Actually no thats false. I can type one handed on my Nexus 4 with swipe. and navigation is also no problem.
    You may have no problems, but your hands are bigger than most people's. The vast majority of the population can't fully navigate a screen one-handed if it's larger than 4".

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    06-30-2013 05:57 PM
    You may have no problems, but your hands are bigger than most people's. The vast majority of the population can't fully navigate a screen one-handed if it's larger than 4".

I would say people can comfortably navigate a 4.3" display. And why can't Apple just give us an option for a bigger 4.7" or 5" display? People that like the 4" iPhone and the people that don't can get the 5" iPhone.
    06-30-2013 06:05 PM
    I would say people can comfortably navigate a 4.3" display. And why can't Apple just give us an option for a bigger 4.7" or 5" display? People that like the 4" iPhone and the people that don't can get the 5" iPhone.
    If Apple goes with the bigger option, I can almost guarantee you that they will have the 4" model as the main iPhone and then have a larger device as a 2nd option. There's so much more that goes into making a phone than just a few people's desire for a larger display.

Human Factors Engineering dictates how Apple builds and designs displays. That's why they don't have a 5". I think Tim Cook will eventually bend and let customers drive the development and they will sacrifice usability to allow customers to choose the larger device.

06-30-2013 06:08 PM

I would side with Chetan on this one. iOS is not designed well for one handed use. That's why the device needs to be kept small enough to keep every corner of the screen reachable. Prompts and navigation buttons are at the top, and icons start in the top left corner. Android is much easier to use one handed with a larger screen. Navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed anywhere you please.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    06-30-2013 06:09 PM
    I would side with Chetan on this one. iOS is not designed well for one handed use. That's why the device needs to be kept small enough to keep every corner of the screen reachable. Prompts and navigation buttons are at the top, and icons start in the top left corner. Android is much easier to use one handed with a larger screen. Navigation buttons are on the bottom, and icons can be placed anywhere you please.
    iOS IS designed to be used one handed. That's why the screens aren't huge like on Android. They designed the experience for a screen that at least 90% of the population can reach all corners. Android just designs whatever they think people want. Apple designs what people need.

06-30-2013 06:11 PM
    If Apple goes with the bigger option, I can almost guarantee you that they will have the 4" model as the main iPhone and then have a larger device as a 2nd option. There's so much more that goes into making a phone than just a few people's desire for a larger display.

Human Factors Engineering dictates how Apple builds and designs displays. That's why they don't have a 5". I think Tim Cook will eventually bend and let customers drive the development and they will sacrifice usability to allow customers to choose the larger device.

How does it sacrifice usability? it INCREASES usability with a larger display.Also no iPhone users I know care about "one handed use" I see them using two hands all the time.
    06-30-2013 06:13 PM
    iOS IS designed to be used one handed. That's why the screens aren't huge like on Android. They designed the experience for a screen that at least 90% of the population can reach all corners. Android just designs whatever they think people want. Apple designs what people need.

Again false. Android has navigational buttons and such on the bottom. not because they thought "lets just **** around with the customers",but to make it easier to use one handed.

With iOS the back button and things are on the top left corner, how is that designed to be one handed?
    06-30-2013 06:15 PM
    How does it sacrifice usability? it INCREASES usability with a larger display.Also no iPhone users I know care about "one handed use" I see them using two hands all the time.
    You have your opinions and the experts, engineers, and scientists that design phones will have theirs. I side with the experts.

06-30-2013 06:16 PM
    Again false. Android has navigational buttons and such on the bottom. not because they thought "lets just **** around with the customers",but to make it easier to use one handed.

With iOS the back button and things are on the top left corner, how is that designed to be one handed?
    Because they design the entire experience around single hand use on a smaller screen. If they go any larger than 4" then this will become and issue.

06-30-2013 06:17 PM
    You have your opinions and the experts, engineers, and scientists that design phones will have theirs. I side with the experts.

That's not the experts saying that, its the marketing team.
    06-30-2013 06:18 PM
    That's not the experts saying that, its the marketing team.
    No sir. It is experts. Are you a Human Factors engineer or ergonomist that knows about these type of things? I happen to be a Human Factors Engineer, so I know a thing or two about this...

06-30-2013 06:20 PM
    Apple CAN give it to you... but they have a business plan, and are acting on it. You can always save your pennies and start your own company to manufacture phones and devices of your choosing. Perhaps they will eventually produce additional/different devices, but for now, they’re don’t. It’s the golden rule: they got the gold, so they get to make the rules.
    jclisenby likes this.
    06-30-2013 06:34 PM
    I have a question that is similar to that of the OP's. if Apple were to introduce a 4.3, 4.7 and a 5 inch iPhone (all 'without' retina displays), would those of you who demand a larger display still purchase one of them?
    I don't think I would but if it was the only offering at the time, I would.
    Good Luck
    06-30-2013 10:11 PM

Apple did not design iOS for one handed use; they designed the iPhone for one handed use. There's a difference. They designed the hardware around making it small enough to reach the entire screen with your thumb. They demonstrate that in one of their ads. If iOS is designed for one handed use they did a poor job of it. Android's OS is much better designed in that regard, whether or not it was intentional.
    06-30-2013 10:41 PM
    Apple did not design iOS for one handed use; they designed the iPhone for one handed use. There's a difference. They designed the hardware around making it small enough to reach the entire screen with your thumb. They demonstrate that in one of their ads. If iOS is designed for one handed use they did a poor job of it. Android's OS is much better designed in that regard, whether or not it was intentional.
    This times 1000.
    07-01-2013 12:47 AM
    I have a question that is similar to that of the OP's. if Apple were to introduce a 4.3, 4.7 and a 5 inch iPhone (all 'without' retina displays), would those of you who demand a larger display still purchase one of them?
    If it were 1920 x 1080 I would. Make 4.7" please. While I think 5" is stretching it a bit, I would check it out. When you say non-retina, what resolution are you suggesting 1136 x 640 ? No.

Because they design the entire experience around single hand use on a smaller screen. If they go any larger than 4" then this will become and issue.

Issue for some not all. I do two handed texting. iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Magnum. You get to use yours the way you want efficiently, and I get to use mine my way, efficiently. One would not affect the other. All will be well in Willie's World.

07-01-2013 04:31 AM
    I use my iPhone one handed all the time! I like the phone because of it. I personally wouldn't want a bigger one because I wouldn't be able to secure the phone as easily with one hand and would probably drop it.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    jclisenby likes this.
    07-01-2013 11:21 AM
    I use my iPhone one handed all the time! I like the phone because of it. I personally wouldn't want a bigger one because I wouldn't be able to secure the phone as easily with one hand and would probably drop it.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    But are you against the choice of people wanting it?
    07-01-2013 05:04 PM
    You can want whatever you want. That doesn’t mean that Apple will ever do it. And to answer your question, I DON’T want a larger screen. If Apple ends up with only one size screen, and that size is larger than 4", then yes, I would be against it.
    07-01-2013 05:31 PM
    I hope Apple keeps the iPhone around 4". I'd be ok with a screen of 4.2. But any larger I wouldn't want it.
    jclisenby likes this.
    07-01-2013 05:36 PM
    I would be fine with the iPhone 5...I would not be fine if it exceeded the size of the Lumia.
    My co-worker owns the Nokia Lumia, and while it is ok in size, like you I would not want to see the next iPhone any larger than that.
    07-01-2013 08:45 PM
    LOL...What?

iOS is the core of the iPhone...both of them were designed specifically with one handed use in mind (to this point).

As much as you'd like to think you represent the majority of iPhone users in your desire for this large screen device...in reality, you represent a niche, and Apple does not conform hardware to niche requests, never have...never will.
    jclisenby and mrlyons841 like this.
    07-01-2013 09:30 PM

I don't believe I said I WAS against anyone wanting it.

Sent from my IPad 2
    07-01-2013 09:44 PM
    LOL...What?

iOS is the core of the iPhone...both of them were designed specifically with one handed use in mind (to this point).

As much as you'd like to think you represent the majority of iPhone users in your desire for this large screen device...in reality, you represent a niche, and Apple does not conform hardware to niche requests, never have...never will.
    You are correct; I am wrong! But I still maintain that the one handed design involves making the screen small enough to reach all of it with the thumb. How else can you explain putting prompts, navigation, and icons at the top (and sometimes the top left) of the screen? I think to say that that's part of the one handed design is an insult to Apple.
    07-01-2013 11:42 PM
    As an aging baby boomer the iPhone 5 was a good size until Apple went and screwed it up with iOS 7. They made the fonts smaller at the top where the clock and battery life is as well as the words under the icons. And the color patterns on the icons don't make any better.
    11-12-2013 05:30 AM
84 1234