything rude about the comments that you received here. Hmmm, perhaps that is what you were looking for and feeling a little disappointed that you didn't get what you were looking for in starting a thread like this... Have a nice day. :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm on both of these forums that you mentioned and they are the same as here. I didn't find anything rude about the comments that you received here. Hmmm, perhaps that is what you were looking for and feeling a little disappointed that you didn't get what you were looking for in starting a thread like this... Have a nice day. :)

Agree with me damn it!!!!! :p

wanted198

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

I came here to see what is what, I am more in favour towards blackberry and android obviously but some of these replies are getting pathetic. I have my answer, even for children you are acting immature, let alone grown men.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I came here to see what is what, I am more in favour towards blackberry and android obviously but some of these replies are getting pathetic. I have my answer, even for children you are acting immature, let alone grown men.
So I guess this this means you'll be headed back to Crackberry where you came from? You are welcome to post here anytime, however, I would urge you next time you visit to use the "Search" feature. If you had done so before posting this "lets be honest" thread, you would have found at least 4 or 5 recent threads with the same question and you could have easily avoided the responses that you obviously didn't like here. Again, enjoy the rest of your day and thank you for visiting our nice community here at iMore. :)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

To get things back to the OP here...

I think the iPhone 'can' be a status symbol, it all depends on each individual owner, and how they view it.

However, I think the vast majority of iPhone and smartphone owners use their device of choice because it works best for them. They enjoy the experience... it works well for their lives.

There are so many quality devices on the market today, and users are more savvy than ever. It's not about status, it's about getting stuff done.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It's tough to have a legitimate conversation with someone who comes to the forum and essentially goes "The iPhone is for materialistic pricks...prove me wrong."

You also added absolutely nothing to the conversation, no explanation of your opinion, no continuance or retort to the replies you got (not that you were fooling anyone into thinking you were actually trying to participate over simply stirring the pot to get the exact responses you're complaining about). You performed the typical troll drive by post...you never had any intention to participate, you just wanted to stir up dust.

I do agree with one of your statements though, where you said "these replies are getting pathetic", and I agree, your replies have progressed from asinine to pathetic and pitiful.

JustlMe

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

I think the iPhone 'can' be a status symbol, it all depends on each individual owner, and how they view it.

However, I think the vast majority of iPhone and smartphone owners use their device of choice because it works best for them. They enjoy the experience... it works well for their lives.

There are so many quality devices on the market today, and users are more savvy than ever. It's not about status, it's about getting stuff done.

There's your answer, and 100% agree with it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

This is a wonderful and well thought out reply, James. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR