are they trying to turn the iphone into a android device

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Whats up with all this google stuff coming on board to the ios devices. Everyday it seems another service is being announced. If I wanted a android device I would buy one. On the other hand I guess its good somebody is putting out service that will work on iOS if Apple isn't going to do it. I tried this latest google hangout which is part of google + and it took me all of about 5 minutes to dump that crap off my iPhone

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Google is a software company, not Android. Android is just one of their many software projects like Chrome, like Google Drive, Google+ etc

Having Google provide services for iOS is nothing but positive. You don't have to use them, but they're there for those of us that do.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I know what u mean.. It just seem like now a days they wanna link all smart phones together to share everything.. Now it's just taking out the uniqueness of different platforms and phones.. Soon their not gonna be any originality anymore

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Positive for Google... they get more places from which they can mine data and display targeted advertising to... Google is first and foremost an advertising company.

And they provide most of their services to average consumers free of charge. I'd rather see targeted ads about stuff I might want to buy than for gentlemen vegetable enlargement pills.

A lot of people forget that they give you a lot for no outlay. If you don't want to use their services, then don't. What I'm saying is don't bash the fact that we can use their stuff on iOS. If it was like Windows Phone over here I'd struggle to get through the day using an iPhone. But that's me. I like having that option.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
More power to you if you're willing to be sold by Google... in some ways, they're like the drug dealer that gives it to you until you're hooked, and once they have killed off all the other dealers, they start finding ways to make you pay... Except Google isn't to the point of starting to charge for what they've been giving away... Yet...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And they provide most of their services to average consumers free of charge. I'd rather see targeted ads about stuff I might want to buy than for gentlemen vegetable enlargement pills.

A lot of people forget that they give you a lot for no outlay. If you don't want to use their services, then don't. What I'm saying is don't bash the fact that we can use their stuff on iOS. If it was like Windows Phone over here I'd struggle to get through the day using an iPhone. But that's me. I like having that option.

muahahaha...we have another proponent of the "free" Google software. I love it! Nothing you get from Google is free in the common, english dictionary defined way the word exists. Also, i don't see where kch50428 "bashed" the fact the stuff could be used on iOS, i saw him make the very relevant and factual statement about what Google is.

All that said, to the OP...nobody is forcing you to use anything on the phone, including Google's offerings. Nothing about a set of apps on the app store is turning the iPhone into an Android device, they are just there for those people who feel they need the stuff. Personally, the only thing i use out of all of Google's app offerings is the Gmail app, and my guess is the next iOS major upgrade will render this unneeded as well with new features on the native Mail app.

Real simple here...don't want it? Don't use it. A handful of Google apps does not an Android device make.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
i do use the gmail web based email service and calendar but thats all. If I hadn't been using it long before I ever got a smartphone I probably would just be using iCloud. Anyway the email and calendar do sync well to the phone. When I had a android device I found myself constantly trying to make it do something or stop it from doing something like running my battery down for apps in the background. Anyway after about the first 2 weeks and all the new wore off it I went back to the iPhone. Don't get me wrong I love android but I just want to use the phone and do what i need and get off. I am not one that always has to be fooling with or trying something new. I may try the blackberry later after we see where they go with their new lineup .

ELavar

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Whats up with all this google stuff coming on board to the ios devices. Everyday it seems another service is being announced. If I wanted a android device I would buy one. On the other hand I guess its good somebody is putting out service that will work on iOS if Apple isn't going to do it. I tried this latest google hangout which is part of google + and it took me all of about 5 minutes to dump that crap off my iPhone

You know, I'm really happy about this. We have the best of both worlds and I really enjoy Google's software. We have a much better arrangement than what android has.

ELavar

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
muahahaha...we have another proponent of the "free" Google software. I love it! Nothing you get from Google is free in the common, english dictionary defined way the word exists. Also, i don't see where kch50428 "bashed" the fact the stuff could be used on iOS, i saw him make the very relevant and factual statement about what Google is.

All that said, to the OP...nobody is forcing you to use anything on the phone, including Google's offerings. Nothing about a set of apps on the app store is turning the iPhone into an Android device, they are just there for those people who feel they need the stuff. Personally, the only thing i use out of all of Google's app offerings is the Gmail app, and my guess is the next iOS major upgrade will render this unneeded as well with new features on the native Mail app.

Real simple here...don't want it? Don't use it. A handful of Google apps does not an Android device make.

You know, maybe it's because I'm new to iPhone, but I really like the native mailbox app. I don't quite understand why many people dislike it.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You know, maybe it's because I'm new to iPhone, but I really like the native mailbox app. I don't quite understand why many people dislike it.
I like it fine too. easy enough to use for me. Only thing I wid=sh you could to in it is attached a file. Heck as far as that part goes I wish we have a good file manager on the iphone and thats all I need

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I really don't use many Google services anymore. I have a Gmail, I have Google+ that I rarely check and on my laptop I have Google Chrome but I may switch browsers again. Other than that I use Google for search because it has the most relevant search choices. I even went to bingiton.com and the only time bing beat out google was when it gave me crackberry.com in a search for Z10 reviews.

I don't use the services so I don't download them. But as Rene has said many time, the iPhone is a great Google phone.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Context matters. He didn't say Keith bashed. He was defending his original remark, which was directed to the OP.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Google makes software and provides services. These are optional items on iOS devices. So, if you don't want to use anything from Google, don't. It is that simple.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah there really is no reason to even question this. This is a positive and it's clear cut that way.

I could understand if it was being forced on you but there not so there is no reason to not want the option.

Many people want google services on their iPhone, some love iOS but still like software from google. It is really simple.

Like others have said if it is something you don't like then don't download it.

I am happy there is an option.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I actually really like the native Mail app too in many ways, but when it comes to gmail, and the accounts i use on there...the app works better organizationally for me.

Context matters. He didn't say Keith bashed. He was defending his original remark, which was directed to the OP.

Perhaps it was the direct quote towards the comment and then the response i retorted too...i took it as a comment towards Keith, but either way, the point of the overall post was clear.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro