I'm thinking about deleting my texting plan. A lot of my friends have iPhones so the messages are sent over iMessage. And I can use Google Voice of What'sApp for texting to others.

If you've done this, does it work pretty good or is it a PITA to have to switch between programs? I'm wondering if it's worth the $20.00 savings per month.
    06-28-2013 10:04 PM
    I'm thinking about deleting my texting plan. A lot of my friends have iPhones so the messages are sent over iMessage. And I can use Google Voice of What'sApp for texting to others.

If you've done this, does it work pretty good or is it a PITA to have to switch between programs? I'm wondering if it's worth the $20.00 savings per month.
    I have not done this... but wondering out loud here... since the "fallback" for iMessage failure is SMS texting, you could incur some unexpected charges if it happens enough. It might be tough to generate $20 worth, but it is something to consider...
    06-28-2013 10:08 PM
    I wondered that too. I can cancel and block SMS texting through AT&T so it won't be possible to send or receive them.
    06-28-2013 10:09 PM
    I wondered that too. I can cancel and block SMS texting through AT&T so it won't be possible to send or receive them.
    Sounds awful limiting to me...I'd like to be able to send messages when iMessage is having issues (which has happened numerous times).

Looking at my plan, the amount saved really wouldn't justify the limiting factor of not having access to SMS/MMS, or the overages in case you used a fair amount of them. Most people I know also use iMessage as well, but looking through even some of the iMessage convo's, there are many SMS messages where either the network was acting up or I was in a bad cellular range.
    06-28-2013 10:12 PM
    Sounds awful limiting to me...I'd like to be able to send messages when iMessage is having issues (which has happened numerous times).

Looking at my plan, the amount saved really wouldn't justify the limiting factor of not having access to SMS/MMS, or the overages in case you used a fair amount of them. Most people I know also use iMessage as well, but looking through even some of the iMessage convo's, there are many SMS messages where either the network was acting up or I was in a bad cellular range.
    It wouldn’t be a viable option for me... I’m paying $30 for unlimited texting on a 5-line family plan. Friends and family are on various android phones as well as iOS devices... one of the lines is my son-in-law who has his own business and send/receives a LOT of SMS messages... as a family we exceed 5,000 messages each month... a single iMessage outage could do some real damage at $0.20 per message...
    06-28-2013 10:18 PM
    The per message fees on text messages is the biggest rip-off ever... if "regular data" were biled at a similar rate, 1 megabyte of data would be in excess of $1000... per megabyte.
    Dryland and Chris Kerrigan like this.
    06-28-2013 10:23 PM
    My SMS messages over the last 6 months have ranged from 238 to 656. I can try it for a month and then go by to the regular plan if it isn't working out.

But... as some have pointed out, iMessage goes down sometimes. So those end up being SMS messages. I just never notice them. I just know that they go through. So without SMS, they won't go through unless I cut and paste to Google Voice texting. I use this number/program for sales. Haven't had any problems yet.
    06-28-2013 10:36 PM
    The per message fees on text messages is the biggest rip-off ever... if "regular data" were biled at a similar rate, 1 megabyte of data would be in excess of $1000... per megabyte.
    Yeah. $0.20/message is outrageous... but so is AT&T's new $0.61/line "fee"... it’s all ridiculous and maddening... but there’s no way to avoid getting ripped off.
    06-28-2013 10:40 PM
    Nope I pay $30 a month for 100 mins, unlimited text, 5GB LTE/4G data from tmobile
    06-29-2013 12:44 AM
    Although I have a lot of friends and family who have iPhone's, the reality is I do a lot of texting, and there are still a handful of people I know who have an Android device (I don't think I know anybody with a BlackBerry/Windows Phone). It just wouldn't be worth it for me personally.
    06-29-2013 07:40 AM
    Maybe this is something that I should just leave alone because it could end up being more of an inconvenience than savings. My sister uses WhatApp. I keep that program on my main screen in case she sends me a message but I wouldn't want people to have to use a different program to communicate with me.
    06-29-2013 08:27 AM
    Although I have a lot of friends and family who have iPhone's, the reality is I do a lot of texting, and there are still a handful of people I know who have an Android device (I don't think I know anybody with a BlackBerry/Windows Phone). It just wouldn't be worth it for me personally.
    I'm noticing lots of my contacts are getting Viber instead. However, when you need it most and data isn't good (like camp) texting goes through when email and data doesn't.
    06-30-2013 01:00 PM
    I'm noticing lots of my contacts are getting Viber instead. However, when you need it most and data isn't good (like camp) texting goes through when email and data doesn't.
    Because text messages aka SMS Is sent via the cell phone's control channel connection with the cell tower...
    06-30-2013 01:12 PM
    Yeah. $0.20/message is outrageous... but so is AT&T's new $0.61/line "fee"... its all ridiculous and maddening... but theres no way to avoid getting ripped off.
    Actually, there is one way. I keep wondering how much better off I would be if I tossed my phone into the lake and offered my neighbor $20 a month for his wifi password and also do away with cable and Internet.

I have five phones on my plan, mines the only smartphone. Even with a corporate discount, I am just over $150 month on AT&T. $30 a month for family texting is outrageous. Too bad TMobiles network is not larger.
    06-30-2013 02:08 PM
    I have five phones on my plan, mines the only smartphone. Even with a corporate discount, I am just over $150 month on AT&T. $30 a month for family texting is outrageous. Too bad TMobiles network is not larger.
    I’ve never said that the fees for unlimited texting AREN’T outrageous... but in my situation, not having a plan would be downright foolish. But, yeah, it’s one of many "money grabs" brought to us by our local wireless service providers... next question: what can you do?
    06-30-2013 02:26 PM
    I’ve never said that the fees for unlimited texting AREN’T outrageous... but in my situation, not having a plan would be downright foolish. But, yeah, it’s one of many "money grabs" brought to us by our local wireless service providers... next question: what can you do?
    It's not just the cost of texting that has me bent sideways. When my phone is off of contract, why can't I get a reduced rate ? I can't can texting because of the dumb phones on my plan.

I use Voxer on both my iPad and phone. Voice, text and pictures. It does work internationally. It's how my son and I (he's in Singapore) communicate. Textie is also a fairly decent app. Send and receive text from iPad to any cellphone. (I haven't tried sending international texts with it ). Recipient does not need Textie installed on their phone.
    06-30-2013 03:46 PM
    19 NZ dollars gets me unlimited texts 500mb data(tethering is included in all our data plans,we don't pay extra for that) and 50 mins call time. We dont get double dipped either so no it isn't outrageous pricing.

Man the US carriers make a **** tonne of you guys.DO SOMETHING, boycott them whatever but you guys are probably one of the few countries that get ripped of so bad.
    06-30-2013 06:01 PM