Conditioning... from reading biased blogs... and familiarity with other apps and contempt for the unfamiliar and contempt for change.
    Come on man. Really? No one has had personal experiences to draw on? It's all in my head, manufactured experiences brought about from reading biased blogs and fear of change, right?

We've been through this. Your reasoning is overly generalized and tags those who have had legitimate gripes as irrelevant.
    Last edited by mulasien; 07-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    07-30-2013 03:30 PM
    Apple maps is very very good keeping in mind it came out only a year ago, but I have no plans to replace Google maps anytime soon.
    07-30-2013 03:37 PM
    Come on man. Really? No one has had personal experiences to draw on? We've been through this. Your reasoning is overly generalized and tags those who have had legitimate gripes as irrelevant.
    Personal experience = conditioning. You're conditioned to despise Apple maps from what you perceive to be its failings - the very ones you've complained about elsewhere in this forum about Apple maps - "failings" that I have also had happen on every navigation platform I've ever used...but because it's happening to you on Apple, you believe Apple is somehow bad. Use whatever works for you... That's what I do... which happens to be first - my Garmin Nuvi... then sometimes Navigon on my iPad, and sometimes Apple Maps on iPhone...
    07-30-2013 04:04 PM
    I like Apple Maps. It has served me well in Sweden when I needed it. Only miss an offline mode. Don't like relying on data connection while driving.
    07-30-2013 04:15 PM
    Personal experience = conditioning. You're conditioned to despise Apple maps from what you perceive to be its failings - the very ones you've complained about elsewhere in this forum about Apple maps - "failings" that I have also had happen on every navigation platform I've ever used...but because it's happening to you on Apple, you believe Apple is somehow bad. Use whatever works for you... That's what I do... which happens to be first - my Garmin Nuvi... then sometimes Navigon on my iPad, and sometimes Apple Maps on iPhone...
    That...makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Not to mention outright insulting.

I don't have a problem with Apple Maps because I'm 'conditioned' to think it's bad. I have a problem with Apple Maps because the locations I've tried to find using it are in the wrong location and incorrect because of bad mapping data. Conditioning and perception has nothing to do with it. I'm not some Pavlov dog here. If I look for a location and Apple Maps says it's in location X, when it's actually at location Y far from X, than I'm 'conditioned' to believe that the mapping data is incorrect and unreliable. I 'perceive' it to be bad because it has been bad. No room for subjectivity here. Either it's accurate or it's not.

When I run into said bad data multiple times on a personal basis (and not from reading a biased tech blog or because I'm scared of new things despite working in the tech sector my entire life, but rather from what I'm personally looking for in an unfamiliar location), then I'm 'conditioned' to have less faith in the mapping application as my default go-to resource for finding locations I'm not familiar with because of it's previous track record, and instead turn to a mapping application with a far better personal track record of getting me to the correct location in an unfamiliar area.

It's even more of a shame when I like the less accurate mapping application and WANT to use it more, but cannot because of it's lack of accuracy based on objective, personal real life experiences not influenced by outside opinions.

Conditioning....because I'm just a dumb dog who drools when someone rings a bell. Give me a break.
    jclisenby likes this.
    07-30-2013 04:17 PM
    It's always worked well for me also, never had a problem.
    07-30-2013 04:27 PM
    That...makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Not to mention outright insulting.

I don't have a problem with Apple Maps because I'm 'conditioned' to think it's bad. I have a problem with Apple Maps because the locations I've tried to find using it are in the wrong location and incorrect because of bad mapping data. Conditioning and perception has nothing to do with it. I'm not some Pavlov dog here. If I look for a location and Apple Maps says it's in location X, when it's actually at location Y far from X, than I'm 'conditioned' to believe that the mapping data is incorrect and unreliable. I 'perceive' it to be bad because it has been bad. No room for subjectivity here. Either it's accurate or it's not.

When I run into said bad data multiple times on a personal basis (and not from reading a biased tech blog or because I'm scared of new things despite working in the tech sector my entire life, but rather from what I'm personally looking for in an unfamiliar location), then I'm 'conditioned' to have less faith in the mapping application as my default go-to resource for finding locations I'm not familiar with because of it's previous track record, and instead turn to a mapping application with a far better personal track record of getting me to the correct location in an unfamiliar area.

It's even more of a shame when I like the less accurate mapping application and WANT to use it more, but cannot because of it's lack of accuracy based on objective, personal real life experiences not influenced by outside opinions.

Conditioning....because I'm just a dumb dog who drools when someone rings a bell. Give me a break.
    You know what I realize reading your response? His "conditioning" comment doesn't apply to you, and you reacted in the assumption that his comment applied to anyone who has ever had a bad experience with the software, when he never said that...he said people "hate" it because of conditioning, and i think that is 110% true. You don't seem like you hate it, and you don't seem to be the kind of person who just trashes the software whenever a conversation about...well...anything comes up relating to the iPhone, so to say I think you've overreacted a bit would be putting it nicely...the blogs and reviews and what not typically are conditioned non-sense, they come from people who've never really put the software to work to see if it functions at all for them...

You have real world experience and a legitimate preference...I personally hope others feel the same way through serious usage experience and proper, but this thread was started, and most of the supporting opinions were stated in light of the other 90% of people out there that have not done the homework, have not used the software, and read a bunch of negative opinions and continue adding horsesh*t to said stories, creating this prejudice against Apple Maps. Great thing about it though is that it really doesn't matter much that it happens, because the software is fantastic to so many people and will continue to get developed into an even better tool.
    jclisenby and kch50428 like this.
    07-30-2013 05:28 PM
    You know what I realize reading your response? His "conditioning" comment doesn't apply to you, and you reacted in the assumption that his comment applied to anyone who has ever had a bad experience with the software, when he never said that...he said people "hate" it because of conditioning, and i think that is 110% true. You don't seem like you hate it, and you don't seem to be the kind of person who just trashes the software whenever a conversation about...well...anything comes up relating to the iPhone, so to say I think you've overreacted a bit would be putting it nicely...the blogs and reviews and what not typically are conditioned non-sense, they come from people who've never really put the software to work to see if it functions at all for them...

You have real world experience and a legitimate preference...I personally hope others feel the same way through serious usage experience and proper, but this thread was started, and most of the supporting opinions were stated in light of the other 90% of people out there that have not done the homework, have not used the software, and read a bunch of negative opinions and continue adding horsesh*t to said stories, creating this prejudice against Apple Maps. Great thing about it though is that it really doesn't matter much that it happens, because the software is fantastic to so many people and will continue to get developed into an even better tool.
    (We need a 'fair enough' smiley on here.)

Anyway, fair enough. I'll stop foaming at the mouth

edit: actually wait, his conditioning/perception response was in direct response to me. So yes, my previous argument stands.
    Last edited by mulasien; 07-30-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    07-30-2013 05:39 PM
    Growing up reading National Geographic and studying the Map inserts, navigating by paper maps and memory for many years as an adult, being seriously lost in remote mountainous regions - or even a few moments of male ego collapse when I had to ask a real person for directions - makes me appreciate and have the same awe for digital mapping technologies as I did for the NatGeo Map inserts and tattered state highway maps as a kid.

Not sure if everyone is aware, so thought I'd share this link to provide a perspective and insight about what goes into designing, developing, deploying, and sustaining a technology tool like Appple Maps Acknowledgements
    As you read through the list of companies and the collective technologies and innovation that they represent, think about what we had before
    kch50428 likes this.
    07-30-2013 08:43 PM
    (We need a 'fair enough' smiley on here.)

Anyway, fair enough. I'll stop foaming at the mouth

edit: actually wait, his conditioning/perception response was in direct response to me. So yes, my previous argument stands.
    No it wasn't. It was directly in response to M85's question about why people "hate" apple maps, a question which was posted right above his conditioning response. You immediately responded in a way that made it seem like you fit the "i hate apple maps, it sucks for everyone.", which is clearly why he retorted again clarifying his initial response. After reading your later post, it turns out that you have at least talked about using the software, and never really gave the impression after explaining your situation that you actually hated the software, and that you just preferred the other, making his conditioning response kind of irrelevant to your actual stance.
    07-30-2013 09:09 PM
    I like both. But as someone who commutes more often than driving. I find google maps to be a lot more useful in that respect and is my top choice.

However, that isn't to say Apple maps is bad or horrible or crap or any of the other 101 negative adjectives slapped on it. Apple has done a great job with their maps services, I still use google maps for turn-by-turn but I absolutely LOVE the built-in Yelp integration on Apple Maps. I also love being able to hold down that good ol' home button and tell Siri where I want to go and she just takes me there.

Both are excellent maps services and way better than the horrible Windows 8 maps on my laptop or the Nokia Maps on my girlfriend's Lumia.
    07-30-2013 09:44 PM
36 12