In the past, when I've deleted e-mail off my phone, it did not delete it off the server. Today, I noticed if I delete email off my phone, it also deleted it off the server. I am trying to figure out what has changed???

I tried this out on my old Windows Phone (from which I upgraded), and it doesn't delete the emails off the server when I delete it off the phone.

There are some e-mails I prefer not to keep on my phone, but keep on my computer. I use yahoo and hotmail as my e-mail accounts.

Help
    06-26-2013 11:39 AM
    In the past, when I've deleted e-mail off my phone, it did not delete it off the server. Today, I noticed if I delete email off my phone, it also deleted it off the server. I am trying to figure out what has changed???

I tried this out on my old Windows Phone (from which I upgraded), and it doesn't delete the emails off the server when I delete it off the phone.

There are some e-mails I prefer not to keep on my phone, but keep on my computer. I use yahoo and hotmail as my e-mail accounts.

Help
    Are the deleted email messages not in your deleted messages folder? Also go to Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendars select your account and then select your account username/email address-select Advanced and then under deleted messages, change the setting to never.
    06-26-2013 12:39 PM
    Thanks. They do show up in the deleted folder on the server.
    I tried setting the deleted messages to never, but it still puts the e-mail into deleted items on the server too. When I get notifications from my financial accounts, I like to keep them on my computer, but not on my phone. If I pull the e-mail out of my deleted items, it will sync again into the inbox. Is this an ios6 feature? When I had ios 5 on my ipod touch, it didn't do this.
    06-26-2013 01:00 PM
    I tried setting the deleted messages to never, but it still puts the e-mail into deleted items on the server too. When I get notifications from my financial accounts, I like to keep them on my computer, but not on my phone. If I pull the e-mail out of my deleted items, it will sync again into the inbox. Is this an ios6 feature? When I had ios 5 on my ipod touch, it didn't do this.
    Is it set up as POP or IMAP? Whatever you do to mail configured as POP is only reflected on the device on which that the action was taken. With IMAP, however, action taken on one device is reflected on the server as well as on any other devices which access the email via the IMAP protocol.
    scorpiodsu and Par_T like this.
    06-26-2013 01:12 PM
    With your Outlook.com account, logon and then select Mechanical wheel icon in the upper right corner and then select "More Mail Setting". Now select "POP and Deleting Downloaded Messages" from the options given. Select "Don't Let Another Program Delete Messages From Outlook..."
    Par_T likes this.
    06-26-2013 01:20 PM
    Thanks all!

I set up my e-mail as POP and it works. But, I had to set up my hotmail as a separate account and turn off mail so I can sync my live calendar. It was more work, but I still love my iPhone 5
    I think I have everything working right now.
    Fausty82 and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-26-2013 02:35 PM