My son upgraded from 4 to 5. On his 4 he had his phone programmed to connect to WiFi. Whenever the phone saw approved WiFi places it would connect automatically. He has the 5 programmed they same way. The 5 does not always connect and sometimes disconnects from WiFi and switches to LTE and its eating up our data time. Is this a a malfunction or is there more tweaking to be done in the settings?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jack
    05-27-2013 11:52 AM
    Try resetting the network settings.

Settings...
    General...
    Reset...
    Reset Network Settings.

...make sure you have the passwords available for the networks he connects to before hand though because you will need to re-enter those.
    05-27-2013 12:02 PM
    My son upgraded from 4 to 5. On his 4 he had his phone programmed to connect to WiFi. Whenever the phone saw approved WiFi places it would connect automatically. He has the 5 programmed they same way. The 5 does not always connect and sometimes disconnects from WiFi and switches to LTE and its eating up our data time. Is this a a malfunction or is there more tweaking to be done in the settings?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jack
    Does this happen while the phone is in active use, or when the phone is in "sleep" mode (ie, the screen is off)? If the latter, this is, unfortunately, normal behavior.
    05-28-2013 11:54 AM
    Is he on the latest version of iOS 6?

I've noticed on earlier builds that the wifi connection wasn't persistent once the device went to sleep mode. The latest version seems to have fixed this. Mind you my iOS devices are all wifi only though I seem to recall iPhone users reporting the same problem after the initial iOS 6 update.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    05-28-2013 01:49 PM
    Is he on the latest version of iOS 6?

I've noticed on earlier builds that the wifi connection wasn't persistent once the device went to sleep mode. The latest version seems to have fixed this. Mind you my iOS devices are all wifi only though I seem to recall iPhone users reporting the same problem after the initial iOS 6 update.
    No such luck. The iPhone puts WiFi to sleep when the device goes to sleep. The only way to "fix" this is with a jailbreak app.
    05-28-2013 02:15 PM
    I find that I sometimes have to restart my router get to get connected back on my iPhone
    05-28-2013 04:47 PM
    Ever since I've had my iphone 5 - well 2 in fact, first one with AT&T, latest one with Verizon... that the iphone 5 has some issues with some wifi networks... it doesn't connect as seemlesly as all my previous iphones... seems it struggles most with my work wifi... not sure if they are wpa2 networks, or some other encryption... at home, it connects well. But even then, once in a while, it seems to not connect right away, or seems laggy, whereas my macbook pro and ipad mini have solid, fast reliable wifi connections all the time... Don't know what it is about the iPhone 5's wifi performance, but it's the one thing that irritates me quite a bit about it...
    05-28-2013 10:53 PM