I just don?t get the Samsung Galaxy S4, well I did get it but I returned it in just a few days.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how/why people call S4 latest and greatest. ( I get the latest part and yes I am being serious). It's not just this thread, but in others also, people mention all the features, and then in the end shut them off. So they are left with a thin plastic Android device. They keep them in their pocket ( instead of a holster or pouch) and then get surprised when their screen is cracked. They also only have 9 Gb of storage free.

In reference to the HTC One, which doesn't have a home button, has dual front speakers, Beats audio, 32 or 64Gb of storage (no need to manage SD cards) , and great battery life. Its aluminum construction is less prone to flex.

Is a five inch screen really that much better than a 4.7" ? Is the same CPU, overclocked by 200 MHz that much faster ?

Seriously, what gives ?
Well the GS4 is no different than the iPhone 5 in that they are both great devices with one having more features than the other.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... I think the OP has some super battery life because I don't get close to that even with the brightness down.

I'm guessing WhatsApp is the cause.
Are you saying that "WhatsApp" is the reason for poor battery life? I use this App to communicate with friends who use Android devices and the battery life on my iPhone 5 is amazing. I can easily get 8 hours of usage before needing a charge.

Bob Griffiths

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I guess to each his own ....

I switched to an iPhone 5 in late March at the urging of my children and grand children...and to be frank...I DO NOT LIKE the darn thing..
Although I am 70 years old I consider this an old mans phone... I can't "hot rod" ... customize to meet my own needs nearly as easy as I could my original HTC EVO 4 G ..

Battery life is not great heck I have to use my Morphie Air Pack every day in the early evening ...I have absolutely no games on the phone....but I do read a lot on the phone.(no e-mail because I can't find a good app that allows me to delete 100 messages with 1 or 2 taps...) ...

Not a complaint in the world about its build quality...but honestly its the Oldsmobile of phones or maybe a Buick ...I prefer Corvettes (and Porches !!!!)

Bob G

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have both Iphone 5 and S4. They are both great phones but I like my S4 just a little bit more. My S4 batterylife i better than the IPhone batterylife, I have more battery left on my S4 in the evening after a days work. I have no problem keeping my S4 running for a hole day.

Tapatalked

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I switched to an iPhone 5 in late March at the urging of my children and grand children...and to be frank...I DO NOT LIKE the darn thing..
Although I am 70 years old I consider this an old mans phone... I can't "hot rod" ... customize to meet my own needs nearly as easy as I could my original HTC EVO 4 G ..

Battery life is not great heck I have to use my Morphie Air Pack every day in the early evening ...I have absolutely no games on the phone....but I do read a lot on the phone.(no e-mail because I can't find a good app that allows me to delete 100 messages with 1 or 2 taps...) ...

Not a complaint in the world about its build quality...but honestly its the Oldsmobile of phones or maybe a Buick ...I prefer Corvettes (and Porches !!!!)

Bob G
You can't be serious....
I have a Nexus 4 but the iPhone isn't that much less functional then Android.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I could almost see myself switch to the GS4 just do the camera features. I was impressed messing around with one with the camera and the features like multi shots and face choices. The screen size is perfect and that also makes the keyboard easier to use for me. What kept me on the iPhone was that it simply works more reliability and has more straight forward setup and functionality. I am also an iTunes user for media, and nothing syncs like the iPhone. I have never had a phone switch or backup be easier and more reliable either. All in all, it is about usability and consistency for me. I hope Apple ups the screen size in the next year and adds some of the GS4 camera features. I won't hold my breath on screen size.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Well the GS4 is no different than the iPhone 5 in that they are both great devices with one having more features than the other.

See, that's it. How is the S4 a great device ? People complain of lag, pulling the phone out of their pocket and noticing the screen is cracked, only having 9 gigs of storage free, not liking Touch Wiz, gimmicky features that don't always work, screen that's not all that great outdoors, and on and on...

Removable battery ? Of all the phones I have had, I've never bought an extra battery and its something extra to carry. Removable SD card ? I've got a 32 gig phone, so it's nice not having to manage SD cards. I also have no desire to carry almost a TB of digital media with me at all times. So it doesn't sound all that great to me, so what gives ? Did they sign a deal with the devil or something ?

shoii

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
See, that's it. How is the S4 a great device ? People complain of lag, pulling the phone out of their pocket and noticing the screen is cracked, only having 9 gigs of storage free, not liking Touch Wiz, gimmicky features that don't always work, screen that's not all that great outdoors, and on and on...

Removable battery ? Of all the phones I have had, I've never bought an extra battery and its something extra to carry. Removable SD card ? I've got a 32 gig phone, so it's nice not having to manage SD cards. I also have no desire to carry almost a TB of digital media with me at all times. So it doesn't sound all that great to me, so what gives ? Did they sign a deal with the devil or something ?

How is it a great device? I'm sorry but if you haven't played with the device it's a little hard for me to take this seriously. I will go over your issues one by one,

- Lag? I will agree TouchWiz is not good and was long gone since my first day when I installed nova. You get an amazing UI with complete customization and 0 lag.

- Screen cracked? I'm sorry but I haven't seen this issue at all. Of course there will be cracks if you mishandle the phone. The S4 actually has the newest gorrilla glass and having had an iPhone 5 and seeing how delicate it is (shattered screen from 4 feet) I don't see any comparison.

- 9 gigs of storage? There's also 32 gb versions, and even with the 16 version there's a new update that lets you store apps on sd cards. So I'll let you do the math there.

- Gimmicky features? - I find myself using a lot of them most of the time. Air gestures are so much fun using and everyone just wants to give it a try. Air view is very useful when previewing photos and messages. I'll agree smart stay I don't find very useful but some people do.

- Screen? You guys win here iPhone's brightness is amazing and is still ahead of all smartphones.

- Removable battery? Really? This is one of the reasons many people convert. Besides the S4 battery which is amazing, having the ability to go days and days without charging because of spare batteries or going on long trips when you need GPS and don't need to worry about battery, is a huge deal breaker for a lot people. Not to mention you can buy bigger batteries.

-Removable SD card? Again big deal breaker for many people with big storage needs. Can have thousands and thousands of songs, photos and videos and having the ability to store on sd cards and swap them from devices is very helpful but that's to everybody's needs.

I will be the first to say the iPhone is a great device obviously one of the best but after trying the S4 I won't be going back. That is of course everyones opinion and choice. This was just to answer your question why it's such a great device, not metioning 5", 13 MP camera, voice commands (such as saying cheese, capture, shoot to take a picture, saying snooze or stop for the alarm and much much more) and so many more.

Last edited:

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Bob G

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Wait, were you serious?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This made me lol. Can't be serious. Where is Sean....

I just saw the comment, but it was buried before I got a chance to retort (too much beer, fireworks and BBQ to get online really, lol!)

At any rate, a person who makes automotive analogies but confuses these two things can't be taken seriously anyways...

Porches...

front_porch1.jpg

Porsche...

singer-porsche-911-xl.jpg

...also...

I will be the first to say the iPhone is a great device obviously one of the best but after trying the S4 I won't be going back. That is of course everyones opinion and choice. This was just to answer your question why it's such a great device, not metioning 5", 13 MP camera, voice commands (such as saying cheese, capture, shoot to take a picture, saying snooze or stop for the alarm and much much more) and so many more.

There really wasn't a question posed that needed answering, you signed up on the forum so you could make sure everyone knew how much you love your Galaxy S4, at least be honest with yourself.

shoii

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
There really wasn't a question posed that needed answering, you signed up on the forum so you could make sure everyone knew how much you love your Galaxy S4, at least be honest with yourself.

See, that's it. How is the S4 a great device ?

Removable battery?
Removable SD card ?
So it doesn't sound all that great to me, so what gives ?
Did they sign a deal with the devil or something ?

Perhaps I misunderstood my english classes on what a question should look like. I was only trying to explain my point of view on my Galaxy S4. Yes I am very content with my new device and would like to share my expierence on this thread, seeing that is extremely relevant to the OP. I meant in no way to critize any other device as I stated the iPhone is an amazing device as well. Thank you :)

Last edited:

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Bob G

I couldn't disagree more. The iPhone is the Porche, Androids are GM with a new model every month.

iphonelvr

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the iPhone 5 and then upgraded to the gs4. I literally had it for two days. I was having desperation anxiety from my iPhone. Lol But the gs4 was a good phone BUT gave me nothing but problems. I didn't like the quality of the photos on the front facing camera. The iPhone front facing camera photos are amazing and clear. Gs4 had blurriness to its front facing pictures. Then when I would charge it , it would take THREE WHOLE HOURS TO COMPLETE A CHARGE. maybe more. When I would use it, it would get extremely HOT. I was ready to cook a burger on it. That's how hot it got. Lol It's got a lot of great features and it's a really nice phone but too many issues. Oh and the battery life would wear out quickly compared to my iPhone. I had to disable Bluetooth and air view and smart stay. I really wish that it would of worked out for me with the GS4. But a lot of the problems I was experiencing, I experienced with my gs3 too. Maybe I will give the gs4 a shot again and hope that I just had a defective phone. But when u google the problems that I was having, a lot of people were having them too

mudbuny

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I just got my iphone 5 two days ago. I had an iphone 4 but then switched back to android. This time I came from a DNA, which was a nice phone and I like HTC, but i am amazed at the bugs you just get used to dealing with for the sake of android. I only go through %50 battery by 9 pm at night on my I5 as opposed to having %20 at 3 pm on the DNA. It makes me laugh when people who have android phones talk about buttery smooth, Iphone is definitely the butter!

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps I misunderstood my english classes on what a question should look like. I was only trying to explain my point of view on my Galaxy S4. Yes I am very content with my new device and would like to share my expierence on this thread, seeing that is extremely relevant to the OP. I meant in no way to critize any other device as I stated the iPhone is an amazing device as well. Thank you :)

Actually, the OP did pose a question with regards to the S4 in his second to last statement when he said, " What is the appeal?"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods