What changes need to be made when traveling internationally with iPhone 5 and using a local SIM card? Is there a setting, or do I have to manually put in a +1 before every contact number from USA so I can call them back in USA, or is there a setting that needs to be changed? My phone plan in country I am visiting includes unlimited international calls to USA.
    07-04-2013 10:07 PM
    Assuming you have a GSM (AT&T) iPhone 5, just make sure you have Dial Assist on in your Phone settings. Not sure if this setting is available in the VZW version or not (it used to be very different).
    07-04-2013 11:04 PM
    To the OP - if you have a GSM iPhone 5, it is unlocked, correct?

Just checking.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk
    07-04-2013 11:20 PM
    Assuming you have a GSM (AT&T) iPhone 5, just make sure you have Dial Assist on in your Phone settings. Not sure if this setting is available in the VZW version or not (it used to be very different).
    It's an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5 unlocked for international, and with overseas sim chip in it for calling plan in Israel. It was used in USA until this past Sunday without any problems.
    But contacts were setup in USA without country code before travel
    07-05-2013 12:53 PM
    So do you have the Dial Assist option in your Phone settings? If so, that's all you need - it will automatically detect country code.
    estroh likes this.
    07-05-2013 03:29 PM
    So do you have the Dial Assist option in your Phone settings? If so, that's all you need - it will automatically detect country code.
    It's there in phone settings. I will tell my son to turn it on. Do my contacts have to have country in it? I don't think he put in United States or other countries
    07-05-2013 05:36 PM
    On the VZW iPhone5 dial assist is under Settings>> Phone - a simple on/off toggle.
    07-05-2013 05:47 PM
    It's there in phone settings. I will tell my son to turn it on. Do my contacts have to have country in it? I don't think he put in United States or other countries
    ​No, your contacts don't have to have the country code. That's the whole point of it auto detecting that.
    estroh likes this.
    07-05-2013 10:53 PM
    ​No, your contacts don't have to have the country code. That's the whole point of it auto detecting that.
    Working great, thanks
    07-15-2013 06:47 AM