How is iPhone 5 better than the Z10

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently using a Z10 and an iP5. I prefer the Z10 hands down over the iP5 for most all tasks, especially typing.

There are some cool apps I've put on the iP5 I wish were on the Z10, and The Weather Channel works better on the iPhone than the Z10.

User experience though, the Z10 is fantastic, and the iPhone irritates me..... but I'm an unashamed, solid BB fan/user.

The iPhone was given to me for work, which seems to be make it double irritating because this is not an enterprise device by any means. Its a consumer device, as is shown by the non-work related apps I find pretty cool. Like the U-Verse app where I can use the iPhone as a remote for my TV. Strava where I can view my GPS data for my cycling and running, so on and so forth.....

I was excited to have the opportunity to "test drive" the iPhone on someone else's dime, but so far I quite entrenched in BlackBerry, and thoroughly happy with BB10. Just wish I could have received a Q10 for work

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site
How is the iPhone not an enterprise device?

Several small items, that don't allow me to operate as quickly/smoothly as my 9930 did.

Conference calls - If I added a number to an individual's contact in this format 1.800.123.5555X123456# my 9930 saw that, and prompted me to dial the extension/PIN (from what I understand Android also acknowledged this format). The iPhone, I now have to go through all my contacts and change the X to a ; instead. The problem is, the number doesn't show up in the contact list as a number to dial for those respective contacts. So even though the format will work, I can put it in the meeting notes, and dial from there, I'm frustrated I don't have the numbers listed with the contacts, so when I know I have a call, I pull that person's contact card up, dial the conference call number. The phone is basically causing me extra work. Every conference call I accept, I have to edit the meeting to put the conf bridge number in a format the phone will acknowledge.

Calendar - Calendar appointments accepted in Outlook don't show as accepted on the iPhone. This was completely seamless on my 9930

Typing - Key to answering/responding to emails is just not conducive to being productive. I just find it rather difficult to type on the iPhone. (I can't avoid it either, so I'm forced to get used to it, and its not happening) My Z10 is hands down, more productive to type with. So much so, there is no need to use common mobile phone shorthand.

Why do I have to slide to unlock, if I just used a button to turn it on? Why in the app store do I always have to put my password in for free apps, and twice to buy one?

Riding in the car, playing music, answering calls, its great.

The way see it, the apps make the iPhone. The OS is just there, unless there's something I'm missing, its just swipe and tap.

I'm not bashing the iPhone, its just not geared for productivity. It does what it does well, and that's play music, video, take pictures/video, and run cool apps.

Receiving/Sending/syncing email/appt's is a start, but being productive using it for email/conf-calls is another level that the iPhone is just falling short. I can do it, but it's a bit clunky doing it....

Douken

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
He could never explain. He just said, we'll look at it, look at the videos in YouTube... So, basically he couldn't explain himself, You guys don't give a concrete explanation either so I don't know

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's ones personal opinion on how the device maybe better then something else.

If you want hardware specs I can list them..... But not sure what else you want me to tell ya.. I use the iPhone 5 and have used the Z10 before, but not anymore....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think there's a pretty big difference between saying something is "Not an enterprise device" and saying something isn't AS GOOD as another device at BEING an enterprise device. The iPhone works perfectly well for me as an enterprise device for what I ask for it, maybe you ask for more...or maybe you're just used to the Blackberry functioning in that realm, but to say that the iPhone isn't an enterprise device at all is a bit silly, especially since it's being picked up everyday by more and more corporations as their device of choice.

He could never explain. He just said, we'll look at it, look at the videos in YouTube... So, basically he couldn't explain himself, You guys don't give a concrete explanation either so I don't know

You want a concrete explanation? iOS is a more polished and tested operating system...it has a vastly larger app selection, it's had 6 iterations (going on 7) to work out the freshman bugs that BB10 will be fighting through over the next couple of years (if Blackberry lasts that long in the consumer market), and it performs with a stability that is unmatched ANYWHERE across the spectrum of smartphone OS's.

Then we can dive into the hardware in many ways...the camera is unquestionably better on the iPhone 5 than the Z10, the design is a matter of taste, but the weight and build quality is not, it is a cleaner device than the Z10 (which just has a yawn inducing design factor to it, and falls victim of blending in with the plethora of other stale, black plastic looking smartphones on the market these days). The Z10 is also significantly heavier (by smartphone standards).

...we could go on and on about apps and other opinionated items, but to lay it out, there's a pretty defined (IE: CONCRETE) "better" phone here, and it's made by Apple. Is it "better" for every person on the planet? Nope...and no phone ever will be. When you sit them down next to each other though, the iPhone sits on top of the device food chain, and one of them is clamoring away somewhere in the middle. We won't even get into sales figures and customer satisfaction here, lol...that's a road Blackberry will never get to, even if BB10 based end up very successful.

And the real beauty here? You're comparing last years iPhone to the fresh Blackberry...keep in mind that we're just a couple months away from a higher spec'ed iPhone, when the iPhone 5 is already holding it's own just fine against the NEW competition, lol.

:beer:

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think there's a pretty big difference between saying something is "Not an enterprise device" and saying something isn't AS GOOD as another device at BEING an enterprise device. The iPhone works perfectly well for me as an enterprise device for what I ask for it, maybe you ask for more...or maybe you're just used to the Blackberry functioning in that realm, but to say that the iPhone isn't an enterprise device at all is a bit silly, especially since it's being picked up everyday by more and more corporations as their device of choice.

You want a concrete explanation? iOS is a more polished and tested operating system...it has a vastly larger app selection, it's had 6 iterations (going on 7) to work out the freshman bugs that BB10 will be fighting through over the next couple of years (if Blackberry lasts that long in the consumer market), and it performs with a stability that is unmatched ANYWHERE across the spectrum of smartphone OS's.

Then we can dive into the hardware in many ways...the camera is unquestionably better on the iPhone 5 than the Z10, the design is a matter of taste, but the weight and build quality is not, it is a cleaner device than the Z10 (which just has a yawn inducing design factor to it, and falls victim of blending in with the plethora of other stale, black plastic looking smartphones on the market these days). The Z10 is also significantly heavier (by smartphone standards).

...we could go on and on about apps and other opinionated items, but to lay it out, there's a pretty defined (IE: CONCRETE) "better" phone here, and it's made by Apple. Is it "better" for every person on the planet? Nope...and no phone ever will be. When you sit them down next to each other though, the iPhone sits on top of the device food chain, and one of them is clamoring away somewhere in the middle. We won't even get into sales figures and customer satisfaction here, lol...that's a road Blackberry will never get to, even if BB10 based end up very successful.

And the real beauty here? You're comparing last years iPhone to the fresh Blackberry...keep in mind that we're just a couple months away from a higher spec'ed iPhone, when the iPhone 5 is already holding it's own just fine against the NEW competition, lol.

Couldn't you be more specific? :p

SixStringMadness

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I suppose you're right, and my Z10 performs well as a consumer device, for me at least. It keeps me happy. ;)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Walking into a store and playing with the display models for 20 minutes each will give you
a slight idea of what's good for you. Especially if you're an enthusiast. When I played around
with the z10 for kicks, the difference between that and my iPhone 5 was uncanny. The overall
responsiveness of the UI is flat out better on the iPhone. Take into consideration what Sean
just said. The freakin' thing was released last September. It's on top of the food chain, still.
I swear, I think I could use an iPhone 4 from 2010 for a week and be happier than I would us-
ing a Z10 of 2013.

The best thing about being a consumer is a period of time to return a device if you're not happy
with it and try something else.

sirfly2fly

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Several small items, that don't allow me to operate as quickly/smoothly as my 9930 did.

Conference calls - If I added a number to an individual's contact in this format 1.800.123.5555X123456# my 9930 saw that, and prompted me to dial the extension/PIN (from what I understand Android also acknowledged this format). The iPhone, I now have to go through all my contacts and change the X to a ; instead. The problem is, the number doesn't show up in the contact list as a number to dial for those respective contacts. So even though the format will work, I can put it in the meeting notes, and dial from there, I'm frustrated I don't have the numbers listed with the contacts, so when I know I have a call, I pull that person's contact card up, dial the conference call number. The phone is basically causing me extra work. Every conference call I accept, I have to edit the meeting to put the conf bridge number in a format the phone will acknowledge.

Calendar - Calendar appointments accepted in Outlook don't show as accepted on the iPhone. This was completely seamless on my 9930

Typing - Key to answering/responding to emails is just not conducive to being productive. I just find it rather difficult to type on the iPhone. (I can't avoid it either, so I'm forced to get used to it, and its not happening) My Z10 is hands down, more productive to type with. So much so, there is no need to use common mobile phone shorthand.

Why do I have to slide to unlock, if I just used a button to turn it on? Why in the app store do I always have to put my password in for free apps, and twice to buy one?

Riding in the car, playing music, answering calls, its great.

The way see it, the apps make the iPhone. The OS is just there, unless there's something I'm missing, its just swipe and tap.

I'm not bashing the iPhone, its just not geared for productivity. It does what it does well, and that's play music, video, take pictures/video, and run cool apps.

Receiving/Sending/syncing email/appt's is a start, but being productive using it for email/conf-calls is another level that the iPhone is just falling short. I can do it, but it's a bit clunky doing it....

It's interesting you mention the Calendar issue, I work in IT and had to help a client with that, his iPhone did not sync the accepted calendar event and to get it to sync i had to remove and re add that calendar

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I came here with the purpose of knowing this.

I have a friend that says that the Z10 is not on the level of the 4S and too far away from iP5. Not sure what he means by that so I was hoping to get some answers on this.

your question is inherently subjective. I don't like blackberry phones so there is no blackberry that i'd i've over my 4S or equivalent spec'd android phone. What's better will always depend on what's of value to you as a user. take blackberry messenger, take imessage. There's little about either i care about. I don't want delivery confirmations. I don't want to send them. I don't want to group chat and i have free unlimited texting. So neither feature is important. And you can do the same for the rest of the specs on a given phone. it may or may not be a positive. I don't use the calender. So how good your calender is matters not. On a webos phone they kept mentioning "real multitasking." I don't care. I don't do that much. And even if one phone does it better the issue is sometimes is does a phone do something good enough to satisfy me regardless? and many do. For example, a $400k sports car may go 0-60 in 4 seconds but maybe 0-60 in 6 seconds is perfectly fine for me. Not like i'm drag racing. it's all subjective. There is really no better just what's best for you.

Nikedas

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone 5 camera is better than the Z10? In what way? Care to explain? Or have you not even tried using the Z10's camera?

From what I've read, both have an 8 MP rear-facing camera. Both shoot 1080p videos. Both have HDR capability. Only one has photo filters and photo editing built into the OS. I'll give you a hint: the other is copying the filters and bringing it to a new iteration of their mobile OS in the fall.

Check out these (probably) unbiased smartphone camera reviews from ZDnet and CNET:

Camera phone comparison; HTC One, BlackBerry Z10, iPhone 5, Lumia 920, and Note II | ZDNet and

BlackBerry Z10 camera versus iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

If you believe the Z10 has a yawn inducing design factor, then you must feel the same way about the iPhone 5, as they don't look all that different. Both are slim, black (or white) rectangular slabs. Most people can't tell the difference between them from 5 feet away.

Okay, the iPhone 5 is lighter, but significantly? Let's not exaggerate the facts. The iPhone 5 weighs 112 grams (3.95 ounces), whereas the Z10 weighs 136 grams (4.8 ounces), a total difference of 24 grams, not even an ounce (0.85 oz). If this weight difference makes that big of a difference to you, you probably don't want to head to the gym.

If you're going to make a post to criticize the competition, at least have your facts straight. Not doing so makes you look like an ignorant fanboy.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
blah blah blah...useless drivel...blah.

What facts did i get wrong, troll? I've seen plenty of comparisons between the Z10 and iPhone 5's photography capabilities...the iPhone 5 is second to the Lumia 920, period. Don't agree? I could care less, the proof is in the pudding. And it's cute that you reference that CNet comparison, you know...the one where there was siding with the iPhone 5 through most of the comparisons, and pointing out that "Blackberry fans finally have something to be happy about."...well played? LOL.

The weight difference (if you bother to go back and read my post again) specifically pointed out the difference being by smartphone standards. Assuming you can read clearly, one can only hope you just missed that part (or maybe you're dense, who knows).

Lastly, you said most people couldn't tell the difference between the phone's cosmetically from a distance...I can only deduce that by distance you meant like 100 yards, or perhaps by a half blind elderly person. When i see the two phones, the difference is both noticeable and clear...now i can't speak on behalf of everyone, but if the two phones look the same to you sitting in front of you, it might be time to set an eye doctor appointment.

You want proof of what I'm clamoring about? Go look it up...you've got one post here and it was to try and kick up dust. I can't believe I've posted this much in response lol.

Don't let the door hit ya.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711