Hi all,
    Well my son threw my iphone 5 in the water.didnt work.ended up calling Verizon for a replacement(170.00)Already paid Debit.Now 2 days later i went to charge iphone & now works!So my question is you think i can return the replacement iphone & get my money back?Trying to save some money.Times are tough.My phone is my lifeline so i thought the phone was toast.So rushed for a replacement not thinking.What i dont like is they want my old phone & still pay the replacement fee.I only made 2 calls from replacement phone so far wether that matters & is activated now.For that price we should keep it.Anyway anyone have some thoughts on this ,thx.
    07-24-2013 10:18 PM
    The old phone may work now... but depending on how much water got in it, damage can show up any time. Were I in your place, I'd go with the replacement.
    BlaineP likes this.
    07-24-2013 10:26 PM
    I'd sell your old one on the local Craigslist or something.. You'd probably get at least 350-400$ depending on the condition.
    07-24-2013 10:46 PM
    I'd sell your old one on the local Craigslist or something.. You'd probably get at least 350-400$ depending on the condition.

Would you want to buy a watered damaged phone whether its working or not for that much? No I don't think so. If Victor has any ethics, he'll disclose those that when selling if he decides to go that route.
    scorpiodsu and Eileen89 like this.
    07-25-2013 02:31 AM
    Can't not sell your old one verizon requires it in order to not be billed the remaining full retail price of the new phone they sent .

I'm not sure of they will let you return since you activated but I would try but just know with water damage it could have issues down the road and could end up replacing it anyways

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    07-25-2013 04:28 AM
    Use the new, send back the old one.
    07-25-2013 08:38 AM
    The old phone may work now... but depending on how much water got in it, damage can show up any time. Were I in your place, I'd go with the replacement.
    Use the new, send back the old one.
    I'm with those guys. Use the new one and return the damaged one.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-25-2013 08:52 AM
    I agree with the others. You don't want to mess with a water damaged phone. It may seem to be working now but who knows when it will stop. Stay with the new phone and send the old one back.
    07-25-2013 09:26 AM
    You can easily sell the water damaged one to cover the cost of the replacement. Just disclose it to the seller and you will have no problem. I see water damaged ones going on eBay for well over that. Some people are willing to to take risk if the price is minimum. Same thing happened to be a couple years back. Wife washed my pants with my iPhone 4 in the pocket. Phone didn't come on so I figured it was dead (and why wouldn't it be?). Bought another to replace it and the one that was washed came on 3 days later by itself. Well I sold the replacement one I got for and used my same phone for nearly a year before getting rid of it. But I was willing to take the chance of anything that would eventually break. If you are willing to do the same, sell the replacement for well over what you paid and you'll have some extra cash but will probably have in the back of your mind what will happen if the phone craps out. In any event, I see nothing wrong with keep or selling either as long as you disclose the damage to a future buyer or are willing to live with the possibility of failure with the caveat of making a little extra dough LOL.
    07-25-2013 04:54 PM
    You can easily sell the water damaged one to cover the cost of the replacement. Just disclose it to the seller and you will have no problem. I see water damaged ones going on eBay for well over that. Some people are willing to to take risk if the price is minimum. Same thing happened to be a couple years back. Wife washed my pants with my iPhone 4 in the pocket. Phone didn't come on so I figured it was dead (and why wouldn't it be?). Bought another to replace it and the one that was washed came on 3 days later by itself. Well I sold the replacement one I got for and used my same phone for nearly a year before getting rid of it. But I was willing to take the chance of anything that would eventually break. If you are willing to do the same, sell the replacement for well over what you paid and you'll have some extra cash but will probably have in the back of your mind what will happen if the phone craps out. In any event, I see nothing wrong with keep or selling either as long as you disclose the damage to a future buyer or are willing to live with the possibility of failure with the caveat of making a little extra dough LOL.
    No, the original damaged phone can't be sold under any circumstances.... if it's an insurance claim, the damaged phone has to be returned, or the replacement phone will be billed to the account holder at the difference between what he's already paid for the replacement & retail price.
    Last edited by kch50428; 07-25-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    07-25-2013 04:57 PM
    No, the replacement can't be sold under any circumstances.... if it's an insurance claim, the damaged phone has to be returned, or the replacement phone will be billed to the account holder at the difference between what he's already paid for the replacement & retail price.
    Ah yeah. I forgot about they needed the other phone back. For some idiotic reason I was thinking he got both and didn't need to send anything back. Duh. But a replacement phone can be sold and used on another line as long as it's paid for and you return the other device. They can't stop you from using it elsewhere since it's yours now. But the other stuff, I agree.
    07-25-2013 05:03 PM
    Ah yeah. I forgot about they needed the other phone back. For some idiotic reason I was thinking he got both and didn't need to send anything back. Duh. But a replacement phone can be sold and used on another line as long as it's paid for and you return the other device. They can't stop you from using it elsewhere since it's yours now. But the other stuff, I agree.
    I goofed above - edited previous response... once an insurance claim is done, and damaged phone returned - the "replacement" device is subject to whatever the owner wants to do with it.
    07-25-2013 05:11 PM
    You don't have a choice. The original damaged phone has to be returned or you'll be charged full price for the replacement.
    07-25-2013 05:21 PM
    First, I am glad to hear that you were able to get a replacement from Apple. That said as others in this thread have mentioned you will need to send the original iPhone back that had water damage. I think the new one you received is a better choice anyway as it will be more stable than that other one over time.
    07-25-2013 05:26 PM