iPhone 5 battery life

MzNewEra

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone only lasts about 3hrs if I use it for entertainment. Is this normal or is there something I can change to get the most out of my battery life? I can use my iPad all day like 10hrs wit battery to spare when I get home but I can not understand why my iPhone can't.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I feel for you but there are so many different reasons why batteries won't last longer than you think. There are many threads here if you just look through any forum you will find them. Read them and see if you are managing your phone right. Good luck and I am sure you will find an answer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone only lasts about 3hrs if I use it for entertainment. Is this normal or is there something I can change to get the most out of my battery life? I can use my iPad all day like 10hrs wit battery to spare when I get home but I can not understand why my iPhone can't.

You need to be more specific in your description. I mean, I use my iPhone for *entertainment* on occasion but my battery life still lasts all day. When I say entertainment, I'm referring to playing a few games, listening to Internet radio and podcasts, watching instructional videos, etcetera.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it normal to get 3 hours usage time out of the iPhone 5? Not at all.

Is it normal to get significantly lower battery life when using resource hogging features on the iPhone 5? Yes.

Like others said above, if you're definition of entertainment means you're using Netflix over cellular and playing games on the iPhone (especially games that push the processor graphically), then yes, I could see a scenario where 3 hours battery life could be possible, but you'd really have to be pushing the iPhone to work to get that kind of result. 3 hours is seriously low, like bottom of the barrel performance, so either you're really REALLY using your iPhone 5 or there is a problem.

The only way we could really tell you what is up is if we had a base line for your battery life during a non-intensive usage cycle. Then we could compare that to your heavy usage cycle and tell you if it's an issue or if it's normal.

Also, just to put it out there, there are MANY battery life threads on this forum, including an official one for the iPhone 5. If you look in there, I think you'll get a good idea about what normal is vs. what you're experiencing...and i think you'll come to the same conclusion that i would have that there is probably something wrong with your iPhone.

hmi

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree. 3 hours is pretty low. You may want to try backing up all your apps and data to your computer (and remember all your account passwords), then use iTunes to restore it as "a new device", manually re-enter your account logins, and then synch your apps and data back onto the device.

I've found that OTA (over-the-air) OS updates can have a pretty bad effect on battery life, and I usually end up needing to restore as a new device once or so for every major version of iOS. It just helps your device to remain healthy and operate as designed.

soc

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Batteries deteriorate over time and should be replaced after 18 months if you want a stable charge. Remember that the iPhone 5 is power hungry and I have IOS7 on my iPhone 5 and the battery life really suffers. Also, I think most people including myself under estimate how much time we spend on these damn gadgets!.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner