Which size of the phone below do you want next iphone be?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a question that is similar to that of the OP's. if Apple were to introduce a 4.3, 4.7 and a 5 inch iPhone (all 'without' retina displays), would those of you who demand a larger display still purchase one of them?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have a question that is similar to that of the OP's. if Apple were to introduce a 4.3, 4.7 and a 5 inch iPhone (all 'without' retina displays), would those of you who demand a larger display still purchase one of them?

Without a retina display? No. And that would be a slap in the face if they
did that. I don't care if the phone had to be a little thicker in order to get it
to happen.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Without a retina display? No. And that would be a slap in the face if they
did that. I don't care if the phone had to be a little thicker in order to get it
to happen.

I understand, but I'm curious. Did you consider the iPad Mini a slap in the face when it was released without a retina display?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I understand, but I'm curious. Did you consider the iPad Mini a slap in the face when it was released without a retina display?

I did to a certain extent. After I purchased it twice and took it back each time, I
understood why they released it without it. In order to have it they would have
had to sacrifice either battery life or the lightness/thinness of the product. So
if they were to make a 5-inch iPhone, they'd certainly have enough space to
put a big enough battery in there. So battery life shouldn't be an issue. And if
resorting to making the phone just a little bit thicker because of the LCD tech
and all that stuff that prevented them from keeping the iPad Mini as thin as it
is, so be it. This is why some phone hardware that run Android are able to keep
their phones thin. The device is so spread out that it makes a lot of space for
internals.

By the way, when it was pointed out to me that the iPad Mini is basically the
size of the battery in my iPad 4, I gave Apple a pass on that.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I did to a certain extent. After I purchased it twice and took it back each time, I
understood why they released it without it. In order to have it they would have
had to sacrifice either battery life or the lightness/thinness of the product. So
if they were to make a 5-inch iPhone, they'd certainly have enough space to
put a big enough battery in there. So battery life shouldn't be an issue. And if
resorting to making the phone just a little bit thicker because of the LCD tech
and all that stuff that prevented them from keeping the iPad Mini as thin as it
is, so be it. This is why some phone hardware that run Android are able to keep
their phones thin. The device is so spread out that it makes a lot of space for
internals.

By the way, when it was pointed out to me that the iPad Mini is basically the
size of the battery in my iPad 4, I gave Apple a pass on that.

Excellent follow-up...;)...Thanks.

ring o fire

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I love the iphone 5's size right now. I have had the GS3, HTC One X, the Nexus 4 and now have the iPhone 5. I came back because the others were just far to large to handle, in my opinion. I don't watch videos or play a lot of games (mostly Words With Friends types of games) so I am not looking for a multimedia device with a large screen to accommodate those things. Do I watch Youtube videos? Sure, but it isn't something that I usually do on my phone. I am hoping that the size of this phone doesn't change to much.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

No.

I would not trade the display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I say about 4.7-5" but no more than that. For the statement of typing with one hand that really depends on the person because even with my big hands and fingers I type with 2 thumbs anyway.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually no thats false. I can type one handed on my Nexus 4 with swipe. and navigation is also no problem.

You may have no problems, but your hands are bigger than most people's. The vast majority of the population can't fully navigate a screen one-handed if it's larger than 4".

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
You may have no problems, but your hands are bigger than most people's. The vast majority of the population can't fully navigate a screen one-handed if it's larger than 4".

I would say people can comfortably navigate a 4.3" display. And why can't Apple just give us an option for a bigger 4.7" or 5" display? People that like the 4" iPhone and the people that don't can get the 5" iPhone.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I would say people can comfortably navigate a 4.3" display. And why can't Apple just give us an option for a bigger 4.7" or 5" display? People that like the 4" iPhone and the people that don't can get the 5" iPhone.

If Apple goes with the bigger option, I can almost guarantee you that they will have the 4" model as the main iPhone and then have a larger device as a 2nd option. There's so much more that goes into making a phone than just a few people's desire for a larger display.

Human Factors Engineering dictates how Apple builds and designs displays. That's why they don't have a 5". I think Tim Cook will eventually bend and let customers drive the development and they will sacrifice usability to allow customers to choose the larger device.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I would side with Chetan on this one. iOS is not designed well for one handed use. That's why the device needs to be kept small enough to keep every corner of the screen reachable. Prompts and navigation buttons are at the top, and icons start in the top left corner. Android is much easier to use one handed with a larger screen. Navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed anywhere you please.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I would side with Chetan on this one. iOS is not designed well for one handed use. That's why the device needs to be kept small enough to keep every corner of the screen reachable. Prompts and navigation buttons are at the top, and icons start in the top left corner. Android is much easier to use one handed with a larger screen. Navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed anywhere you please.

iOS IS designed to be used one handed. That's why the screens aren't huge like on Android. They designed the experience for a screen that at least 90% of the population can reach all corners. Android just designs whatever they think people want. Apple designs what people need.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
If Apple goes with the bigger option, I can almost guarantee you that they will have the 4" model as the main iPhone and then have a larger device as a 2nd option. There's so much more that goes into making a phone than just a few people's desire for a larger display.

Human Factors Engineering dictates how Apple builds and designs displays. That's why they don't have a 5". I think Tim Cook will eventually bend and let customers drive the development and they will sacrifice usability to allow customers to choose the larger device.

How does it sacrifice usability? it INCREASES usability with a larger display.Also no iPhone users I know care about "one handed use" I see them using two hands all the time.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
iOS IS designed to be used one handed. That's why the screens aren't huge like on Android. They designed the experience for a screen that at least 90% of the population can reach all corners. Android just designs whatever they think people want. Apple designs what people need.

Again false. Android has navigational buttons and such on the bottom. not because they thought "lets just **** around with the customers",but to make it easier to use one handed.

With iOS the back button and things are on the top left corner, how is that designed to be one handed?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
How does it sacrifice usability? it INCREASES usability with a larger display.Also no iPhone users I know care about "one handed use" I see them using two hands all the time.

You have your opinions and the experts, engineers, and scientists that design phones will have theirs. I side with the experts.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Again false. Android has navigational buttons and such on the bottom. not because they thought "lets just **** around with the customers",but to make it easier to use one handed.

With iOS the back button and things are on the top left corner, how is that designed to be one handed?

Because they design the entire experience around single hand use on a smaller screen. If they go any larger than 4" then this will become and issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW