Anyone Else Bored With Their iPhone?

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes I don't understand Chetan, when iOS 7 was unveiled he shouted from the mountain tops that it was such a refreshing change he was coming back to iPhone yet most of his posts on iMore have been defending Android to a fault.

I understand being objective and liking both OSes but from his posts it seems that he's still an iOS hater even though he 'clearly wants to come back'.

Sent from Jack Bauer's PDA.
I am not an iOS hater. trust me mate. If you see me on Android Central I defend Apple like no other person ever has. Yes I will be returning to iPhones but exclusively? No.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Are you going to label any real life experiences that differ from yours as 'troll comments' again just because it doesn't fit your opinion?

Here, I'll help you out:

I had a Galaxy S2, Samsung's flagship phone at the time I got it.

Battery life was so-so on 2.3.4 (about half what my old previous iPhone 3G had). Then it got updated to 2.3.6 and battery life nose-dived. The issues with battery life with 2.3.6 were very well documented. Even better, an updated fix existed for the 2.3.6 battery issue, but AT&T never bothered to push it out. You can blame that on a carrier issue, true. However iPhones updates aren't held hostage to carriers like Android phones are.

Further down the road, 4.0 is finally released (only 8 months after it was officially announced). It's decent, battery is still crap but not *quite* as bad as 2.3.6 AFTER I spend a considerable time fiddling, customizing, and generally having to **** around with the phone just to get 'decent' functionality (the true face of Android's 'customizeability', having to screw with it non-stop just to figure out what's screwing it up).

Then 4.0.4 got released, and proceeded to make a whole crap-ton of AT&T GS2's go through the 'sleep of death' issue. Phone would randomly not want to wake from a sleep state, forcing a hard reset and 20% less battery remaining after the reboot. This was a very widely reported issue. This rendered the phone almost unusable for me. I had to get around it by loading CM 10.1, which actually ran pretty nice. However the default Android apologist's answer of "just root and ROM it" to deal with the shortcomings of Android is an unacceptable answer for the general public, nor should it be.

About 3 months after 4.0.4 got released, AT&T finally acknowledged the issue existed, and 2 month after that finally pushed an update to fix it.

CM 10.1 was actually working pretty well for me until I got an iPhone 5 through work. After about a week of learning just how WELL the phone worked without having to **** around with it all the time like my GS2, I was converted.

And before you get the idea that I'm some simpleton who's afraid of technology: I've worked in the IT field for my entire adult life, working with all sorts of technology. Bad tech is bad tech, and continuing to put up with bad tech in favor of technology that actually works does not make one a 'leet tech pro'. It just makes one a stubborn dumb ***. The users I support would not tolerate their PC's and server architecture (which they rely on to do their jobs) to randomly die on them several times a day like some smartphones do, but apparently that's OK with phones and makes one a 'tech savvy' person to put up with it. Ridiculous logic.

So yeah, this was a flagship, top tier Android phone from the most successful Android manufacturer that ran like absolute crap until I finally had to hack it compared to my iOS device.

Does that answer your question?
Oh, Samsung is ****. The GS2 I would have hardly called "flagship" and Android was a massive lagfest during 2.x.x they only fixed the lag in 4.1

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying its perfect and of course the home button will fail that's not a bug though, a physical part of the phone that's used everyday is bound to wear out. Most of the issues that plague One and S4 owners are software related. In general iOS is more stable, I'm not saying there are no bugs period but compared to Android Terminex would be out of business if it relied on Apple haha.

Sent from Jack Bauer's PDA.
OK I see your point. Yeah manufacturers really make Android ****. Stock is best.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Why are you here?

Because
A) I have a MacBook pro and it's the best computer I have owned.
B) I have an iPad 4, best tablet there is currently.
C)With iOS 7 I will be coming back to the iPhone.

Here are my thoughts on iOS 7:

It was a massive change UI wise and they added tonnes of useful software features, but this is just the base and I strongly feel Apple did not have enough time to implement all the features they wanted to in iOS 7. Let's look at it this way, iOS 7 is basically iOS 1 and it will take time for Apple to fully polish iOS 1/7.

Until they have polished it up and added the new big features in iOS 8,9 whatever I will still use a Nexus phone as my daily driver.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh, Samsung is ****. The GS2 I would have hardly called "flagship" and Android was a massive lagfest during 2.x.x they only fixed the lag in 4.1

See, that's the problem with the Android community as I see it:

"Oh, you shouldn't have gotten 'X' Android phone. It's crap. 'Y' Android phone is so much better and avoids 'X's issues." I have to do extensive research just to get the 'right' phone that won't screw up on me, especially since the top tier, most heavily advertised Android phones are apparently the 'wrong' ones as well. That's ridiculous.

The GS2 *was* the most popular, heavily advertised, and biggest flagship phone when it was released. Even when 4.0 hit, it was only marginally improved. It went to total crap when 4.0.4 hit (as mentioned before). It only just now got 4.1, a FULL YEAR after Google released it (yes, I know that rooting and ROM'ing is the solution to the update wait. It's still not an acceptable solution for the general public).

By your logic, I should have researched XDA and other Android forums for hours just to find the 'correct' Android phone that wouldn't turn into a steaming pile of junk on me. Or....I could have just gotten an iPhone and not have to dealt with those issues to begin with.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

"Oh, you shouldn't have gotten 'X' Android phone. It's crap. 'Y' Android phone is so much better and avoids 'X's issues." I have to do extensive research just to get the 'right' phone that won't screw up on me, especially since the top tier, most heavily advertised Android phones are apparently the 'wrong' ones as well. That's ridiculous.

The GS2 *was* the most popular, heavily advertised, and biggest flagship phone when it was released. Even when 4.0 hit, it was only marginally improved. It went to total crap when 4.0.4 hit (as mentioned before). It only just now got 4.1, a FULL YEAR after Google released it (yes, I know that rooting and ROM'ing is the solution to the update wait. It's still not an acceptable solution for the general public).

By your logic, I should have researched XDA and other Android forums for hours just to find the 'correct' Android phone that wouldn't turn into a steaming pile of junk on me. Or....I could have just gotten an iPhone and not have to dealt with those issues to begin with.

I agree. I have heard this many times.... You should have gotten Phone A vs Phone B... Happens to often then none at all.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I have heard this many times.... You should have gotten Phone A vs Phone B... Happens to often then none at all.

Even then, as I later became educated and learned of Nexus products, I also learned that the almighty Nexus devices have their own issues. The biggest of which is that while they're running stock Android and get frequent updates, their hardware is almost always 'mid-range' at best (at least with phones, I know the Nexus tablets have high end specs when they've been released).

The Galaxy Nexus has had reported issues with poor battery life and poor display compared to higher end 'skinned' Android phones.
The Nexus 4's camera is mid-range at best. If you want an outstanding camera phone on an Android device, you have to get an HTC One or GS4, but then you deal with the skins and bloat. Better camera/top specs, or pure Android experience? You can pick one, but not both (unless you want to pay $600+ for an unlocked Google edition of the One or GS4). "But...it's all about choice!" I'd rather have an all in one package with ALL the goodies instead of having to 'choose' between a reliable OS, or top tier hardware. Some 'choice'.

Or.....you can get an iPhone which has all a high end camera, top tier hardware, AND runs reliably without the need to constantly fiddle with it to just make it work right.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Even then, as I later became educated and learned of Nexus products, I also learned that the almighty Nexus devices have their own issues.

That's the biggest issue with Android today... People don't want to earn a degree to purchase a phone and use...

​Good points by the way :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Because
A) I have a MacBook pro and it's the best computer I have owned.
B) I have an iPad 4, best tablet there is currently.
C)With iOS 7 I will be coming back to the iPhone.

Here are my thoughts on iOS 7:

It was a massive change UI wise and they added tonnes of useful software features, but this is just the base and I strongly feel Apple did not have enough time to implement all the features they wanted to in iOS 7. Let's look at it this way, iOS 7 is basically iOS 1 and it will take time for Apple to fully polish iOS 1/7.

Until they have polished it up and added the new big features in iOS 8,9 whatever I will still use a Nexus phone as my daily driver.

It was more of a rhetorical question...it always seems strange to me that a person subscribes to a particular forum like ours but converses in the manner that you have and do, begging the question on the intentions of that person on said forum. Happens all around the internet...not just here, but many times it's worth pointing out the obvious by asking questions that really didn't need to be responded to to be answered.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site

That really isn't a problem. Apple doesn't give people choice. The GS2 was bad(but samsung is bad anyway) The Optimus G pro the HTC ONe, Nexus 4 are all good phones neither are bad. If people think the iPhone is an uncompromised beast then you must be dreaming.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That really isn't a problem. Apple doesn't give people choice. The GS2 was bad(but samsung is bad anyway) The Optimus G pro the HTC ONe, Nexus 4 are all good phones neither are bad. If people think the iPhone is an uncompromised beast then you must be dreaming.

oh Hi Chetan! :biggrin:

this is the majority of the problem. people like you who think there are millions upon millions who think the iPhone is an "uncompromised beast" when in reality most could give a **** less as long as it does what they want

lets just lay our weiners on a table and get it over with already!

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site

this is the majority of the problem. people like you who think there are millions upon millions who think the iPhone is an "uncompromised beast" when in reality most could give a **** less as long as it does what they want

Specs wise it is a beast(I'm not the type of person that cares about specs in smartPHONES) but what about important specs such as battery life? and screen saturation? I found call quality much better on my Nexus 4 then my iPhone 5(The Nexus 4 uses an newer ear piece or something like that) those specs, people SHOULD care about and at this stage I find my Nexus 4 to be amuck better PHONE then the iPhone 5. Just my humble opinion though:) Can't wait to get my hands on iOS 7 and the next iPhone.

Cheers!

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Swear to God I haven't laughed that hard in a while

Edit: Still lol!

Last edited:

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I got a Nexus 7 to scratch my android itch. And while I love it, I am convinced an Android phone would not cure any boredom that may come. So if you appreciate iOS for what it offers (in my opinion quality and quantity of apps on a device that works wonderfully) stick with iOS, get a hobby and an android tablet.

On this Nexus I can't find some of favorite apps and those that I find are usually terribly done on Android. I have no widgets as they are all ugly in my opinion and Google did Jelly Bean so well I see no reason for further customizations.

Of course your needs might be different, determine what they are and buy the huitable device.

Question: What is their to do on a phone that aliviates boredom from another?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro