Iphone Dropped in Water

stihlhusky

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
My wife dropped her iphone in water yesterday and it was only submerged for about 7 seconds. We had it in an otterbox commuter and took it out and dried it off as soon as we could. The phone still worked so we thought it was ok. I went ahead and put it in a zippered bag with a piece of bread because we didn't have any rice but we went to the store this morning and put it in around 7am. The drop happened around 530 yesterday. When we tried to plug it in last night to charge it around 10pm it wouldn't charge and it also wouldn't play any sounds. I am going to leave it in the bag of rice for a couple days but I was just wondering if anyone else has waited that long to put it in rice and if it might still dry the phone out. Thanks for any help you can give.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can try leaving it in the bag of rice for 72 hours. However, because it was used afterward I have a feeling it is no longer going to work as it should. In which case your best bet would be to call or take it into a Apple store for replacement. If you had Apple Care Plus, you'll pay $50 for a replacement, if not you are looking at about $229. for a warranty replacement for the iPhone 5.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My wife dropped her iphone in water yesterday and it was only submerged for about 7 seconds. We had it in an otterbox commuter and took it out and dried it off as soon as we could. The phone still worked so we thought it was ok. I went ahead and put it in a zippered bag with a piece of bread because we didn't have any rice but we went to the store this morning and put it in around 7am. The drop happened around 530 yesterday. When we tried to plug it in last night to charge it around 10pm it wouldn't charge and it also wouldn't play any sounds. I am going to leave it in the bag of rice for a couple days but I was just wondering if anyone else has waited that long to put it in rice and if it might still dry the phone out. Thanks for any help you can give.

That's terrible.. I can't answer the question about time.. Maybe this will help.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting read. Although, I have seen many iPhones run well again after sustaining water damage that were not turned back on again and placed in a bag of rice immediately afterwards. I guess it all depends on the circumstances as the article points out.

I agree. I've never dropped my iPhones in any water, but my daughter did and I told her to put it in a bag of rice for about 24 hours and when she took it out, it worked. She had an iPhone 4 at the time.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Were it me, I'd do the rice trick with one little tweak: I'd put a paper coffee filter around the phone before covering with the rice... the filter will keep the rice from getting into places it ought not get while allowing water to pass through the filter paper... the other option is desiccant - any hobby shop that has flower drying supplies will have desiccants - I'd get ones that are in self-contained packages...

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Lifeproof Nuud.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Interesting read. Although, I have seen many iPhones run well again after sustaining water damage that were not turned back on again and placed in a bag of rice immediately afterwards. I guess it all depends on the circumstances as the article points out.

I have used the rice method a few times in the past and it has worked just fine.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No offense to the OP, but i found this part kind of funny...

I went ahead and put it in a zippered bag with a piece of bread...

...I just kept replacing "bread" with random food...

I went ahead and put it in a can of sweet cream corn...
I went ahead and put it in a soft shelled taco supreme...
I went ahead and put it in a small batch of calamari with a side of garlic butter sauce...

...I'm easily entertained today, lol.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No offense to the OP, but i found this part kind of funny...

...I just kept replacing "bread" with random food...

...I'm easily entertained today, lol.
The OP stated that they didn't have rice available until they went to the store the next day. I guess I can sort of see how the OP would think that the bread would soak up the water since rice wasn't available at the time.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have not dropped any of my iphones in water before but my brother has and he quickly did the rice remedy and kept it in the bag for approximately 24 hours. Phone came out and worked great.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I did get water damage on my iPhone 5. I do have AC+ so I went in to Apple same day to pay my $50 and get my phone replaced. I told the Genius exactly what happened. He said he was going to take my phone to the back and open it up so see if it shows water damage. The sensor stickers were not set off so the Genius just swapped out my phone and did not charge me a physical damage claim. I still have 2 claims left to use. Go in to Apple and be honest with them. Maybe if your sensors have not been set off, they will just do a regular warranty exchange.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
And that's assuming the Nuud is sealed correctly and had been tested. I've read stories of that case failing.

I never felt good about that case! Granted, I have never tried it, but I know I could never trust it and am not surprised that there are reports of it failing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR