This may get moved as it does not pertain solely to the iphone 5. But since I spend most of my time in this subforum I thought I would pose the question here.

I have been curious as to what you feel accounts for your obsession with your phone? Whether it be an iphone or any other make/model. I assume there is some level of obsession, otherwise we would not be spending time on a forum discussing it to no end. And even if you are the silent 'creeper' type lol, you still spend time comnig here to read. I know countless people who simply use their device as it is intended, without ever thinking of joining a forum to discuss the things that we do. Or is it simply that you have some downtime during the day and this helps fill the void a bit?

It is just a random thought I was pondering. For me, my phone is my most cherished material possession. Likely because it is my camera, photo library, video player, game maching, alarm clock, note taker, computer, GPS, weather station, newspaper, social mechanism, etc, etc....oh yeah and phone too. It is the one thing I feel I must have with me at all times. But beyond that, I still feel I must read all I can about it, do all I can with it, heck even defend it at times against the opposition. And that is where I realize that it has become more than just a device I use. That is the part I cannot exactly figure out. The 'why' I have taken it to this level.
    Last edited by finn5975; 07-22-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    07-22-2013 08:28 AM
    What works for me is easy...Simplicity of design, OS, Apps that work for my needs, Very little if no trouble with the phone working and everything I need or ask it to do it just does. There is just not more I need in a phone and with the possible exception of a larger screen because I own a 4S now that is it. Thanks for posing the question.

One last item as you say... You always find yourself defending the iPhone against competitors... I don't at all, I just let it defend itself based on what I listed as my needs with the phone and being trouble free in 22 months of ownership.
    07-22-2013 08:33 AM
    ...(snipped)...For me, my phone is my most cherished material possession. Likely because it is my camera, photo library, video player, game maching, alarm clock, note taker, computer, GPS, weather station, newspaper, social mechanism, etc, etc....oh yeah and phone too. It is the one thing I feel I must have with me at all times. But beyond that, I still feel I must read all I can about it, do all I can with it, heck even defend it at times against the opposition. And that is where I realize that it has become more than just a device I use. That is the part I cannot exactly figure out. The 'why' I have taken it to this level.
    You hit the nail on the head with that statement, my friend. 'nuf said...
    07-22-2013 11:11 AM
    It just works for me. Simple to use, dependability, iOS, apps. It does everything I want it to do.
    07-22-2013 12:24 PM
    I believe you with in a short time that the iPhone and iOS just work perfectly together. My iPhone is slowly allowing me to leave the desktop behind. I would completely if not for several applications (Quicken, etc) that do not have comparable apps. So, I am happy and look forward to many improvements in the future.

One note: I would actually love an iPhone the size of an iPod nano. This is because I do only a small amount of video viewing on the iPhone and more on my iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-22-2013 12:59 PM
    I am the last person in America to get a mobile device. If it were not for my twins 8 years ago, I really saw no need to enable the people I work with every day to reach me during my non-work time. They all said "get one and you will see why." Well, that part is true.

My first smartphone was a BB, one of those large clunky models with a non-touch screen and just a few apps. Through contract renewals, I got three more BBs. The more I learned about what a smartphone can do, including all the stuff listed by the OP, I became more and more into all of the things that bring each of us to this site. I used Crackberry religiously, at a time when it was actually possible to win some of their app giveaways (I think I won about four in all). Before there were 10s of thousands of users.

My issue with the BB was that, the more I used it, the more I used the many apps that were available, the more I found myself having to pull the damn battery day after day just to clear out the bugs. I loved working with developers on their themes, testing and commenting before they were released. I found that there was SOMETHING in the BB code that effectively required a user to perform a restart by pulling the battery every time you switched themes, and this got old.

Having bought an ipad 2 when they came out, I knew that there was a large app store and many things that you can do with your idevice that you cannot do with others. However, I also knew that, unless I was into JB'ing, I would lose the ability to use different themes. This held me back a while, but when it got to the point where I had to pull the battery up to four times a week, I bailed and went with the iphone 5. It was a natural transition to sign up at imore and continue my daily obsession with reviewing the articles and forums. I haven't won anything here, and likely will not. And there is some part of me that misses the ability to change the way the phone looks (including the icons) just to change the daily drudge. I have not yet jailbroken my phone and so I use the stock icons, but then again, I haven't had to "pull the battery" since I bought the phone (and thank goodness for that since you cannot readily access the battery on the iphone!).

So, there's my story. Wake up, everyone!!

Doug
    07-22-2013 01:18 PM
    Simple and it works.
    Fausty82 and pr1nce like this.
    07-22-2013 01:28 PM
    Simply... it just works. It’s reliable, dependable, pleasing to the eye, perfect size, more apps that I will ever need ... and it just works.
    seashell93 and pr1nce like this.
    07-22-2013 01:28 PM
    Simple and it works.
    Dude, you stole mine... even as I was typing it...
    octavian90 likes this.
    07-22-2013 01:29 PM
    Well you didn't make it simple enough..... lol
    07-22-2013 01:31 PM
    It all began for me with the blackberry...and now that I have had my 4 for just over a year, it's increased immensely!!! The ease of use, number of apps, being connected to family and friends, my music, few games, fitness app, Twitter and of course iMore....geesh, I'm surprised I have time to work and eat!!!! It really is never far from my reach and I hyperventilate when/if I had to be without it for any length of time!!

Sent from my sweet sassy iPhone
    07-22-2013 01:32 PM
    I guess what I am truly wondering is, not what defines your obsession with the "iPhone" per se, but the obsession with your "phone" in general. Why we in the forums are the way we are instead of the average user who simply uses their phone for what it is.

My wife is a good example. She uses her 5 to text, talk and Facebook . That's it. Period. She couldn't even tell you how to move an icon and doesn't care to learn. Then there are us. Dissecting even the smallest of nuances and discussing them in a forum. Is it simply that it's our hobby?
    07-22-2013 02:02 PM
    I enjoy the knowledge base here, will pick up a wally or two from time to time, and enjoy reading what others are experiencing with the entire mobile community. And you were right earlier that it never hurts to kill those slow times with something that is of interest.
    07-22-2013 02:14 PM
    I guess what I am truly wondering is, not what defines your obsession with the "iPhone" per se, but the obsession with your "phone" in general. Why we in the forums are the way we are instead of the average user who simply uses their phone for what it is.

My wife is a good example. She uses her 5 to text, talk and Facebook . That's it. Period. She couldn't even tell you how to move an icon and doesn't care to learn. Then there are us. Dissecting even the smallest of nuances and discussing them in a forum. Is it simply that it's our hobby?
    Simply put, we share an affinity for technology and enjoy using it for all it's worth.
    Jaguarr40 and pr1nce like this.
    07-22-2013 02:26 PM
    Simply put, we share an affinity for technology and enjoy using it for all it's worth.
    Amen to that brother. It's a great thing I have iMore because most of my friends simply think I am nuts
    pr1nce likes this.
    07-22-2013 02:27 PM
    Amen to that brother. It's a great thing I have iMore because most of my friends simply think I am nuts
    (Laughing)....I hear ya, but at the same time, you're the first person they call when they're experiencing technological problems. That is how it is with me.
    pr1nce likes this.
    07-22-2013 02:30 PM
    This I would have to agree with and for risk of getting killed on this one by the women...lol but maybe by nature we guys just like to get into technology in more depth and tinker around more. At least that is what my answer is and I am sticking to it.
    07-22-2013 03:01 PM
    This may get moved as it does not pertain solely to the iphone 5. But since I spend most of my time in this subforum I thought I would pose the question here.

I have been curious as to what you feel accounts for your obsession with your phone? Whether it be an iphone or any other make/model. I assume there is some level of obsession, otherwise we would not be spending time on a forum discussing it to no end. And even if you are the silent 'creeper' type lol, you still spend time comnig here to read. I know countless people who simply use their device as it is intended, without ever thinking of joining a forum to discuss the things that we do. Or is it simply that you have some downtime during the day and this helps fill the void a bit?

It is just a random thought I was pondering. For me, my phone is my most cherished material possession. Likely because it is my camera, photo library, video player, game maching, alarm clock, note taker, computer, GPS, weather station, newspaper, social mechanism, etc, etc....oh yeah and phone too. It is the one thing I feel I must have with me at all times. But beyond that, I still feel I must read all I can about it, do all I can with it, heck even defend it at times against the opposition. And that is where I realize that it has become more than just a device I use. That is the part I cannot exactly figure out. The 'why' I have taken it to this level.
    I'm simply in awe of mobile technology. It never ceases to amaze me how powerful these devices are that we carry around in our pockets. There's nothing like stepping off of an airplane in a foreign country, jumping in the rental car, and having your phone find a perfect restaurant and give you turn-by-turn directions without skipping a beat. Truly amazing.
    07-22-2013 05:53 PM
    Simplicity of design, ease of use, potential of productivity, and the blend of software and hardware to create a fluid, light, yet deep and immersive, software experience that allows me to appreciate all sides of the phone both in a metaphorical and literal sense. Apple did this perfectly in my opinion with the Iphone 5. This was something I have not been able to find in other platforms, say for the HTC One for Android, yet lacks the simplicity of software design to me. I also greatly appreciate the minimalist design of IOS which allows me to really focus on work with my phone. So to conclude, simplicity, practicality, physical design aesthetics and the minimalist approach to software design has been the definitive factors for my Iphone "Obsession. "
    07-22-2013 06:14 PM
    Being a Blackberry loyalist I had been brainwashed. I believed there was nothing better than a Blackberry. For many years I wouldn't consider anything other than a Blackberry. I was obsessed with the brand. I think I was in love with that darn blinking red light. I carried it everywhere I went. Whether cooking in the kitchen, cleaning house with holster on, taking a shower, going for a walk or anywhere else. 5 models later I bought my husband a IPhone 4S. I kept playing with it and voila I was captured by the Ibug. All the doctors I work for had IPhones. That was 20 IPhones in one office. So with the Verizon Z10 screwup after 4 returns I decided I was done. I decided to give the Iphone 5 a chance and I've never looked back. My baby goes everywhere with me. Laugh if you will but my phone sleeps with me. It is my music player, my only computer, my alarm clock, my day planner, my clock, my forum reader, my entertainment arena and my best friend. I love reading and enjoy the screenshots. I am totally obsessed with my phone. I am pretty much a loner and a recluse so my phone is where I spend most of my time. iOS works for me. I no longer feel the need to have the greatest and latest. I love the App Store. I love the moderators and the members of the iforums. After wondering where a lot of my old friends went I found them on the Iphone forums. I am totally obsessed to no end. I love my Ieverything. Nothing better on this side of the mighty Mississippi. My boss said me and my Iphone are joined at the hip. I love this beautiful, black, bold and bad I5.

Just_Me_D, pr1nce and Aubre34 like this.
    07-22-2013 08:12 PM
    Being a Blackberry loyalist I had been brainwashed. I believed there was nothing better than a Blackberry. For many years I wouldn't consider anything other than a Blackberry. I was obsessed with the brand. I think I was in love with that darn blinking red light. I carried it everywhere I went. Whether cooking in the kitchen, cleaning house with holster on, taking a shower, going for a walk or anywhere else. 5 models later I bought my husband a IPhone 4S. I kept playing with it and voila I was captured by the Ibug. All the doctors I work for had IPhones. That was 20 IPhones in one office. So with the Verizon Z10 screwup after 4 returns I decided I was done. I decided to give the Iphone 5 a chance and I've never looked back. My baby goes everywhere with me. Laugh if you will but my phone sleeps with me. It is my music player, my only computer, my alarm clock, my day planner, my clock, my forum reader, my entertainment arena and my best friend. I love reading and enjoy the screenshots. I am totally obsessed with my phone. I am pretty much a loner and a recluse so my phone is where I spend most of my time. iOS works for me. I no longer feel the need to have the greatest and latest. I love the App Store. I love the moderators and the members of the iforums. After wondering where a lot of my old friends went I found them on the Iphone forums. I am totally obsessed to no end. I love my Ieverything. Nothing better on this side of the mighty Mississippi. My boss said me and my Iphone are joined at the hip. I love this beautiful, black, bold and bad I5.

(laughing)...I was the same way in regard to Blackberry. I enjoy the iPhone a great deal and have no intentions of changing brands, but I have yet to reach the level I was with the Blackberry....
    07-22-2013 08:33 PM
    (laughing)...I was the same way in regard to Blackberry. I enjoy the iPhone a great deal and have no intentions of changing brands, but I have yet to reach the level I was with the Blackberry....
    Me too D. I was a loyal Blackberry user for years. I wouldn't even consider anything but a Blackberry. I've had my 4S since the end of last year and I haven't looked back. An amazing device that works.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-22-2013 08:57 PM
    i too was a BB loyalist. never thought i'd leave that platform or the physical keyboard. then i had an upgrade come due so i gave the iPhone 3G a try and could not type very well on it - took it back - just to buy it again a week later! i guess i made the move since i wanted to try something "new and exciting", and lets admit even 5 years ago seems ancient in the smartphone world. i haven't had the new phone urge to that degree ... yet

there are a plethora of reasons why i am obsessed with my iPhone and all of them put together prevent me from putting the damn thing down!
    Just_Me_D and pr1nce like this.
    07-22-2013 10:19 PM

I suspect it's similar to why some people are into cars, whereas others just see them as transportation. Or why my wife has 20 pairs of shoes, while I only have 5. Just a matter of interest. I think those of us here look at our phones as more than just something that makes and receives phone calls, lets you send text messages with a virtual or hardware QWERTY keyboard, or and lets you use Facebook on the go. Those are just basic functionality. We dive deeper, we want to maximize the use of our phones and unlock all its potential - so we're interested in the specs, in changes that comes with each OS update, in the latest apps and accessories etc...all those things that "regular" people have little or no interest in because all they want to be able to do is the basics.
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    07-23-2013 01:09 AM
    In my case... it's the connectability and flexibility a mobile phone gives me. Currently, I use a BlackBerry z10. Before that I used various BB's from OS4 up to OS 7.1, Loads of Motorola's (used to be my favourite and really loved my Razr all up to the Motorola MPX220 (Windows Phone)), and a Sony Ericsson at some point (beta testing the 3G network in the UK for Orange back then).

I'm not gonna go into why i prefer my phone brand response like some on here (they seem to have missed the point of the OP's question).

Moving on..

Even when I had the old Motorola's.. I delved into everything. I joined Moto Modders website and the like... tweaked, flashed, modded or whatever else you want to call it just so I could make my phone do things your phone could not and also realise the full potential of it.. especially because a lot of networks have the phone all bogged down with limitations for only God know what reason. In fact, it's one of my old Motorola Phones (i think the T720 that got me addicted to the led notification light even though you all seem to credit BlackBerry with the led light thing). Then I got the smartphone bug when i moved onto the MPX220... then back to the Rizr models then over to BlackBerry. Since BlackBerry... It's been total bliss. The ability to stay connected anywhere I am whether it's via call's, text, email, BBM, Whatsapp, Social networking, Pin messaging etc, etc, etc... I just can't imagine being without one. The ability to access files I need whether it's through the Cloud i.e. Box, Dropbox or direct to my home PC and Work PC via BlackBerry Link is way too handy. I'm not into games ( still got the first generation xbox ive used maybe only 10 times) however, the fact that they are at my disposal when I feel like i need to play something is an added bonus I can't hate on. I'm not into app's either as I only use those that benefit me i.e my social networking app's, maps and transport, messaging, Ebay, PayPal, Amazon, any flashlight app and a cloud storage and access app like PlayCloud (though DropBox and Box are built in but PlayCloud brings Google Drive and SkyDrive access too).. really don't have any use for anything else.

It's just the fact that I could be sitting at a freezing bus stop on a lonely winter weekend and get that nice text or BBM, whatsapp or video call from a friend or family (whatever app is used is irrelevant.. it's being able to do it that is key although I agree that having the choice of access to the apps is also very handy).

The fact that I can respond to personal and work emails or whatever communication type within seconds to a minute of it being sent from wherever.. at any time of the day. The fact that I can be underground (Tube) in London and receive or make a phone call thanks to UMA/Wifi Calling or be able to send emails or BBM's etc to work and friends from the tube if there are delays or whatever. Or in emergency situations like having a blow out and being stuck on the motorway but can whip out the phone and call the breakdown/emergency services and while away time watching Youtube, play a game or call someone else and just chat till help gets here.

A lot of you wanna talk about smoothness of an OS, it just works (tired Cliche as every OS just works), apps etc... but I think you guy's kinda missed the real point of a phone being MOBILE. It's that freedom to be anywhere and still have everything you need access to right there in your pocket that's the killer feature. I know app's are great but before the app boom.. we mostly still felt weird not having our phone and being able to reach people or be reached. That's the core reason why I'm obsessed with phones and incidentally, more so why I tend to choose BlackBerry even though they all can do the same in their own special way.
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 07-23-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Spelling correction again
    07-23-2013 08:18 AM