Alarm clock with date setting ability

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Apple's default alarm clock that works well, but need one that has an ability to set a date.
I need an independent app (not a calendar setting). I have been using "Alarm Clock" for BlackBerry that is ideal.
It can set date, can skip next occurrence etc., and generally very configurable but the developer (Bulbera) does
not seem to be offering it for an iPhone. I Googled and searched this site, but so far no luck (so many wake-up alarm clocks).
Can anyone suggest a good one?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How about using the iPhone's Reminder App. It does exactly what you're asking, in my opinion.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
How about using the iPhone's Reminder App. It does exactly what you're asking, in my opinion.

Thank you. Didn't think of it. I generally do not set alarms on calendar etc, and always wanted an independent alarm.
I do not want to crowd the reminder with all sorts of misc things such as private/family matters or even some TV programs etc, lol.
Independent alarm clock is always useful Apple's alarm has some ability to set date (day of the week etc) but limited.
I will certainly explore more efficient use of Reminder, which I use generally for my biz.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I of course searched the App Store, but it appears most are wake alarm, or no independent date setting ability (all look fancy though :).
I just need a simple, no-nonsense biz-like alarm with ability to set it for any date.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What exactly are you trying to do? What is this random alarm on some random date at some random time going to do for you?

Is it really as simple as an example; I want to set an alarm to go off on July 27th at 10:30am?

I wouldn't trust a third party app. The reminders app is probably the best option.

But I'm having a hard time even trying to suggest an alternative because I'm not sure what you are trying to get done.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. Didn't think of it. I generally do not set alarms on calendar etc, and always wanted an independent alarm.
I do not want to crowd the reminder with all sorts of misc things such as private/family matters or even some TV programs etc, lol.
Independent alarm clock is always useful Apple's alarm has some ability to set date (day of the week etc) but limited.
I will certainly explore more efficient use of Reminder, which I use generally for my biz.

The Reminders app does give you the option of creating lists. If not the native reminder app, how about a 3rd party reminder/To-Do app like Any.Do? With it you can set specific dates and times as well as see your today, tomorrow and upcoming events/Projects/To-Do's. I, too, have searched the App Store for an appropriate alarm clock for you, but I still believe that your best bet is using a reminder/to-do app like the ones mentioned above.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
What exactly are you trying to do? What is this random alarm on some random date at some random time going to do for you?
Is it really as simple as an example; I want to set an alarm to go off on July 27th at 10:30am?
I wouldn't trust a third party app. The reminders app is probably the best option.
But I'm having a hard time even trying to suggest an alternative because I'm not sure what you are trying to get done.

Yes, July 27th at 10:30am, in a nut shell :). However, the reason is actually more than that.
I can just as well set those alarms on my calendar, which is probably more appropriate for the purpose. But I just do not like to do so (besides, I have to make sure that it won't sync with all other Apple devices I have (desktop, laptop, iPad etc).
I just need a simple and "stand-alone little app for the dedicated purpose of setting alarms for multitude of misc stuff on the fly, and I do not want contaminate calendar and reminder with those.
I have been a Mac user for over a quarter centuries and using the iPhone since its inception. In the last few years, I was flirting with BB,s just for simple, convenient and biz-like functions for about 80% of what I do with a smartphone. I am now slowly coming back to the iPhone for a single device solution (I never left it, just using it as a supplement to the Bold 9900), and found certain apps are more convenient in BB, and an alarm clock was one of them. I won't exclude apps simply because they are 3rd party ones. But, thank you for the suggestion.

The Reminders app does give you the option of creating lists. If not the native reminder app, how about a 3rd party reminder/To-Do app like Any.Do? With it you can set specific dates and times as well as see your today, tomorrow and upcoming events/Projects/To-Do's. I, too, have searched the App Store for an appropriate alarm clock for you, but I still believe that your best bet is using a reminder/to-do app like the ones mentioned above.

I use the phone mostly for the business, and have a few other non-native PIM apps over the years. In a To Do or task list area, I used ToodleDo and Remember the Milk and all that, but with Reminders showed up (still not a matured app though), I consolidated all of them into it (mainly because the sync with Calendar etc are easier, i.e., I have been deep into the Mac eco system over the years :). Nevertheless, I found a dedicated and stand-alone alarm clock app with less bells and whistles was so much more useful. In the case of BB, I just called up the app with one key press, set and alarm and forget it. There must be something like that in the App Store, but so far, it's filled with confusing array of apps, and just thought somebody might have an experience with a particular app, rather than going through reviews of each apps one by one.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for using up the bandwidth, but another thing I thought about was...
Checking through the App Store, it appears that many of them use the Apple's native alarm clock for setting time (for UI).
I could be wrong, but if so, is this not because the alarm clock function requires to be "headless", i.e., lurking in the background, which Apple is not
allowing developers yet (understand that this requirement is somewhat loosened in the iOS7). In Apple's alarm clock, the way to set date is
use the day of a week (i.e., every Thursday etc), which is not a true date setting if I need to set alarm beyond a week.

joeye333

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I use Yocto Clock which is nice but the only draw back with this and any other 3rd part app is that you have to leave it running in the background, the Do Not Disturb feature will not work though since the phone has to be set to not lock within the app. The Do Not Disturb feature will only work if the screen locks.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
After some struggling to find an alarm app with a small foot print, it was actually surprisingly difficult to find in the App Store.
However, thanks to JustMe'D, sting7k and others, I am warming up to the idea of using the Reminder app after all. Initially, I did not want to "contaminate" the Reminder, that is presently set up mostly business, with misc and real mundane things like picking up my wife, dentist appt, or even TV programs etc. But the app is actually setup for that, and at least for now, I am getting used to using Reminder. Thanks,

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After some struggling to find an alarm app with a small foot print, it was actually surprisingly difficult to find in the App Store.
However, thanks to JustMe'D, sting7k and others, I am warming up to the idea of using the Reminder app after all. Initially, I did not want to "contaminate" the Reminder, that is presently set up mostly business, with misc and real mundane things like picking up my wife, dentist appt, or even TV programs etc. But the app is actually setup for that, and at least for now, I am getting used to using Reminder. Thanks,

Outstanding, and we are glad to have offered our suggestions...:)...Thank you for the update and enjoy the rest of your evening...:)

ddsmak

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I too having a tough time to find an alarm clock app that let me set by date, menaing over 24 hours.
iPhone's own Calendar or Reminders didn't work for me, because the notification was only a chime. I need it to be like an alarm that continue to ring until I snooze it.

Whoever said "There's an app for it" is totally wrong. ;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I too having a tough time to find an alarm clock app that let me set by date, menaing over 24 hours.
iPhone's own Calendar or Reminders didn't work for me, because the notification was only a chime. I need it to be like an alarm that continue to ring until I snooze it.

Whoever said "There's an app for it" is totally wrong. ;)

You can change the alert sound from the chime to something louder in both the calendar and Reminders apps. You can also set them to show a pop up on the screen.

ddsmak

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion with a louder chime.
But that's not what I need. I needed to be a continuous alarm sound until I snooze it or terminate it, like a typical alarm clock app but allow me to set by dates, not only 24 hours.

ddsmak

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I use RedClock - it's a "night stand" app - displaying a clock without "sleeping" while plugged in. It has a nice alarm feature. There's also WorkTime, which is similar, but also displays your upcoming calendar events.
Thanks for suggesting RedClock. I downloaded the free version to try.
The free version is exactly like a typical alarm clock that let you set alarm as far as 24 hours.
I need something that let me set by date with continuous alarm sound, not just a simple ding or chime.
I would have thought this is an easy fine. :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for suggesting RedClock. I downloaded the free version to try.
The free version is exactly like a typical alarm clock that let you set alarm as far as 24 hours.
I need something that let me set by date with continuous alarm sound, not just a simple ding or chime.
I would have thought this is an easy fine. :)

What other Alarm Clock apps have you tried?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I searched the app store, tried out a dozen alarm clock apps, but can't seem to find one that let one set by date. Calendar or Reminders, or todo apps only offers out a quick short sound.

I use the stock clock app for several alarms. It's continuous and loud.