Iphone 5 fell in water,paid for replacement but now old phone works help

Victor FranKo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
Well my son threw my iphone 5 in the water.didnt work.ended up calling Verizon for a replacement(170.00)Already paid Debit.Now 2 days later i went to charge iphone & now works!So my question is you think i can return the replacement iphone & get my money back?Trying to save some money.Times are tough.My phone is my lifeline so i thought the phone was toast.So rushed for a replacement not thinking.What i dont like is they want my old phone & still pay the replacement fee.I only made 2 calls from replacement phone so far wether that matters & is activated now.For that price we should keep it.Anyway anyone have some thoughts on this ,thx.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The old phone may work now... but depending on how much water got in it, damage can show up any time. Were I in your place, I'd go with the replacement.

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd sell your old one on the local Craigslist or something.. You'd probably get at least 350-400$ depending on the condition.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd sell your old one on the local Craigslist or something.. You'd probably get at least 350-400$ depending on the condition.

Would you want to buy a watered damaged phone whether its working or not for that much? No I don't think so. If Victor has any ethics, he'll disclose those that when selling if he decides to go that route.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Can't not sell your old one verizon requires it in order to not be billed the remaining full retail price of the new phone they sent .

I'm not sure of they will let you return since you activated but I would try but just know with water damage it could have issues down the road and could end up replacing it anyways

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Lou_Russ

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the others. You don't want to mess with a water damaged phone. It may seem to be working now but who knows when it will stop. Stay with the new phone and send the old one back.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can easily sell the water damaged one to cover the cost of the replacement. Just disclose it to the seller and you will have no problem. I see water damaged ones going on eBay for well over that. Some people are willing to to take risk if the price is minimum. Same thing happened to be a couple years back. Wife washed my pants with my iPhone 4 in the pocket. Phone didn't come on so I figured it was dead (and why wouldn't it be?). Bought another to replace it and the one that was washed came on 3 days later by itself. Well I sold the replacement one I got for and used my same phone for nearly a year before getting rid of it. But I was willing to take the chance of anything that would eventually break. If you are willing to do the same, sell the replacement for well over what you paid and you'll have some extra cash but will probably have in the back of your mind what will happen if the phone craps out. In any event, I see nothing wrong with keep or selling either as long as you disclose the damage to a future buyer or are willing to live with the possibility of failure with the caveat of making a little extra dough LOL.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can easily sell the water damaged one to cover the cost of the replacement. Just disclose it to the seller and you will have no problem. I see water damaged ones going on eBay for well over that. Some people are willing to to take risk if the price is minimum. Same thing happened to be a couple years back. Wife washed my pants with my iPhone 4 in the pocket. Phone didn't come on so I figured it was dead (and why wouldn't it be?). Bought another to replace it and the one that was washed came on 3 days later by itself. Well I sold the replacement one I got for and used my same phone for nearly a year before getting rid of it. But I was willing to take the chance of anything that would eventually break. If you are willing to do the same, sell the replacement for well over what you paid and you'll have some extra cash but will probably have in the back of your mind what will happen if the phone craps out. In any event, I see nothing wrong with keep or selling either as long as you disclose the damage to a future buyer or are willing to live with the possibility of failure with the caveat of making a little extra dough LOL.

No, the original damaged phone can't be sold under any circumstances.... if it's an insurance claim, the damaged phone has to be returned, or the replacement phone will be billed to the account holder at the difference between what he's already paid for the replacement & retail price.

Last edited:

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No, the replacement can't be sold under any circumstances.... if it's an insurance claim, the damaged phone has to be returned, or the replacement phone will be billed to the account holder at the difference between what he's already paid for the replacement & retail price.

Ah yeah. I forgot about they needed the other phone back. For some idiotic reason I was thinking he got both and didn't need to send anything back. Duh. But a replacement phone can be sold and used on another line as long as it's paid for and you return the other device. They can't stop you from using it elsewhere since it's yours now. But the other stuff, I agree.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ah yeah. I forgot about they needed the other phone back. For some idiotic reason I was thinking he got both and didn't need to send anything back. Duh. But a replacement phone can be sold and used on another line as long as it's paid for and you return the other device. They can't stop you from using it elsewhere since it's yours now. But the other stuff, I agree.

I goofed above - edited previous response... once an insurance claim is done, and damaged phone returned - the "replacement" device is subject to whatever the owner wants to do with it.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You don't have a choice. The original damaged phone has to be returned or you'll be charged full price for the replacement.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
First, I am glad to hear that you were able to get a replacement from Apple. That said as others in this thread have mentioned you will need to send the original iPhone back that had water damage. I think the new one you received is a better choice anyway as it will be more stable than that other one over time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice