I love my iPhone5 but not knowing when I have a new email drives me nuts. I use icloud for mail, gmail, and Hotmail. I need to have a loud notification every time that I get a new email in. My BB does this so nicely how do I make my iPhone do this? I have to carry by BB around to know when I have gotten a email in.
    Thanks
    Csi Guy
    08-06-2013 05:05 PM
    I am assuming you have the volume turned up so all I can recommend at this time is for you to change the alert notification for your email to one that may get your attention a little better.
    08-06-2013 05:17 PM
    First, ensure that the "volume" is loud enough for you by going to Settings - Sounds - (turn Vibrate & Ring ON) slide the "Ring and Alert" to the loudness that you desire..... Next, in the same place and the bottom "Sounds and Vibration Patterns", select Ringtones (choose your desired ring). Do the same for Text tone, New Mail, ect....
    08-06-2013 05:18 PM
    Volume is all the way up and I get no notification, ding, hit on the head nothing. The notifications work perfectly for events, text etc. I only hear a ding when I actually open the mail app and then it will ding. I need the phone to ding as each email comes in. I have missed many emails by not getting a loud ding when they come in. If I don't check my email every 15 minutes, I miss something.
    08-06-2013 05:28 PM
    Check to make sure your sync settings are set correctly. They may be set so that the only time new emails get pushed is when you open your inbox
    08-06-2013 05:38 PM
    It sounds like your mail is on fetch. Make sure it's not set to manual fetch.

Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendar-Fetch New Data and you'll see the time
    options there.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    08-06-2013 06:05 PM
    Found out the problem, GMail only does fetch on the iPhone. So I never get a notification. Oh well I guess that I will be wearing out the app. button to fetch my GMail.
    08-06-2013 06:51 PM
    I am assuming you have the volume turned up so all I can recommend at this time is for you to change the alert notification for your email to one that may get your attention a little better.
    First, ensure that the "volume" is loud enough for you by going to Settings - Sounds - (turn Vibrate & Ring ON) slide the "Ring and Alert" to the loudness that you desire..... Next, in the same place and the bottom "Sounds and Vibration Patterns", select Ringtones (choose your desired ring). Do the same for Text tone, New Mail, ect....
    Yes simply just choose the loudest and best notification in your opinion that will get your attention.
    08-06-2013 08:07 PM
    Found out the problem, GMail only does fetch on the iPhone. So I never get a notification. Oh well I guess that I will be wearing out the app. button to fetch my GMail.
    If you use the Gmail app, it will do push. It's only when you use the native iOS mail app that Gmail doesn't do push.
    CSI Guy likes this.
    08-06-2013 08:31 PM
    Even with fetch, you should still get email notifications. I have Gmail as a secondary account set up on my iPhone and I get a sound notification when new mail is fetched.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    08-06-2013 08:42 PM
    Either it will fetch or grab mail when mail app is open.
    08-07-2013 11:44 AM
    Massie, you were right. I have downloaded the GMail app and all is well now. Whew, I needed that.
    08-09-2013 12:45 AM
    Massie, you were right. I have downloaded the GMail app and all is well now. Whew, I needed that.
    Glad I could help!

Side note: I actually think the Gmail alert tone is much nicer than the default iOS tones. If anyone here is a jailbreaker and would like to use the Gmail tone for other notification alerts, I made a WinterBoard theme to do just that. Look for GmailSMS in Cydia if you're interested.

CSI Guy, enjoy that push!
    08-09-2013 01:22 AM
    Thanks again Massie, that made my day.
    08-09-2013 02:29 AM
    If you use labels, you need to set the notification for each label as well ...
    08-24-2013 09:10 PM
    Now that you analyzed the "fetch'[ing] issue, would you know how to set twitter and FB sounds when I receive new tweets/posts on an iPhone5? The volume is up, Settings>Sounds>Vibrate on Ring (on), Vibrate on Silent (on), Ringer and Alerts on and Highest, plus Sounds and Vibration Patterns set to loud choices: Tweet>Piano Riff and Facebook Post>Update. Now, I am reading those might be outgoing. I downloaded the Twitter App and have one account for work announcements but it does not sound when new tweets appear. Thanks in advance.
    03-21-2014 04:35 PM