My iPhone 5 is ill...

aznhomieboi1689

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I have had my iPhone 5 since December. I like iPhones because they are known for their durability, and design. However, today it decides to die on me.

This is what has happened:

- iPhone 5's internet not working
- No LTE is displayed even though I am living in a huge metroplex with full AT&T LTE
- NOT a network issue, as I have talked with an AT&T representative who tried to "reset" the network several times, and placed calls etc.
- iPhone canNOT make calls or receive them
- When I restart the iPhone, at first, LTE works perfectly (with 17 Mbps+) and then 2 minutes later --> LTE gone and the bars go to "0" and back up displaying "E". In this state, no calls/texts/internet work.

So in summary, the phone works for 1-2 minutes then dies each time of restart. I tried to make calls, tried to call into my phone, tried to access the internet, it did not work. It's funny because this moring it worked just fine.

Another note: I remember that earlier this day, I tried to use Siri to navigate to a destination. When I did this, the phone froze (for the first time) and then black screen (no response at all) for about 1 minute or so. After that the screen came back up, so I'm wondering if this triggered a cascade of events.

I don't know what's wrong with it :( The AT&T representative suggested it might be something wrong with the SIM, and that I should bring it to AT&T store. But meanwhile, does anyone else every experienced this? I only had this phone for a few months and I had my iPhone 4 for 2+ years and that worked perfectly.

PS. I've been having network "hiccups" now and then (similar to this experience) but each of those times it was minor and short-lived. Now it's not working at all.

If anyone can help me or weigh in some opinion, that'd be much appreciated! Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you think the issue is hardware-related, don't hesitate to take it to a nearby Apple Store to have them check it out and possible have it exchanged. If you think the problem could be a corrupted OS or something, then follow the steps found HERE to put your iPhone in DFU mode to get help get you back up & running. If you're unsure or are uncomfortable putting your device in DFU mode, by all means, take it to a nearby Apple Store and let a Genius troubleshoot it for you.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Make an appointment at your nearest genius bar. Take the phone in and show them what's happening. They'll either fix it or replace it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is I would have been at the Apple store getting a replacement long before i even thought about asking random people on a forum what was wrong with it...lol. It's under warranty, go get a new one.

aznhomieboi1689

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so another thing. So it "rested" overnight and things look better. However, every time I try to place a call, the signal bar goes down to 0 again, but when I stopped the call, it goes back up to LTE.

I guess I will take it to the Apple Store, it's just so far from where I live :(

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
My closest Apple store is 2 hours and 2 states away. Takes an entire Saturday, but it's always worth it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok so another thing. So it "rested" overnight and things look better. However, every time I try to place a call, the signal bar goes down to 0 again, but when I stopped the call, it goes back up to LTE.

I guess I will take it to the Apple Store, it's just so far from where I live :(

The signal drop to zero would be because of the switch from LTE to 4G during phone calls (LTE is a data carrier, not voice)...this would explain why it goes down and then back to LTE when you stop the call, because it's switching back to it's data side.

Also, what major metro area doesn't have a local Apple store? (just curious really)

aznhomieboi1689

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The signal drop to zero would be because of the switch from LTE to 4G during phone calls (LTE is a data carrier, not voice)...this would explain why it goes down and then back to LTE when you stop the call, because it's switching back to it's data side.

Also, what major metro area doesn't have a local Apple store? (just curious really)

Oh! Is that normal? Because sometimes it doesn't go back to LTE. Like yesterday I couldn't call anyone and them it goes to "E". Today though its fine, I can make calls and go on Internet but I'm just wondering about the signal drop....

I live in the middle of the DFW metroplex, so that's one apple store in Dallas and one in Ft Worth, both ~45 mins away, which I guess not as far as others have said....

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that it is normal for it not to go back to LTE or even 4G for that matter. However I have experienced this on every iPhone 5 I have had. I have even had one replaced for this issue. Some of the phones are worse than others when it comes to losing signal.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

That's the only thing I don't like about owning a iPhone. Nearest apple store to me is over a hour away. Unfortunately I've had to replace my 4s and my I5. Once your there it's the smoothest experience as far as CS goes. Just wish a apple store was closer.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I got my iPhone 5 since November which is the second batch of iPhone 5 since the first one was sold out.. And love the way it's build and look and how durable it feels.. Never had no software issue with the phone

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It could be hardware or the sim those are def probably the only two things it could be if its a hardware failure apple will replace it on the spot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Off topic but, all you guys living in the states im surprised Apple stores are so far away, I thought they were ubiquitous. I'm in Canada, and I have 3 apple stores that are between 20 mins and 1 hour away

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Off topic but, all you guys living in the states im surprised Apple stores are so far away, I thought they were ubiquitous. I'm in Canada, and I have 3 apple stores that are between 20 mins and 1 hour away

Back home in Orlando, there are 3 Apple Stores, as well, but the farthest from where I used to live is 20 minutes away, TOPS!...:), but here in the Triad, one is probably 30 minutes away and the other is probably an hour to an hour & 15 or so away in Charlotte. The drive is worth it either way, in my opinion.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

In Atlanta, I have one that is 5min. away from me, one that is about 10min. away, the next about 20min. and the furthest, about a 30min. drive (into a very beautiful part of Georgia at that, so it's scenic, lol). There is one close to SC in Augusta, GA, but I never consider that one anyways.

I'm spoiled i suppose, going to the Apple store is literally about as much effort as driving to the gas station here.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Nearst Apple stores for me are 2 hours drive one way... Minnepolis or Des Moines... we hicks I the sticks aren't worthy of Apple locating a store here :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner