iPhone 5 Charging Problem - Solved

jatb

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have spent some time dealing with a charging issue on my iPhone 5. I researched it and never found a solution that worked for me. I did, however, easily resolve the problem, so I thought I would share.

Problem: When connecting the iPhone 5 to charge or sync via a lightning cable, I would have to push really hard and, only sometimes, would it stay connected. This caused me to deal with the occasional flat battery in the morning as well as issues connecting to my computer.

Solution: Take a paperclip and clean the built-up lint from inside where the cable connects on the iPhone. The lint appears to limit how far the lighting connector is inserted. Once clear, I had no more problems charging / connecting my phone.

Hopefully this helps someone :)

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You might want to try something a little less damaging than a paperclip - like a wooden cuticle stick, or even a toothpick.

jatb

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I used an insulated paper clip :). Compressed air was not effective as the lint, after being jammed in by the lightning connector, was a touch dense.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Dude! You might want to try washing your pants instead. I haven't had to clean out my connectors in the year+ that I've had my iPhone 5. I'd have to go to my dryer to find that much lint.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Dude! You might want to try washing your pants instead. I haven't had to clean out my connectors in the year+ that I've had my iPhone 5. I'd have to go to my dryer to find that much lint.

I think it depends, though. I have had to use compressed air once to clean some dust and other crap that had built up inside the lightning port (although I wasn't having problems with it charging, it was just bothering me). I know the pants that I have to wear for work create some fiber build-up on anything that is in the pockets, regardless of how I clean them or how often I clean them.

Been considering getting a belt clip for my iP5 for that exact reason, actually.

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I thought that was a joke or put down until I read the thread. Lol

Anamika Saxena

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi ! I too encountered charger getting plugged into any socket either in India and also when i went to UK. The pins of charger plug are so thin that it doesnt get into any socket. I replaced the plug /data cable of i5 with plugin of Samsung phone ( my previous phone) and got releived.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi ! I too encountered charger getting plugged into any socket either in India and also when i went to UK. The pins of charger plug are so thin that it doesnt get into any socket. I replaced the plug /data cable of i5 with plugin of Samsung phone ( my previous phone) and got releived.

I'm sorry. I'm not quite understanding you. Are you saying that the actual 'plug-in' part by Samsung worked in lieu of the plug-in part that came with your iPhone 5? If so, great. Whatever works, right?...:)

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have spent some time dealing with a charging issue on my iPhone 5. I researched it and never found a solution that worked for me. I did, however, easily resolve the problem, so I thought I would share.

Problem: When connecting the iPhone 5 to charge or sync via a lightning cable, I would have to push really hard and, only sometimes, would it stay connected. This caused me to deal with the occasional flat battery in the morning as well as issues connecting to my computer.

Solution: Take a paperclip and clean the built-up lint from inside where the cable connects on the iPhone. The lint appears to limit how far the lighting connector is inserted. Once clear, I had no more problems charging / connecting my phone.

Hopefully this helps someone :)

How does Lint get there in the 1st place???

Gure Baswant

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I never dropped my iPhone and suddenly one day my iphone stop charging unless and until i hold the charging part of the charger(i.e. the white part manually with my hand). If i disturb the position my phone stops charging. Its like i need to keep the charging pin in one particular position else it does not charge. I cleaned it with a toothpick , there was quite alot of dust inside. But still it is not charging properly, looks like some loose connection inside but when tried to look at it perfectly everything was looking fine. And how come suddenly such a problem. Please help me with this issue

bardakul

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Unconscious converter charging cables adversity makes you I think. Because this type of electronic devices as the power supply system unknown properties can be found in the.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I never dropped my iPhone and suddenly one day my iphone stop charging unless and until i hold the charging part of the charger(i.e. the white part manually with my hand). If i disturb the position my phone stops charging. Its like i need to keep the charging pin in one particular position else it does not charge. I cleaned it with a toothpick , there was quite alot of dust inside. But still it is not charging properly, looks like some loose connection inside but when tried to look at it perfectly everything was looking fine. And how come suddenly such a problem. Please help me with this issue

It is possible that you have either a bad cable or defective charging port. If I were you, I'd do two things: 1) Try a different cable 2) If the same occurs with the different cable, make a Genius Bar appointment with a nearby Apple Store.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unconscious converter charging cables adversity makes you I think. Because this type of electronic devices as the power supply system unknown properties can be found in the.

Huh? I'm not quite understanding your reply. Could you please clarify?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Men washing our pants. Sounds like a lot of work :)

Well with that said I believe you and I use a water proof case that has a charging door that keeps the lint out of the charging port so we avoid the build up. My only issue is I do get build up on my speaker membranes which I need to blow out sometimes for call quality

Sent from my iPhone 5

biff_malibu20

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello good sir!

My phone had never had a problem charging. Tonight, just before it was gonna die I put it not he charger. Nothing happened. I drove to work to get a different charger (at 2 am) thinking that was the problem. Nope. I read 15 threads of idiots with dumb problems that had nothing to do with mine and were no help. I came across yours which made sense. I got a toothpick and BOOM out comes a FAT piece of lint (I had just washed my work pants I wore today and a receipt got destroyed in the pocket. Problem solved. I was SOOOO PISSED before I came across your thread. I dropped my phone about a month ago and chipped a small piece in the back and I knew apple was gonna use that as an excuse not to replace the phone.

Anyway, the moral of my note to you is THANK YOU for taking the time to post this. I can now sleep peacefully knowing my phonies fine AND i don't have to drive 15 miles to an apple store for that. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Sincerely

Justin

sbeck401

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! This literally happened to me the exact same way. I was about to take it into the store to have it checked until I read your message. This completely fixed my phone in 2 minutes!

Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW