I did two water damage repairs over the weekend for brothers who bought iPhone 5s and Lifeproof cases, both from the Verizon store. They went to the river, and both phones got wet.

I haven't inspected many Lifeproof cases in person, except for the one I use on my iPad, but these guys' cases seemed cheap, flimsy, and of poor build quality. What are the chances that they were duped into fake cases if their story is true about getting them straight from Verizon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-22-2013 11:35 AM
    This following statement is from the Lifeproof website:

"Is your LifeProof product not living up to LifeProof standards? Were sorry about that. To file a warranty claim, fill out the information below and our Customer Service team will contact you as soon as possible."

That tells *me* that those cases are not error proof. As for Verizon, they are merely sellers of the merchandise and may or may not be of assistance to you. I doubt they'd replace your damaged devices and will more than likely direct you to Lifeproof. I'm only guessing, however. Still, you might as well fill out a warranty claim with Lifeproof since, according to you, the devices got we're inside their Lifeproof cases. You can file a claim via the following link.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/contact/warranty/
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 07-22-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    07-22-2013 12:17 PM
    Thanks. As communicated above, the phones are not mine. One was repaired, and the other was pronounced dead.
    07-22-2013 12:27 PM
    While there are fake lifeproof cases out there. I doubt very highly that the ones Verizon sell in their stores are fake.
    07-23-2013 05:26 AM
    Just to throw this in...LifeProof was just sold and bought out by Otterbox if not mistaken which has nothing to do as I mentioned about fake cases but just wanted to bring it to your your attention.
    07-23-2013 08:31 PM
    I agree with IR may have been a couple of bad cases. I have bought all my LP cases from VZW and have never had a problem. My son just had his in the pool for over two hours and all is good. I basically have mine in case I get caught in the rain, not swimming with my phone lol.

07-23-2013 09:54 PM
    I did two water damage repairs over the weekend for brothers who bought iPhone 5s and Lifeproof cases, both from the Verizon store. They went to the river, and both phones got wet.

I haven't inspected many Lifeproof cases in person, except for the one I use on my iPad, but these guys' cases seemed cheap, flimsy, and of poor build quality. What are the chances that they were duped into fake cases if their story is true about getting them straight from Verizon?

The market is flooded with fakes. My local CL has them all over for 20 bucks. Some have very real looking boxes and the copies look very close. When it comes with a case that provides was protection I will always buy direct from the manufacturer. BTW the Lifeproof NUUD case for iPhone 5 is stellar.
    07-27-2013 12:42 AM

From my experience FWIW the one life proof case I had for my iPhone 4, purchased from the life proof site, felt cheap, flimsy and of poor quality. It was also very early on in the companies existance. And upon looking at the cases for the 5 they still look to be cheap and flimsy to me.

Do you know if they did the proper submersion test prior to installing on the phone? If not that could be the flaw from the start. I highly doubt that VZW would be stocking fake cases for the simple fact they wouldn't want to face legal issues. Unless of course it wasn't an actual VZW store but an "Authorized VZW Retailer", I have seen these "Authorized Retailers" for wireless companies do some things not on the up and up.
    07-27-2013 08:43 AM
    I have the lifeproof case on my iPhone 5 and although I don't care about the water proof part. However I have done two warranty claims with Lifeproof and they are a great company at least they were to me. They replaced the damaged part of the case and now they are replacing the headphone extension cable without me needing to return the defective one. When I got a replacement for the case there is a serial number on the back and the front of the case. So if you still have the cases look for the serial numbers and that would be a really easy way to determine it's validity. Also was there a yellow gasket inside the case when you pulled it apart.
    07-27-2013 11:02 PM
    The best hing to do is buy on authorized dealers. Most of fake are form China. Apple products are the preferred kind of electronics for hipsters and yuppies, two groups which kindle little compassion among their friends. However, even those aforementioned miserable miscreants should get what they purchase and counterfeit iPads are still rampant.
    09-24-2013 12:19 AM