YouTube app only HD with wifi

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile, my data speeds are between 10 & 15mb down and 3mb up. These speeds are during the day and at night even faster. These speeds are on the HSPA+ Network. My point with this Thread is why the heck doesn't the YouTube app capable of HD when not on wifi? I have been using m.youtube.com thru the safari browser, works pretty good but it isn't as slick looking as the YouTube app. I have noticed other YouTube apps, is there a better choice??
Are there settings on the iphone 5 that will help in video playback??

Thank You,
Vinny

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I use McTube to watch my youtube videos, it lets me choose the video quality from 240 to 780 or more if made available by the uploader.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
They have it set up to restrict quality when not on WiFi to help with data usage.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
They have it set up to restrict quality when not on WiFi to help with data usage.

Why would they set the app like that for just the iPhone? On Android the app can be watched on HD while on wifi or on any Network. The customer is paying for the data and it would only help the app if it could be watched on either wifi or Network bandwith. Is it Apple that keeps the app from streaming on Network bandwith, that doesn't make any sense either. The app would get much more approval by the customers if it were able to be watched on both wifi and Network bandwith. Just doesn't make sense to ruin a great app.
Thanks

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

The iOS YouTube app does the same thing that all video streaming apps do on iOS. They measure the connection speed and latency, then provide the appropriate quality video. Anytime you're on a cellular network, you won't be able to get full HD on video apps. You'll need to connect to WiFi to get the full HD experience.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The iOS YouTube app does the same thing that all video streaming apps do on iOS. They measure the connection speed and latency, then provide the appropriate quality video. Anytime you're on a cellular network, you won't be able to get full HD on video apps. You'll need to connect to WiFi to get the full HD experience.

I don't think that is exactly true. I can get HD video when I watch Netflix without a wifi connection.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

beathookup

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I try not to watch anything on YouTube until I'm near WiFi I have Sprint LTE in my area and the buffering kills me when trying to watching something. Personally I'm better off finding it on my desktop, downloading it and than put it on my iPhone all before I could have watch the full video directly from my phone.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

Not sure about that, I can watch Netflix without any issue and the picture is HD all the way. As I said I get very fast consistant dl speeds, over 12mb all day and faster at night, those speeds give any Android phone I have, (I own at least 6) video playback on any app I ever download, I'm talking Max go, Movie apps, Netflix any app fantastic HD playback without any buffering. With my iPhone 5 I can watch Netflix with a HD picture without buffering but then this dumb *** YouTube app and several others that will buffer and give a lousy video playback on the same great speeds. The speeds I'm getting are also on my iPhone 5 and I'm thrilled with the phone, my web pages light up instantly, everything works fantastic but that lousy YouTube app. Been using (m.youtube.com) on the Safari browser and it works pretty good, no buffering and choice of HD. I will live with it but hoping the real YouTube app gets a well deserved update.
Thanks

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
On my Galaxy S3, you can have HD selected, but I've never had it play in HD while on a cellular network. I just tried it on our newly lit up LTE network, where I'm seeing speeds faster than my home wifi, and it still only plays in SD.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

That is utter nonsense! I want the choice in the app. I can stream in HQ from the YouTube website just fine. I want that same option in the app! If I start a video on wifi in the app, I can pause it and turn off wifi, and it will continue playing over LTE when I start it again without having to stop and buffer the video. I actually get less buffering over LTE than I do over my cable connection.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
On my Galaxy S3, you can have HD selected, but I've never had it play in HD while on a cellular network. I just tried it on our newly lit up LTE network, where I'm seeing speeds faster than my home wifi, and it still only plays in SD.

I also have the SGS3 on T-Mobile with only HSPA+ Network, get very fast speeds, during the day 12 - 16mb down and faster at night. These are constant speeds not spiked. I get HD playback on YouTube and just about every other app. Don't know what you are doing, my SGS3 is completely stock running 4.2.2 OS. YouTube gives the best video experience on that phone, not only that but I can watch a 11/2 hour podcast without any buffering on HD on the HSPA+ T-Mobile Network. Just wanted to let you know. I think the customer should have the choice on how to playback videos, the customer pays for data not the phone manufacturer. Just sounds silly. I'll be jailbreaking my iPhone 5 ASAP, when that happens I'll be streaming in HD whether Apple approves or not.
I'm sure I'm not the only iPhone owner who wants to stream videos on YouTube when not near their wifi connection in HD Playback.
Thanks, Vinny
iPhone 5
SGS2
SGS3
Note 2
Rezound
Nexus One on T-Mobile
Nexus One on AT&T
I have several more but embarrassed to say, I am a sick bird.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have notice that to I never use wifi on my phone cause my data plan have more then enough data for me and when I try to watch videos on YouTube app it's not hd which I find weird so I use playtube which is similar and it plays hd videos make the videos I watch crystal clear

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I use McTube to watch my youtube videos, it lets me choose the video quality from 240 to 780 or more if made available by the uploader.

I just went into the App Store and couldn't find McTube, there was just about every other app with the last half of the name ending in (Tube) but none named McTube. You have me very curious about McTube, any help would be welcomed.
Thank You,
Vinny
New iPhone 5 owner but learning the OS very fast.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I just went into the App Store and couldn't find McTube, there was just about every other app with the last half of the name ending in (Tube) but none named McTube. You have me very curious about McTube, any help would be welcomed.
Thank You,
Vinny

That's a Jailbreak app available in Cydia.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I try not to watch anything on YouTube until I'm near WiFi I have Sprint LTE in my area and the buffering kills me when trying to watching something. Personally I'm better off finding it on my desktop, downloading it and than put it on my iPhone all before I could have watch the full video directly from my phone.

Sprints lte must be garbage I get 30-50 mb down on AT&T which is faster then most home networks YouTube works great.. I rarely connect to wifi anymore

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Sprints lte must be garbage I get 30-50 mb down on AT&T which is faster then most home networks YouTube works great.. I rarely connect to wifi anymore

Sprint and T-Mobile LTE are both quite a bit slower than AT&T and Verizon. Sprint and T-Mo users generally don't get much higher than 15-20. On AT&T and Verizon, users regularly get 30+. It's just the difference in the networks.

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm averaging 10-12mbps and performance is rock solid. Considering nearly everyone here is using an S3 lately, so I know it's being used, I'd say that's decent.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No, jclisenby McTube is not a jb app I downloaded it from the official app store, I don't have jb on my iPhone. Maybe you are thinking about MxTube which is a cydia app.

Thank You,
Vinny

Hi Vinny!
After reading this I went back to the app store and you are right, the app is not there anymore there used to be the lite and the pro version. Seems like it has been removed from the AppStore (people at macrumors are wondering the same thing) which is weird since they released an update not long ago, they also stated that they were removing the cache ability due to Google and Apple request, maybe that's why.

I'm uploading a couple of pics to show you.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369410304.534372.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369410337.484671.jpg

A you can see I'm not on wifi and it gives me different video quality options up to 1080p.
It's a bummer they pulled it out!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro