I plopped my iPhone 5 on the couch next to me and heard a very slight rattle. When I held the phone up to my ear and tapped in the back near the camera, I could pick up a faint rattling sound. As a sanity check, I did the same with a coworker's 5 and heard the same thing. Is this normal?
    08-13-2013 04:57 PM
    No, it is not. Have traced back your activities with the iPhone? Is there any visible damage to the exterior? This is my Quality background coming through.
    08-13-2013 05:01 PM
    No, it is not. Have traced back your activities with the iPhone? Is there any visible damage to the exterior? This is my Quality background coming through.
    lol...what?

Yes, actually, this IS normal (the most common source is said to be the camera itself) but it could be due to a few things. The camera, power button, loose fitting volume rocker or mute button, etc etc etc, none of which effect the performance of the phone.

If you look through threads going back to the original iPhone's, little rattles are normal. To be honest, you could probably go back and look at the history of ANY modern smart phone and find the same thing.
    mikeo007, mac2013 and dannejanne like this.
    08-13-2013 05:10 PM
    The phone has been in a case since day one and has not been dropped.
    08-13-2013 05:50 PM
    Mine does the exact same thing. Se with my manager and friends. It is supposedly the autofocus on these making the rattling sound. It's very annoying as well as the loud clicking sound coming from the home button.
    08-13-2013 07:18 PM
    Mine has had a rattle since I got it in November. Hasn't gotten any worse over time and I've experienced no performance issues whatsoever. As Sean said, it's totally normal!!

Edit: The 5 on my second line has a rattle as well. No performance issues with that phone either.
    Last edited by 03_CTD; 08-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    08-13-2013 08:26 PM
    lol...what?

Yes, actually, this IS normal (the most common source is said to be the camera itself) but it could be due to a few things. The camera, power button, loose fitting volume rocker or mute button, etc etc etc, none of which effect the performance of the phone.

If you look through threads going back to the original iPhone's, little rattles are normal. To be honest, you could probably go back and look at the history of ANY modern smart phone and find the same thing.
    ^ This ^

It seems to be commonly attributed to the auto-focus of the camera. My iphone 4 and my wife's iphone 4s as well as my BB Z10 all have the rattle. In fact the only phone I have that does not have a rattle is my BB 9930 but it is a point and shoot camera without auto-focus.
    08-14-2013 01:03 AM
    I appreciate all the responses. Being new to the iPhone, I just want to make sure I'm not overreacting.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    08-14-2013 01:50 AM
    I always thought it was the accelerometer...could be wrong, but mine does it anyway as do all the ones we sell.
    08-14-2013 04:22 AM
    If it doesn't rattle, then you've got a problem.
    08-15-2013 10:28 AM
    I plopped my iPhone 5 on the couch next to me and heard a very slight rattle. When I held the phone up to my ear and tapped in the back near the camera, I could pick up a faint rattling sound. As a sanity check, I did the same with a coworker's 5 and heard the same thing. Is this normal?
    Some iPhones rattle, some don't. This has been going on since at least the iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 had a rattle, my bro's iPhone 4 did not. Both went strong for 2 years. My iPhone 5 rattles.
    08-15-2013 02:48 PM
    Some iPhones rattle, some don't. This has been going on since at least the iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 had a rattle, my bro's iPhone 4 did not. Both went strong for 2 years. My iPhone 5 rattles.
    That's disappointing to hear. I expect Apple would have better QC than this.
    08-15-2013 02:50 PM
    I've had my 4S since last fall. Mine doesn't rattle unless I tap it kinda hard on my knee or something.
    08-15-2013 10:11 PM
    Finally a thread that cleared my doubt...
    08-16-2013 12:29 AM
    That's disappointing to hear. I expect Apple would have better QC than this.
    Its a moving part, and like i said before, if you check most smart phones with elaborate camera systems (or other moving internal pieces), you'll find the same thing. It's not just Apple, my brother's Galaxy S4 does the same thing. And to be honest, it's something you'd only hear when you put your ear up to it...who does that? Has your phone experienced performance issues because of it? We'll talk QC issues when the iPhone presents a legitimate issue that isn't a microscopic noise that people nit pick about.
    08-16-2013 03:20 PM
    I think Apple is still top notch when it comes to quality control.
    08-16-2013 04:50 PM
    I think Apple is still top notch when it comes to quality control.
    This.

In all the apple products I've owned (not to mention at work all I've sold and activated ) I've only ever seen 3 with poor QC - one 4 bricked out of box (totally, completely unresponsive and dead, never seen anything like it), a 4S with a blown line on the display out of box (thank god I got the sim pulled so I could DOA it), and my personal 5 (first one I pulled had a misaligned screen display, you could rock the phone like a rocking chair, it was popped out that far on one corner ).

Worst QC I've ever experienced? BlackBerry. Bar none.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    08-17-2013 01:57 AM
    The little rattle sound has nothing to do with bad quality control. It's some autofocus part of the camera and basically every phone I've had has had this sound. Be it Android, WP or iPhone. Nothing to worry about. I usually hear it when I put down my phone with a bit of "force".
    08-17-2013 03:15 AM
    I have the same issue and took the phone into Apple in Bath and was told that the gyroscope was to blame.. It almost sounds like a small ball bearing..
    08-17-2013 12:32 PM
    It's the camera. Totally normal to hear this. My iPhone 4&5, my Nexus 4, my Galaxy S4 all make this sound.
    08-23-2013 03:40 PM
    I was at the local Apple store to have them replace my iPad, which had a defective home button. I asked the Genius Bar rep about the rattle, and he said they know this is an issue. Interestingly, he said that this is "hit or miss". In fact, he said they had phones that have the rattle and those that don't. Either way, Apple doesn't replace a phone for this, so it's really a moot point.
    08-23-2013 11:06 PM
    A little rattle near the camera is normal. Its a common occurrence in iPhone and other phone (My HTC One does this as well). If you are getting a rattle near the middle of the phone or lower then something may be wrong or loose.
    08-24-2013 10:26 AM
    The lock button is always a bit loose and rattles in all iPhone 5s I've held. That's probably it.
    08-28-2013 12:27 AM
    take it back they will give u a new one! thats what happened to my first one and they didnt ask any questions!
    08-28-2013 02:49 PM
    The lock button is always a bit loose and rattles in all iPhone 5s I've held. That's probably it.
    Then you need to hold a few more iPhone 5's ... That's crazy talk.
    08-29-2013 12:11 AM
27 12