I have noticed that I sometimes don't get my new text notification sound. I get it most times, but not all. I have restored in iTunes but Istill have this problem.

A couple of ???

1. seems to happen more often if messages is open the active text, is this related?
    2. My ex has a iphone 4, why are her texts not coming from iMessage?

Thanks
    08-05-2013 08:24 AM
    If your text is open in the text field, you're not going to get your text message tone, you're simply going to get a little "blip" sound whenever a new message comes in.

If you're not getting text tones when the phone is in standby mode, then you're having another issue, one which could be any number of software issues, and may require a replacement.

Your question about your ex and her texts not coming from iMessage could also be a few things...if she's in a poor reception area or her network is not optimal, it will use SMS instead of iMessage, this can also happen if the iMessage network is being updated or is down for whatever reason. There are several other scenarios that can cause the same thing, but those are the most common. If she has a problem with iMessage not working constantly, have her reset her network settings.
    08-05-2013 09:00 AM
    Thanks for the answers. I have to do some testing with messaging open and closed. Ill get back here after that.
    08-05-2013 09:16 AM
    I am having the same problem. I just get the vibration but no sound most of the time for texts, but all other alerts have sound. I have tried changing the alert tone but nothing works. It's not every time, but most of the time.
    08-05-2013 06:42 PM
    I know I'm new, but I think I figured it out. There is a little switch on the left side of the phone..... Turn it so the orange does not show.

Sorry I couldn't resist.
    08-06-2013 09:27 PM
    You can also adjust to vibrate when on silent and vise versa.
    08-07-2013 11:43 AM
    I have noticed that I sometimes don't get my new text notification sound. I get it most times, but not all. I have restored in iTunes but Istill have this problem.

A couple of ???

1. seems to happen more often if messages is open the active text, is this related?
    2. My ex has a iphone 4, why are her texts not coming from iMessage?

Thanks
    If your text is open in the text field, you're not going to get your text message tone, you're simply going to get a little "blip" sound whenever a new message comes in.

If you're not getting text tones when the phone is in standby mode, then you're having another issue, one which could be any number of software issues, and may require a replacement.

Your question about your ex and her texts not coming from iMessage could also be a few things...if she's in a poor reception area or her network is not optimal, it will use SMS instead of iMessage, this can also happen if the iMessage network is being updated or is down for whatever reason. There are several other scenarios that can cause the same thing, but those are the most common. If she has a problem with iMessage not working constantly, have her reset her network settings.
    I am having the same problem. I just get the vibration but no sound most of the time for texts, but all other alerts have sound. I have tried changing the alert tone but nothing works. It's not every time, but most of the time.
    Thanks for the answers. I have to do some testing with messaging open and closed. Ill get back here after that.
    I would have to go along with what Sean is saying if indeed you are accurate in what you are discribing as sound or not. It cannot be sometimes or not.

I mean in other words if you have a text./iMessage open and sending messages and you receive one you are only going to get a slight short swoosh type sound fairly silent and nothing else. You will never get a notification sound. Now if you close it to where you have the list of text recipients and receive a test from the person you were texting with, then you will get a notification sound with a blue do next to it. Once you open it and leave it open after you answered, Again you are not going to a get anything but a slight swoosh.

I works that way way and there is nothing wrong unless as Sean also said, Then it could be something else.
    08-09-2013 04:12 PM
    This happened a lot when I was on iOS 7 beta. No sound or vibration. But when I would
    unlock the phone, there's the badge on the messages app. Same if I would be out of the
    app and in another app on the phone. Back to the home screen and there is the badge.
    Never have gotten a banner notification or tone/vibration.

And what do ya know? Happens now from time to time on iOS 6. Even did a restore as
    new the other day (not having restored a backup), and still happens here and there. Just
    something in the OS, I guess.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    08-09-2013 05:44 PM
    Hey maybe someone could help me with my notifications?? Every time someone comments on my status on facebook i dont get a notfication sound but i get notifications when someone inboxes me how do i fix this its really fustrating me thanks guys
    08-09-2013 06:30 PM
    Hey maybe someone could help me with my notifications?? Every time someone comments on my status on facebook i dont get a notfication sound but i get notifications when someone inboxes me how do i fix this its really fustrating me thanks guys
    Make sure you go into the Facebook app and go to Account Settings-Notifications-Mobile Push and make
    sure "comments" is checked. If it is and you're still having the problem, then, you're not alone. Facebook
    app is pretty hit and miss when it comes to notifications.
    08-09-2013 06:39 PM
    Hey ive just done what you have told me andnits already ticked reli need this fixing
    08-09-2013 06:43 PM
    I know that if I lock it when it is in the messaging app while I am texting somebody and it is still in their conversation then I won't get a notification at all. But if I exit the message app I should get sound notifications, and I only do about half the time.
    08-09-2013 11:16 PM
    I'm having the same issue, only with text/iMessage, I'll give apple a call in the morning
    08-11-2013 07:55 PM
    If orange is showing on side switch, there would never be any alert sounds. I get alert sounds sometimes, not always. (Orange is not showing)
    04-06-2014 10:24 PM
    I get an alert for new text messages, but not for replies. Doesn't matter if Messages is open or closed!
    09-16-2015 02:43 PM