I phone 5 goes mute

techmoron

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
This has happened twice in two days: all the sounds disappear except the actual ringer for phone calls. No clicks with typing or alert sounds. I turn the phone off and back on and everything is back to normal. Do I need to return this phone to the store? I've only had it about a month.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had the opposite if I reset my phone it goes mute after startup just chalked it up to a bug

Sent from my iPhone 5

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Call Apple and get your iPhone swapped out. That is not normal and may even get worse over time.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This has happened twice in two days: all the sounds disappear except the actual ringer for phone calls. No clicks with typing or alert sounds. I turn the phone off and back on and everything is back to normal. Do I need to return this phone to the store? I've only had it about a month.

Have your tried restoring ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me a few times where I lose just the keyboard clicks. Reboot fixed it. My boss the other day lost all audio through the speaker. Apple replaced the speaker under warranty. I would say try rebooting. If no dice, replace it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not to claim bluetooth was the issue, and if the car is off it should certainly disconnect, but i know in my truck (and my wife's car), when my phone is connected, there are times where she'll go out to the car in the garage, crank it up and my phone will actually connect to it for a short period while she's driving away, causing all sounds to mute. This usually only lasts a few seconds so I doubt that was the case in your situation, but that's why i asked.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Does it happen at random? A similar issue happens to me whenever I have headphones or external speakers attached to my iPhone 5. Once I detach them, all sounds other than the ringer and text notifications get extremely quiet (almost inaudible). Interestingly enough, *decreasing* the volume from the app switching menu temporarily fixes it. I end up having to restart every time.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Does it happen at random? A similar issue happens to me whenever I have headphones or external speakers attached to my iPhone 5. Once I detach them, all sounds other than the ringer and text notifications get extremely quiet (almost inaudible). Interestingly enough, *decreasing* the volume from the app switching menu temporarily fixes it. I end up having to restart every time.

for me it was random, and only happened twice since ive owned my iphone 5. and its been months since it last happened.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's random. I don't use ear buds or listen to music. It happened again tonight--so the reset fixed it for 5 days only.

Did you make an a Genius Bar appointment with a nearby Apple Store? If not, please take Irish Rose's advice and have them swap it out. Also, when you say that a reset fixed it for 5 days, that tells me that the problem is probably not hardware related. Speaking of reset, did you merely "Reset All Settings" or did you restore your device via iTunes? If the former, may I suggest you connect your device to iTunes and restore as new to rule out any corrupted apps or settings?

techmoron

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I just did a "reset all settings." I'm leery of doing a complete restore, but I can try it. I am wondering about the Bluetooth, though. I think all this started after I paired the phone with my Bluetooth device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I just did a "reset all settings." I'm leery of doing a complete restore, but I can try it. I am wondering about the Bluetooth, though. I think all this started after I paired the phone with my Bluetooth device.
You could be right. Have you turned off bluetooth or at least removed the bluetooth device via your iPhone? If not, give it a try and only use the ear pods for communicating purposes while traveling in your vehicle for about a week or so and see if the phone mutes itself or not.

techmoron

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You could be right. Have you turned off bluetooth or at least removed the bluetooth device via your iPhone? If not, give it a try and only use the ear pods for communicating purposes while traveling in your vehicle for about a week or so and see if the phone mutes itself or not.

Ok. I will try turning off Bluetooth on my phone.

BuhdeeBoy

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My phone did the same thing. Turned keyboard clicks and lock sounds off and back on in settings and haven't had the issue since...probs just a small bug

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR