How does the white iPhone hold up if you don't use a case?

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have googled for the last few days looking for pictures or articles/posts about how the white 5 looks after several months caseless. I really, really want to go caseless with the phone, I don't generally drop my phones , and I know the white doesn't show damage like the black, but all the postings I can find about wear and tear seem to only be about the black phones. I found one in regards to the white and dude had dropped it so it had more than just wear and tear.

Does anyone have a white 5 that has been naked for the last few months and has been handled somewhat carefully that can give me an idea of discolouration, finish, how it's holding up?

I googled and binged and I gave up finding something I'd hoped was helpful and have it turn out to be about the black one. I don't care about the black one. It's why I didn't get the black one. Heh.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I have had my white iPhone 5 for about 3 months now, and I too have gone completely caseless. I hate the feel of cases and I'd much rather go naked, it just feels more natural (no pun intended).

With that being said, I have experienced some minor wear and tear. It's never been dropped, but there is a scratch on the left side aluminum strip just below the volume buttons. I also have some small chipping on the silver band that runs around the edges of the phone, located just below the headphone jack. There's also a couple of very minor scratches on the Apple logo on the back (those are probably the most noticeable out of everything).

So far, it's all very, very minor and stuff that doesn't really bother me, but it is cause for a little concern. I never had this issue with my 4 or my 4S until I actually dropped them. I don't have my camera available at the moment, but later today I'll try and post a few photos for you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My white iP5 has been about 50% case-less and 50% in case since I got it...this is a replacement I received earlier this year (because of a faulty power button), but the previous one had about the same treatment. No discoloration or anything, it's in flawless condition (glass and frame).

Now watch...I'll drop the damn thing today and shatter it or something, lol!

aera

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My brother has a white 5 and I have a black 5 we both grabbed them on release day. He works construction and I work in an office. My black that was even replaced around late December, early January looks like it has been to hell and back. The black paint isn't holding up well at all. I've not dropped it or anything mainly goes from my pocket to the desk or pocket to the cup holder in my car. Now his looks like he just unboxed it this morning, which I thought was surprising since he works in the construction industry. We both use our devices about the same his is in and out of his pocket all day on construction sites calling contractors and supply centers.

I even teased him a little while we were picking them up with a little "I cant believe you're getting a white one working on construction sites, that thing is going to look like crap in a month."

Boy was I wrong

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! I am usually a case ***** (I had a case for my iPhone 4 cases) but this phone is so pretty...I have a white Moshi iGlaze and a Speck Fabshell but I keep taking it out of the case to look at it. Heh.

And now I'm taking it out to start just enjoying the phone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It has an amazing form...and it's so light it's insane. If I wasn't on my feet or dealing with people physically in my job, I'd probably use it with no case.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Why not just get Zagg to cover it? This is what I'm contemplating for my next iPhone. I usually put my iPhones in cases from day one either Lifeproof or Otterbox. So when I get the new one the old one looks like I just took it out of the box. The problem is that means nothing by then, I always skip a model before getting a new one, because the resale value is what it is. No one is going to give me more money just because it is almost brand new. At over a year there's no warranty so I'm like what is the point of buy a $100 case. The next one I'm going to cover it in Zagg and get Applecare.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I loathe Zagg, iShieldz, all those protectors. Hate them. They feel sticky, look awful, discolour...I don't resale my iPhones though. I keep them as media players.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have not resold one yet, so that part doesn't play into it for me. My white iPhone 5 has been caseless for a few months. The shiny apple logo on the back is quite scratched on the surface, but the edges have the deeper nicks and scratches. They can't really be noticed from 2 feet away though since the scratches are the same color as the metal. I worried a little about the scratches at first, bit it doesn't bother me as long as the screen is ok. My phone has taken a couple of tumbles also.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys! I am usually a case ***** (I had a case for my iPhone 4 cases) but this phone is so pretty...I have a white Moshi iGlaze and a Speck Fabshell but I keep taking it out of the case to look at it. Heh.

And now I'm taking it out to start just enjoying the phone.

You're killing me.....you know that.....you're killing me talking about that beautiful phone.....

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have several deep nicks around the edges and some minor scratching on the back of mine. It's been in an Otterbox Defender since I got it in October. I'm sure it would be in better condition had I not used a case at all. That said, for the debris floating around in my case causing large marks on the edges not to scratch the rest of the phone significantly should say a lot about the durability of the white iP5.

andykan

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been on my white iPhone 5 for almost a year without a case. The phone won't show scratches and scuffs at all. Not unless you drop it. Even the anodized back which is thought to be prone to scratches is still in perfect condition. The phone won't take drops lightly though, holes and dents shows up easily on the back..

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Black iPhone 5 since launch. I have never experienced the chipping and scratching some seem to have experienced. It is perfect!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think it'll be fine without a case but at this point I use a snap on the back case for the added grip ONLY! This thing is friggin slippery.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a pretty minimalist case if anybody is interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373734956.500723.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373734956.500723.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 178
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373734971.860656.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373734971.860656.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 371
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373734978.651334.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373734978.651334.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 370

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
*duplicate*

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373735334.135763.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373735334.135763.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 371
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373735345.512698.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373735345.512698.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It holds up just like any other phone without a case. It gets scratched, the glass chips and possibly shatters, it easily takes on damage. If you're fine with all that, go ahead and go without a case. Otherwise, put it in a good case like an Otterbox, and you'll never need to worry about how the phone holds up.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It holds up just like any other phone without a case. It gets scratched, the glass chips and possibly shatters, it easily takes on damage. If you're fine with all that, go ahead and go without a case. Otherwise, put it in a good case like an Otterbox, and you'll never need to worry about how the phone holds up.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

I will never put an otterbox on any of my phones.

Ew.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh