in love with the iPhone 5 again

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
went ona road trip today and for the first time i used the gps on the phone for directions. Hooked it up to the usb port in the car for charging really and then i discovered i was able to play music through the car radio like i do from my usb stick. all of a sudden a voice came over the radio with instructions to turn. Didn't realize it at the time but the phone was playing it gps directions through the car audio connection. wow what a surprise. i loved it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
went ona road trip today and for the first time i used the gps on the phone for directions. Hooked it up to the usb port in the car for charging really and then i discovered i was able to play music through the car radio like i do from my usb stick. all of a sudden a voice came over the radio with instructions to turn. Didn't realize it at the time but the phone was playing it gps directions through the car audio connection. wow what a surprise. i loved it

Nice. I now take it you'll be using the iPhone 5 more for playing music in your car than via your USB stick...:)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
not only that I may be selling my garmin gps :)
Hang on to it for a back-up... or if you find yourself in a place where you have no data available, and you run out of cached data keeping the map going... yes, that can happen, depending on if the Map app you're using.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
U mean the GPS uses data? I thought it was independent of the data plan. Holy crap no telling how much data I used today if that's the case. I thought it worked like a stand alone unit

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using apple maps

Apple maps uses data to download the maps! GPS itself uses no data! I have the Tom Tom USA purchased off the App Store which loads all maps onto the device so no data usage happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Maps in any fashion (both Apple and Google) have pretty much eliminated my need for an actual GPS unit. With every phone I get, I make sure the first accessory I purchase is a car charger/mount. I have a Garmin GPS that I don't think I've even touched in at least two years, maybe longer.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
U mean the GPS uses data? I thought it was independent of the data plan. Holy crap no telling how much data I used today if that's the case. I thought it worked like a stand alone unit

Map apps use data if they do not store full map data on the device... they cache what's needed... and if you are in an area where you have no signal, you can run out of cached data for your app.

_X_

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
LOL! No they pull data down but it's not that much, it's in the order of megabytes.

With Google maps you can cache maps in a region so it does not require a live connection, the bad part is it will eat up your local disk space.

Unless its changed recently, Google Maps uses bitmaps which require downloading another bitmap depending on your zoom level.
Only if you call 2yrs recently. Google has had vector drawn maps for more than two years. What is bitmaps is the satellite view.

Loony4Fruit

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If you're afraid of data usage when using a navigation app, just get one of the many navigation apps in the app store that have maps stored offline. But, I agree, even if you do go with Apple Maps (or the Google Maps app), data usage isn't a huge deal.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711