I'm really beginning to appreciate how good a deal that nice white 5 was at $300. Here in the Chicago area, I cannot find anything seemingly legit for less than $400.
    RC28 and BLiNK like this.
    07-21-2013 08:29 PM
    Just meet in the police parking lot. I do that every time and only honest people will do it. Some seem relieved by it too.
    dannejanne likes this.
    07-24-2013 05:39 PM
    Just meet in the police parking lot. I do that every time and only honest people will do it. Some seem relieved by it too.
    someone suggested i do that too. good idea!
    07-25-2013 11:33 PM
    bye bye 4S! just sold it this evening
    Eileen89 likes this.
    07-25-2013 11:34 PM
    bye bye 4S! just sold it this evening
    That was fast. Glad you got is sold so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.
    07-26-2013 10:08 AM
    I do this too. Meet in the lobby actually. I approach the front desk every time and tell them why I am there. They are always really nice about it. I have had 2 guys dip out on me when I said where I wanted to meet. Everyone else has been great. As of lately though I have been experiencing low ballers who show up, check out whatever I am selling and then plead their case why they want to pay less. I immediately walk away. If I make it clear before we meet that I am firm on my price and won't budge then I have no time for their nonsense. Again, the last 3 sales I experienced this. *scratches head*
    07-29-2013 10:55 AM
    the ad read as follows:

White iPhone 5 at&t 16gb $350 OBO. only 3 weeks old!
    Always a good idea before you buy something second hand to check if it is stolen or lost in the police or faster way to check online
    Worldwide register of lost and stolen property - Stolen Register
    Last edited by DeyanStoinov; 08-01-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    08-01-2013 03:10 AM
    We used to have contests at work to see who could find the most outlandish technology ads on Craigslist and Kijiji. Someone would always track down that one crazy who thought his 1996 compaq presario was actually worth as much as he paid for it 15 years prior.

I hate shopping for technology on those free to post ad sites.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    08-01-2013 11:45 AM
    That why there is eBay.
    08-01-2013 05:18 PM
    Just read in the rants and raves section yesterday about a guy who met up with someone to sell this a Nexus 4. The guy was robbed. The man asked to check the phone out and as he did some guy pulled up in a truck and the guy jumped in the truck bed with the guys phone and sped off. Sad.
    08-01-2013 05:20 PM
    Holy Crap really? Not doing anymore deals on Craigslist or Kijiji.. Ebay only.
    08-01-2013 05:22 PM
    Holy Crap really? Not doing anymore deals on Craigslist or Kijiji.. Ebay only.
    Makes me nervous too but I have a good system that I posted earlier. I ALWAYS meet in the lobby of my local PD and most everyone I have sold to has been totally fine with it. There have been a couple of times over the past few years (prior to my PD rule) that I met at a Starbucks or something like that I got a really bad vibe from the buyer. Walked right off. You have to be careful and be aware of your surroundings. I feel bad about the guy that I read about and hope the thief gets what is coming to him.
    08-01-2013 05:26 PM
    Yes true.. always meet in public areas.. But i prefer eBay as its payed through paypal and you ship the item and its done.
    08-01-2013 05:31 PM
    Yes true.. always meet in public areas.. But i prefer eBay as its payed through paypal and you ship the item and its done.
    I got burned by Paypal in the past and won't use them ever again. Too bad because I really like eBay.
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
    08-01-2013 05:38 PM
    How did you get burned by Paypal? Aslong you send the items that worth alot with signature and tracking theres no worries.
    08-01-2013 05:40 PM
    How did you get burned by Paypal? Aslong you send the items that worth alot with signature and tracking theres no worries.
    For a long time paypal was known to protect buyers and burn sellers. From what I gather it has improved but I will never give them my business. I also had my identity stolen a couple of years back and the person opened up a fraudulent paypal account under my name and eventually abandoned it with a high negative balance. PayPal still refuses to fix it and says I am liable for the balance... This I am still working on. That's my only contact with them.
    08-01-2013 05:59 PM
    Wow i feel bad for you.. Hope you get it resolved and dont have to pay..
    08-01-2013 06:01 PM
    Craigslist has always been shady to me, but it does seem that it's getting worse as time goes on.

A good friend of mine was scammed on a CL purchase a few months ago. She replied to an ad about an iPhone 4S and ended up meeting the guy to make the purchase. Everything appeared to go well until she brought it into a Verizon to activate it when she realized it was a Jailbroken iPhone 4, not a 4S. Apparently she checked to see if it had Siri, as this was the only way she knew to tell the difference between the 4 and 4S. Being jailbroken, it had Siri hacked onto the device, so for someone in her position, it was almost impossible for her to tell the difference until it was too late.

Needless to say, I told her if she's ever gonna do something like this again, she needs to let me know and I'll go with her. Lol.
    08-03-2013 08:39 AM
    A guy I work with just sold his phone on craigslist and five minutes later reported it stolen so he could get a new phone for the deductible. He's generally a nice guy but in his mid 20's and thinks he knows everything about how the world works.
    08-03-2013 08:47 AM
    A guy I work with just sold his phone on craigslist and five minutes later reported it stolen so he could get a new phone for the deductible. He's generally a nice guy but in his mid 20's and thinks he knows everything about how the world works.
    Wow, really? Excuse my language but that's a d*** move.
    08-03-2013 08:50 AM
    Wow, really? Excuse my language but that's a d*** move.
    Yep. Definitely lost all respect for this guy.
    08-03-2013 09:05 AM
    This is exactly the reason why I would never purchase a used phone without documented proof of the transaction.
    08-03-2013 09:49 AM
    I'll still buy stuff like lawn chairs, jack stands, anything mechanical or fixed that I can evaluate on the spot. Nothing electronic......
    Chris Kerrigan likes this.
    08-03-2013 09:55 AM
    Wow, I have sold and traded 8 or 10 phones, all off of craigslist. Only one time did I have an issue, but it ended up working out. After reading some of these stories about what COULD happen, I'm a little leery. I have always met at the verizon store to make sure phone will activate successfully. But I guess that doesn't guarantee anything either if someone can then report it stolen.
    08-03-2013 02:46 PM
    I'm new to selling an iPhone on Craigslist. My question is that if I give someone my paypal and they send me money and it clears, how am I being scammed? How do I make sure the money is good before I send the phone? Thanks
    02-13-2015 01:47 PM
75 123