iPhone as your regular camera?

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
For the most part I have migrated as well. I have a mid to high range Nikon coolpix which I do love and is one of the best point and shoot cameras I have ever owned. However, one of my biggest gripes with regular cameras is that you have to upload them to the computer and then, if you want to upload them to a social site, you need to do that as well. On my phone, I snap and upload to Facebook. That same photo also instantly shows up on my PC via Dropbox and photo stream. It's also easier to share stuff in general on a mobile phone. The other problem with a regular camera is actually brining it with you. My camera isn't one of the thin attractive coolpix cameras, its thick and bulky and if I put it in my pockets it will just barely fit, especially in jeans. Before I got a galaxy s2 I didn't really have much choice. My old smartphones all sucked at picture taking. The galaxy s2 was the first good camera phone I've had. (Actually the only reason at the time that I chose it over the moto photon) camera quality is on the top of my list when it comes to smartphone shopping. I like taking pictures and saving memories as well as capturing an awesome sunset, or spontaneous moment. With my iPhone I now rarely use my Nikon. On vacations I bring it and usually have my girlfriend take pictures on that while I take them on my phone. That way I have both (in case the iPhone ones come out bad. In daylight still pictures there is almost no difference between my iPhone and my Nikon. At night the Nikon wins but some pictures aren't too far behind. (my Nikon is also 3 years old) my Nikon also shines at zooming (obviously) but I generally always do have my Nikon when I might need a zoom.

So for everyday pictures and even vacations I use my iPhone. In all honesty I use my iPhone for all events, but if I need pictures with better low light quality or zoom, I will also take pictures with the Nikon. The easy uploading to to both the PC and web as well as the ability to ALWAYS have it, make the iPhone camera an awesome choice. I hope the next iPhone continues to improve upon the camera. There are some pretty awesome settings my Nikon does to take photos in the dark, for instance, it takes five successive pictures (some with flash and others without) than it comprises them to make a well balanced picture that looks great! I'd love to see settings like that come to the iPhone as well as better low light support and maybe one day a Nokia quality camera (41mp with good imaging software could solve the optical zoom issue because who needs 41mp for anything else!

Last edited:

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Considering the high quality of the camera in the iPhone I'd have to say it's fine for the ever day user. Only professional or perhaps even amateur photographers would need a stand alone camera these days. :)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

aera

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If someone were to offer me $1,000 to find my point and shoot in my house. I wouldn't be capable, which kind of sucks actually cause at the time I paid about $300 for it. It was the latest and greatest nikon coolpix. Now its all iPhone all the time. The pictures might not be as crip and vibrant as the point and shoot I had, but it wasn't necessary carrying both all the time.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For the most part I have migrated as well. I have a mid to high range Nikon coolpix which I do love and is one of the best point and shoot cameras I have ever owned. However, one of my biggest gripes with regular cameras is that you have to upload them to the computer and then, if you want to upload them to a social site, you need to do that as well. On my phone, I snap and upload to Facebook. That same photo also instantly shows up on my PC via Dropbox and photo stream. It's also easier to share stuff in general on a mobile phone. The other problem with a regular camera is actually brining it with you. My camera isn't one of the thin attractive coolpix cameras, its thick and bulky and if I put it in my pockets it will just barely fit, especially in jeans. Before I got a galaxy s2 I didn't really have much choice. My old smartphones all sucked at picture taking. The galaxy s2 was the first good camera phone I've had. (Actually the only reason at the time that I chose it over the moto photon) camera quality is on the top of my list when it comes to smartphone shopping. I like taking pictures and saving memories as well as capturing an awesome sunset, or spontaneous moment. With my iPhone I now rarely use my Nikon. On vacations I bring it and usually have my girlfriend take pictures on that while I take them on my phone. That way I have both (in case the iPhone ones come out bad. In daylight still pictures there is almost no difference between my iPhone and my Nikon. At night the Nikon wins but some pictures aren't too far behind. (my Nikon is also 3 years old) my Nikon also shines at zooming (obviously) but I generally always do have my Nikon when I might need a zoom.

So for everyday pictures and even vacations I use my iPhone. In all honesty I use my iPhone for all events, but if I need pictures with better low light quality or zoom, I will also take pictures with the Nikon. The easy uploading to to both the PC and web as well as the ability to ALWAYS have it, make the iPhone camera an awesome choice. I hope the next iPhone continues to improve upon the camera. There are some pretty awesome settings my Nikon does to take photos in the dark, for instance, it takes five successive pictures (some with flash and others without) than it comprises them to make a well balanced picture that looks great! I'd love to see settings like that come to the iPhone as well as better low light support and maybe one day a Nokia quality camera (41mp with good imaging software could solve the optical zoom issue because who needs 41mp for anything else!

Wow because transferring the photos from the memory card to the computer is so inconvenient? The iPhone will never replace a point and shoot if you want to print pictures. Looking a on monitor, it's fine but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow because transferring the photos from the memory card to the computer is so inconvenient? The iPhone will never replace a point and shoot if you want to print pictures. Looking a on monitor, it's fine but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

When going on vacation and taking over a 1000 photos, its ni e to know they already at home on my PC. As a matter of fact, my family can even look at them before I get home. It's also easier to post them to Facebook while on a vacation. Using a memory card requires downloading to a PC then posting to Facebook, both of which can take a while. It's also not just about transferring things, its about having one less item to carry! Considering I have a pretty bulky camera I prefer not carrying it if I don't need to and my iPhone 5 has made that possible in many cases!

Depending on the point and shoot camera, the iPhone actually can be better. Mine is not but I also spent 300 dollars on it and its a well received Nikon. However not all cameras are as good. My girlfriend has a regular digital camera and her iphone takes way better pictures than the point and shoot. In some cases you are definitely right. However not in all cases. The iPhone camera is pretty decent and I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to image quality :)