Upgrade time - iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Upgrade time - iPhone 5 or iPhone 5S

Hello!
I am considering purchasing an iPhone. I normally buy phones every two years (T-Mobile) and I'm not sure whether to purchase the 5 or, when it comes out, the 5S.

Which do you think would make more sense?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: 5 or 5s

Your choices will be better if you can wait for the 5S to come out. At that point you can pick between the latest/greatest/newest model, or get the iPhone 5 at a reduce price... win-win in my book. As Karen said, the iPhone 5 will continue to be supported for several more years, and is still a great phone. You will also be able to see what (if anything) Apple is adding to iOS 7 for the new device, if there is anything, that the iPhone 5 may not get.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

There's no way to tell YOU which one makes more sense because we have no idea what your situation is, if you need a new phone right now or if you have some time to wait and to be honest, with no information about the next iPhone even available yet, you could be looking at 3-4 months before another variant hits the streets. What makes more sense is to make a decision for yourself honestly...right now the only phone you can have between the two is the iPhone 5, so it's really not a matter of sense, but rather a kind of obvious choice.

If i had a 4S right now and i wanted a new phone, I personally would wait until fall for the newer iPhone to come out...If I had an older model phone I might consider jumping on the iPhone 5. No offense, but these kinds of "Should I buy or should I wait" threads are a bit silly because none of us are in your shoes, so me telling you to wait might not be the best situation for you...only you can decide that based on hundreds of details that only you know or care about.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Upgrade time - iPhone 5 or iPhone 5S

Assuming the 5s releases at roughly the same time as the 5 did last year, you're looking at just over a 3 month wait. If the phone you're using right now is meeting your needs in the short term, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait. If you're limping along with your current device then you should strongly consider pulling the trigger on the 5 now. Either way, at least you know you'll get all the features of iOS 7 when it releases. As was stated, only you can assess your needs

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

One possible issue with waiting until the next gen iPhone comes out and then getting the iPhone 5 at a reduced price, is that after the new model comes out, Apple usually only sells the 16GB version of the prior models.

Good point, Karen... forgot about that. :)

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

If your thirsty for an upgrade get the 5 but if your willing to wait get the 5s the 5 is a great device even better jailbroken and since iOS7 is coming (and it looks sweet) you maybe don't have to jailbreak

Par_T

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

I was in the same boat and decided to get iPhone 5. I really didn't like the phone I had (it was mostly a band-aid phone until I could get an upgrade) and didn't want to wait another 3-4 months. I also typically don't buy phones at launch so I can watch and see if the new phones have bugs that need to be fixed. The rumored additions such as NFC, finger print sensor (personally, I'd wait until the second generation of this technology is out before I would purchase a phone with this), and higher megapixel camera were not deal breakers for me.

As most have posted, it really depends on what you need/want and if you're willing to wait. iPhone 5 had everything I was looking for in a phone, so I didn't wait for 5S. If you like the newest phone to keep for 2 years, it is probably best to wait for 5S.

Easy-G

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Not even a question. 5S all the way. "S" models release earlier that "4" or "5", so it's not like you have to wait till mid-Fall.

bkorver

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I just bought a 5 as well. My only smartphone experience has been android and this is my first iOS device. I'll use it for a couple months and this fall I will have an informed choice to make...

gring40

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

You might consider the iOS; if you're at all concerned about iOS7; an iP5 gives the option to stay with iOS6, but a 5s does not. Personally, I like the more legible fonts and 'realistic' icons in iOS6, and am also not a fan of the coming automatic app upgrade feature. See page 'Jony Ive redesigns things' - some humorous, some actual.

Last edited:

gring40

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Might consider the iOS in your decision if you have any concerns about iOS7. The iP5 comes with iOS6, which you can keep if you want, but the 5s with iOS7. Personally, I like the more legible fonts and realistic icons in iOS6, and am not a fan of the automatic app upgrades and neon colors in iOS7. See the article 'Jony Ive redesigns things' for a tumblr link to some actual and some humorous graphical examples.

CHIP72

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

One possible issue with waiting until the next gen iPhone comes out and then getting the iPhone 5 at a reduced price, is that after the new model comes out, Apple usually only sells the 16GB version of the prior models.

I thought it was just the 8GB versions (which are typically not available until a particular iPhone is displaced from flagship status by a newer, higher-end version).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I thought it was just the 8GB versions (which are typically not available until a particular iPhone is displaced from flagship status by a newer, higher-end version).

With the introduction of the iPhone 5, Apple changed their practice of 8GB phones. When the iPhone 5 was introduced, Apple retained the 16GB iPhone 4S as the "next step down" device. I can’t imagine a smartphone with less than 16GB of RAM at this point in the game. Nor can I imagine just how useless an 8GB iPhone would truly be - especially when the OS itself chews up 3-4GB.

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I prefer iOS 7. Considering I won't be replacing my phone until two years later, I'd rather have the 5S. Then, I'll be like a 4S user is now; not a 4 user.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner