The new Google iPhone.

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I also have google apps on my iPhone especially Gmail which I always use. hahaha :D I dont use Chrome since it's really slow and it's a bit laggy :/ For this thread, it's a good Idea though. I like how Google and iPhone mix together :)

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The Google apps are great, especially the Gmail app. I don?t use gmail anymore though. I have since transitioned to iCloud, so I only have the Chrome browser as an alternative browser, and Google Authenticator when I need to do something with my Google account. I am happier with the synchronisation between my iPhone and macbook using iCloud though.

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Google Chrome is my browser of choice partly because it's the best at synching my bookmarks across multiple Apple and non-Apple web-enabled devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Google Chrome is my browser of choice partly because it's the best at synching my bookmarks across multiple Apple and non-Apple web-enabled devices.

If you have iCloud enabled, it, too, does an excellent job at keeping bookmarks synced across Apple devices.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter. You don't have to use any of it if you don't want, unlike Android. If you want Google services on your phone then great. If not then Apple has you covered. Choice is great.

Well I know that it doesn't matter. I was simply saying that if I personally enjoy being able to use the iPhone along with google services. I understand greatly that there is a choice.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I understand, but that's not what I was referring to -- Push notifications of awaiting email that you then retrieve vs the actual email being pushed to your device. I would argue that the former is sufficient for a great deal of users.

Exactly. I don't mind if I don't get the email right away. I frequently check my email, so I don't even need my emails pushed to my device. But hey, to each it's own.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep. That's one of the many reasons we need more Google integration. It gives us more choice for the best services available.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Maybe iOS 7 will bring that capability. I sure hope so.
Google maps is good, as is Apple maps, but I use neither. I see no sense in it for me, as I have a 5" Garmin Nuvi that I use for navigation.
Google Now is great, and I hope that it gets more useful in iOS 7 (notifications?).
I do use Google calendar.

It's really useful to get it pushed, as opposed to getting mail every 15 minutes.

I understand, but that's not what I was referring to -- Push notifications of awaiting email that you then retrieve vs the actual email being pushed to your device. I would argue that the former is sufficient for a great deal of users.

Everyone wants immediate gratification.

But I agree. I think getting email every 15 minutes (or even every hour) is probably sufficient for most people. In sure there are iPhones used for business that would benefit from push, but most people don't need it. But you get spoiled since you get that immediate gratification from other email services-gmail in the native Mail app seems to be the only mainstream exception since push works with iCloud, outlook.com, yahoo email, etc.

Since I run a business, it's important to me to have it instantly and be able to reply right from it instantly even if to say "let me look into that or get back to my office and reply as I am on the road", more than just a notification. I'm sure it's not vital for everyone, but for me it is, and not everyone sends messages to my business email address (which, honestly, is annoying as hell, but somehow out of my total control), so I don't want to deal with a ton of forwarding to make instant happen. But I don't want a bunch of different mail apps, I want that native and I want it to "just work" right out of the box, not in 15 minutes.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep. That's one of the many reasons we need more Google integration. It gives us more choice for the best services available.

Maybe iOS 7 will bring that capability. I sure hope so.
Google maps is good, as is Apple maps, but I use neither. I see no sense in it for me, as I have a 5" Garmin Nuvi that I use for navigation.
Google Now is great, and I hope that it gets more useful in iOS 7 (notifications?).
I do use Google calendar.

It's really useful to get it pushed, as opposed to getting mail every 15 minutes.

Everyone wants immediate gratification.

But I agree. I think getting email every 15 minutes (or even every hour) is probably sufficient for most people. In sure there are iPhones used for business that would benefit from push, but most people don't need it. But you get spoiled since you get that immediate gratification from other email services-gmail in the native Mail app seems to be the only mainstream exception since push works with iCloud, outlook.com, yahoo email, etc.

Then complain to Google not Apple. Apple supports push from other competitors like Yahoo and Microsoft so I'm sure lack of gmail push in the native Mail app is Google's choice.
Well, it's kind of a combination. Apple forces you to choose fetch for anything other than iCloud mail. And they set the schedule, the most frequent is 15 minutes. They can change that. But Google taking away Exchange support in an effort to force their horrendous app on people...not helping.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
All I see here in almost every post is the word Google and Android with the occasional mention of iPhone and IOS7. So why is this in the IP5 Forum? Just curious?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
All I see here in almost every post is the word Google and Android with the occasional mention of iPhone and IOS7. So why is this in the IP5 Forum? Just curious?

I think it was pushed to the iPhone 5 thread cause we are talking about Google services on the iPhone. I do think it may be better suited for transfer to the iOS or apps forums.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it was pushed to the iPhone 5 thread cause we are talking about Google services on the iPhone. I do think it may be better suited for transfer to the iOS or apps forums.

If its suited somewhere else, then a mod can definitely move it there. I didn't really know where to put it so I put it in the general discussion forum. Sorry about that.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
If its suited somewhere else, then a mod can definitely move it there. I didn't really know where to put it so I put it in the general discussion forum. Sorry about that.

Don't worry. You posted it in a fine area. It's just what the thread degraded to after you posted it.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Rene is loosing it and I would bet he has more Google features on his phone than he wants to admit. Without Google the Internet wouldn't be nearly as fun. Many people would love to be able to use Chrome as the default browser, I sure would. IMO it's the best browser out there and gets better all the time. I think all the great Google apps on my new iPhone makes it a great phone. Can't imagine no Gmail, YouTube, Chrome and Search and on and on. The SmartPhone is Smart because of Google, without Google SmartPhones would be dumb.
Vinny

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Rene is loosing it and I would bet he has more Google features on his phone than he wants to admit. Without Google the Internet wouldn't be nearly as fun. Many people would love to be able to use Chrome as the default browser, I sure would. IMO it's the best browser out there and gets better all the time. I think all the great Google apps on my new iPhone makes it a great phone. Can't imagine no Gmail, YouTube, Chrome and Search and on and on. The SmartPhone is Smart because of Google, without Google SmartPhones would be dumb.
Vinny

For those of us who were using the Internet before the inclusion of the World Wide Web, your words fall on deaf ears. I had a blast before the creation of Google and continue to do so with its use. However, web crawler, altavista and others were sufficient for most of our search needs prior to the arrival of Google. Having said that, Google services are indeed appreciated by a great deal of people, but to assume that the use of the Internet would not be fun without it is ridiculous. There will always be something else to fill a void.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
In regard to "push", how many people really *need* push email as opposed to push notifications of email?

I admin a forum and moderate another. Push notification is vital to address problems quickly. Imagine there was a drama fight in a thread. By the time you receive the pull (15 min interval) the thread would be done and over and a lot of unwanted or unnecessary would have been seen by all.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Then complain to Google not Apple. Apple supports push from other competitors like Yahoo and Microsoft so I'm sure lack of gmail push in the native Mail app is Google's choice.

Why would you complain to Google when Google has a great app with push mail. Without Google apps any so called smartphone is just another dumb *** phone. I couldn't imagine having a smartphone without Google maps, Search, YouTube, Google+, Drive, etc. etc. I own 6 Android phones and the iPhone 5, hate Google for being # 1 at what they do?????? That is just real dumb and immature. To make an excuse for the iPhone Mail client not having push by saying who really needs push mail?? Come on that is like saying would you rather have a new car or the used car, how many really need a new car???

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Why would you complain to Google when Google has a great app with push mail. Without Google apps any so called smartphone is just another dumb *** phone. I couldn't imagine having a smartphone without Google maps, Search, YouTube, Google+, Drive, etc. etc. I own 6 Android phones and the iPhone 5, hate Google for being # 1 at what they do?????? That is just real dumb and immature. To make an excuse for the iPhone Mail client not having push by saying who really needs push mail?? Come on that is like saying would you rather have a new car or the used car, how many really need a new car???

Iphones not supporting push for gmail in 2013 is almost assuredly a limitation on Google's end, likely to incentivise people to use their own gmail app (which I find is not very good, given the lack of a unified inbox and inability to open attachments in other apps). I am currently using mailbox.

Apple supports push for icloud, yahoo, hotmail, and pre-2013, gmail (via the exchange option, unless your organisation expressly blocked imap). Pre-IOS6 Google maps stank, and I find that Apple's own maps meets my needs just fine. Apart from google drive app, I personally have no need for the other Google apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711