thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The past 2 days under settings my usage time and standby times have been the same and my battery life is pretty bad. I've had this problem before and it was an app that was causing it but this time I can't figure it out. I have double tapped my home button and closed all my apps, the location services icon next to my battery is not on so that's not it. The only thing I have changed is started syncing notes to iCloud. I shut it back off but it doesn't change my times.

Does anybody have any other things to try or ideas?

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Back up and try a restore. Sometimes that helps with issues like these. Other than that, charge your phone to 100% and take it off as soon as the lightning bolt on the battery changes to a electrical plug. Also drain your phone completely to 1% before charging it. I have done this since day 1 and my phone is going on 2 days without a charge and is still at 12%.

Wow that's some amazing battery life, mine would never last that long. Maybe we should take this guy's advice, OP

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty strict on using my system. I will not put my phone on the charger if I know that I will have to unplug it before it reaches 100%. It doesn't bother me to go a couple hours without my phone, to keep my charge cycles. I would also advise to never leave your phone plugged in overnight.

iPhone 5 64GB White
iPad Mini 32GB Black
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2009
2x Apple TV 3rd Gen.

Wow that is strict. I have this weird thing where I hate my phone being lower than 50% if I'm away from a charger. I just get so paranoid that its going to run out. I also always charge it overnight and always have...whoops lol. Do always have your phone on airplane mode and always have a charger handy or something?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Back up and try a restore. Sometimes that helps with issues like these. Other than that, charge your phone to 100% and take it off as soon as the lightning bolt on the battery changes to a electrical plug. Also drain your phone completely to 1% before charging it. I have done this since day 1 and my phone is going on 2 days without a charge and is still at 12%.

I plug my phone in all the time whenever I want since day one and I get 12 hours of usage sometimes more.. And letting it die is actually bad for the battery read up on battery care for newer battery technology even on this site.. I completely disagree with your method and have found that the method I use has worked on the 4 4s and 5

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

ashzoomerintrack

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Co incidentally mine and thedunn805 views are same. Charge it completely till you get plug sign on phone. Use the phone till battery reaches below levels of 4%. As for the people who charge their phones daily or when battery is below 20% will have to deal with a phenomenon called memory effect. We are reducing the usable capacity of the battery by recharging it on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I would try to just turn off the phone and turn it back on. That may reset whatever is going on and using the extra energy. A full restore sounds a little aggressive as the first line of defense. Just my opinion, and it may not be right or help, but it won't do any harm and only takes a minute.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I would try to just turn off the phone and turn it back on. That may reset whatever is going on and using the extra energy. A full restore sounds a little aggressive as the first line of defense. Just my opinion, and it may not be right or help, but it won't do any harm and only takes a minute.

Did it. Did a hard reset as well and nothing worked.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Co incidentally mine and thedunn805 views are same. Charge it completely till you get plug sign on phone. Use the phone till battery reaches below levels of 4%. As for the people who charge their phones daily or when battery is below 20% will have to deal with a phenomenon called memory effect. We are reducing the usable capacity of the battery by recharging it on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Problem with this method is that it isn't alway possible and most people just don't know or do that. I charge my phone like I usually have. Put it on the charger when I go to bed and take it off when I wake up. I have never had it die during my time awake. Closest I actually got was yesterday I was at 3 percent when I went to sleep and charged it. I don't know many people who are going to sit by their phones and wait for them to be fully charged. If your working at a desk maybe, but I don't know anyone who waits till a phone dies and takes it off as soon as its charged. I remember old phones you had to do this, however newer batteries are made to stop charging as soon as the phone is full. Even if you charge every night your battery should be ok until you trade in your phone. Battery life daily varies based on apps used, services used and apps in the background (in ios location based apps can kill your battery if on in background and in a low service area)

Now please don't get me wrong, I believe your methods may work! However, even if charging overnight everyday was really bad, most people need their phones during the day. Why let it die during the day time and then if I am out and need it be screwed? Smartphones are awesome little computers but they still are and always will be a mobile communications device which loses its point if It dies while out of the house and its dead when needed. Believe me.... My last three smartphones never lasted a day and I ALWAYS needed them when they died. I had to turn off radios, turn off the phone when I didn't need it, not use it for anything other than texts. I had webos, windows phone and android, and did it for all three. Android and webos were the worst offenders and it was around the beginning of their lives this problem happened so I am sure it was not from battery degrading, it was the way the systems ran. On my iphone I get between 13 hours with 6 used and more than 20 with 4 used. I have forgotten to charge it before and it lasted a day and a half so I really am not too worried.

I look forward to a day when we don't have to worry about battery life at all though :)

isuquinndog

May 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife is having problem too. I read on one site that Mail accounts are what is to blame but I have had a chance to test that. They said to delete all mail/calendar accounts.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys have your brightness turn up or half way down ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The slider dot is above the 'gh' in Auto-Brightness... probably ? of the way up.

In my experience this issue of usage/standby times being equal was caused by a mis-behaving app... and for me, doing the hard reset (holding Home/Power buttons down until the Apple logo appeared) followed by topping off the charge always seemed to fix it. In fact, I haven’t seen that (on my devices) in quite some time.

Question to the OP: are you jailbroken? A rogue app could definitely cause this issue... but I’m not jailbroken, and I’ve seen it from time to time, as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I keep mine on auto-brightness. That way it gets a lot brighter if I'm out in the sun, but inside its not as bright and uses less battery.

I, too, have auto-brightness enabled. I guess I should have stated that my minimum brightness level is kept at the 1/3 mark. Sorry about that. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok because I think that's my problem I have my screen turn up I love the colors and brightness but if that's helping my batterylife than ill do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Having your display's brightness level turned up high and using it in that position for an extended period of time can affect the battery, but that alone should not be a problem.