I purchased my iphone5 3 months ago (came from Galaxy Nexus). I love the Iphone5. No issues. I'm also JB.

I've noticed that my data usage is EXTREMELY high. The 1st 2 months, I was using about 5 gigs of data. This month so far, it says that I've also used 7.5gigs of data. I'm connected to WiFi most of the time, I don't stream or download movies or music via LTE. Previous months billing when I was using GN, the most I was using was 4gigs. I figured something has to be wrong. There's no way I've used this amount of data. I still have 7 days to go before my next billing cycle.

Anyone else having this issue of large data usage? Anything I can do to check to find out what is causing this issue? Should I reset or reload the IOS?

Thanks,
    Rob

PS...GREAT SITE!! Thanks in advance.
    05-06-2013 04:21 PM
    You might want to contact your wireless provider to inquire about your alleged consumption and to have them check their system and try to troubleshoot from their end first.
    05-06-2013 04:35 PM
    You might want to contact your wireless provider to inquire about your alleged consumption and to have them check their system and try to troubleshoot from their end first.
    Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with VZW support and they told me to hard reset the phone and if that doesn't work, then possible bad iphone. If I do a hard reset, I will lose everything, even my jailbreak right?
    05-06-2013 05:31 PM
    It's unquestionably the carrier...NOT the iPhone. I've had a battle with AT&T over this crap for the last part of 2012, and ended up putting a flag on my account so that it was monitored (by AT&T AND myself) throughout the month to look for weird or unjustified data usages...and wouldn't you freakin' know, the data overages stopped.

The carriers are having a field day with tiered data plans...they essentially have zero accountability (that anyone can prove) with overages, but they charge for overages like it's going out of style.

Become annoying with your carrier if they don't give you the straight deal up front...continuously contact them about usage, and watch it yourself. You'll see how quickly things get rectified when you're on their asses all the time about data usage.
    05-06-2013 06:06 PM
    If you have a weather widget installed it may be pulling data constantly. There are some tweaks that disable 4g / lte when your connected to wifi. You can try using one of those and see if it helps.

OH! Did you update the carrier settings on your iphone? After it came out there was a verizon bug that prevented it from using wifi when connected.

iPhone 5 (Verizon): About carrier settings update 13.1
    " This carrier settings update resolves an issue in which, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Follow these instructions to install the update."
    05-06-2013 07:07 PM
    I called vzw and they are going to monitor the acct for the next couple of days and said they would call me back on we'd evening. Yeah right!!! They told me to turn off me cellular and just use wifi. (No phone calls during this time). This is suppose to tell me what is going on.

I went to settings then general and waited for the possible wifi update. Nothing showed up. I checked to see what version I was running and it lost 14.1. Is that the correct version?
    05-06-2013 07:56 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with VZW support and they told me to hard reset the phone and if that doesn't work, then possible bad iphone. If I do a hard reset, I will lose everything, even my jailbreak right?
    First to answer your question, if you restore your iPhone as "new" then yes, you will lose your jailbreak. Now, I doubt that the problem lies with your device, however, on the chance that it is not the carrier then I would take a guess and say that it may lie with a tweak of some sort with your jailbreak. Again, I'm just guessing, but as Sean has already stated, he and others were having problems a few months back and tech blogs were reporting the same and the problem turned out to be carrier-related for the most part.
    05-06-2013 08:06 PM
    I called vzw and they are going to monitor the acct for the next couple of days and said they would call me back on we'd evening. Yeah right!!! They told me to turn off me cellular and just use wifi. (No phone calls during this time). This is suppose to tell me what is going on.

I went to settings then general and waited for the possible wifi update. Nothing showed up. I checked to see what version I was running and it lost 14.1. Is that the correct version?
    FYI: The carrier version that I have for Verizon is 14.2
    05-06-2013 08:08 PM
    Do you ever turn it on airplane mode at night when you're sleeping? That would be something to consider. I started doing that when I noticed my husband's was through the roof for no apparent reason (he literally NEVER touches his phone unless he gets a phone call) and it stopped immediately. I turn mine on Airplane Mode overnight always bec I don't want it making any noises overnight (other than rare emergency situations) and I have not experienced any phantom issues either. Since I knew they were having issues with wifi and data I usually turn wifi on only after I have gone into airplane mode.
    05-06-2013 08:37 PM
    **update: I just read on another forum that 14.1 is the latest iphone carrier setting for 6.1.2. (would be 14.2 if on 6.1.3).
    05-06-2013 10:23 PM
    I have had the same issue. Came from a Nexus and Razr where I would average 1.5-2GB per month.

Now with my iPhone 5 I have NEVER been under 4GB per month.

Last month I hit 7.9GB

This is obviously an issue with the iPhone and not LTE since other devices don't seem to do it.
    05-07-2013 02:51 AM
    It's unquestionably the carrier...NOT the iPhone. I've had a battle with AT&T over this crap for the last part of 2012, and ended up putting a flag on my account so that it was monitored (by AT&T AND myself) throughout the month to look for weird or unjustified data usages...and wouldn't you freakin' know, the data overages stopped.

The carriers are having a field day with tiered data plans...they essentially have zero accountability (that anyone can prove) with overages, but they charge for overages like it's going out of style.

Become annoying with your carrier if they don't give you the straight deal up front...continuously contact them about usage, and watch it yourself. You'll see how quickly things get rectified when you're on their asses all the time about data usage.
    Sean..I agree with you. The carriers know they can charge you for overages, and you have almost no resource to dispute them. From the time I called earlier that evening until 9:15pm, my data went up 800mb. I called back and spoke to VZW and they did some troubleshooting and couldn't find anything. They said again, they will look into it and call me back with 24-48 hrs. So this morning my data usage is up to 8.8gig. So VWZ is saying that within a 10hr period, I've used 1.3gig? No streaming music, videos, Netflix, or anything like that. I only check news (via Currents, Flipboard, and some push motifications). I'm going to stick you your plan. Call VZW till they resoulve this issue.

Thanks
    Last edited by kch50428; 05-07-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: fix quote
    05-07-2013 08:31 AM
    FYI: The carrier version that I have for Verizon is 14.2
    JustMe'D....You have 14.2. What IOS version are you running? I'm running 6.1.2 and mine reads 14.1. Is your currently JB?

Thanks
    05-07-2013 09:01 AM
    Sean..I agree with you. The carriers know they can charge you for overages, and you have almost no resource to dispute them. From the time I called earlier that evening until 9:15pm, my data went up 800mb. I called back and spoke to VZW and they did some troubleshooting and couldn't find anything. They said again, they will look into it and call me back with 24-48 hrs. So this morning my data usage is up to 8.8gig. So VWZ is saying that within a 10hr period, I've used 1.3gig? No streaming music, videos, Netflix, or anything like that. I only check news (via Currents, Flipboard, and some push motifications). I'm going to stick you your plan. Call VZW till they resoulve this issue.

Thanks
    1. Restore as new to remove the jailbreak. Track the usage for a few days running stock.
    2. If the usage remains the same escalate with Verizon.
    3. If things remain the same go see Apple and they will either check out your phone or just give you another one.
    05-07-2013 09:22 AM
    1. Restore as new to remove the jailbreak. Track the usage for a few days running stock.
    2. If the usage remains the same escalate with Verizon.
    3. If things remain the same go see Apple and they will either check out your phone or just give you another one.
    Sting7k....I was thinking of doing that. Just run stock with just the basic apps and see what happens from there. No added app or jb tweaks, and then go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help!!
    05-07-2013 09:28 AM
    JustMe'D....You have 14.2. What IOS version are you running? I'm running 6.1.2 and mine reads 14.1. Is your currently JB?

Thanks
    I am running iOS 6.1.4 and no, my device is not jailbroken.
    05-07-2013 09:29 AM
    First to answer your question, if you restore your iPhone as "new" then yes, you will lose your jailbreak. Now, I doubt that the problem lies with your device, however, on the chance that it is not the carrier then I would take a guess and say that it may lie with a tweak of some sort with your jailbreak. Again, I'm just guessing, but as Sean has already stated, he and others were having problems a few months back and tech blogs were reporting the same and the problem turned out to be carrier-related for the most part.
    If I restore my phone from Itunes, will it factory reset my phone to its current IOS? I'm running 6.1.2? Or will it update to 6.1.4? I tried to factory reset through the phone, but it would just have the spinning wheel for more than 1 hr and not reset. I think I read that you can't hard reset through the phone if you are JB.
    05-07-2013 02:04 PM
    it will update to 6.1.4
    05-07-2013 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the info
    05-07-2013 02:46 PM
    Before restoring the phone try just to reset all settings in the general - reset option. Also reset your data usage in the usage tab and without doing anything for a day see if it shows something. In addition to everything mentioned above there could be a culprit app that is draining the same. Can you also tell us some of the JB apps that you have loaded?
    05-07-2013 05:47 PM
    Before restoring the phone try just to reset all settings in the general - reset option. Also reset your data usage in the usage tab and without doing anything for a day see if it shows something. In addition to everything mentioned above there could be a culprit app that is draining the same. Can you also tell us some of the JB apps that you have loaded?
    Please never give that advice to a jailbroken phone again?

rgm, it sounds like you took his advice prior to the post on your own. You can not use that option after you jailbreak. As you see, it does bad things. If you're booting back up, you're doing better than most after pressing that button.

I think you're misunderstanding or incorrectly stating things. You're confusing a factory restore with a hard reset. A hard reset is accomplished by holding the home and power keys until power recycles. There is not an update to the iOS when you do this. It's essentially the same as turning the power off and back on. The most useful time to run a hard reset is when the devices becomes unresponsive so you're unable to simply power it down.

A factory restore requires plugging into iTunes. It may require you placing your phone into DFU mode prior to plugging it in to work. Again, things go crazy when you hit that button. This WILL update your iOS. Currently, you'll update to 6.1.4 and lose your ability to jailbreak. It sounds like you've already decided this is your best option. A heads up, I'm on 14.1 for my carrier as well. I'm on Verizon jailbroken 6.1.2 as well. I've never seen an update offered for the carrier.
    05-08-2013 03:37 AM
    Please never give that advice to a jailbroken phone again?

rgm, it sounds like you took his advice prior to the post on your own. You can not use that option after you jailbreak. As you see, it does bad things. If you're booting back up, you're doing better than most after pressing that button.

I think you're misunderstanding or incorrectly stating things. You're confusing a factory restore with a hard reset. A hard reset is accomplished by holding the home and power keys until power recycles. There is not an update to the iOS when you do this. It's essentially the same as turning the power off and back on. The most useful time to run a hard reset is when the devices becomes unresponsive so you're unable to simply power it down.

A factory restore requires plugging into iTunes. It may require you placing your phone into DFU mode prior to plugging it in to work. Again, things go crazy when you hit that button. This WILL update your iOS. Currently, you'll update to 6.1.4 and lose your ability to jailbreak. It sounds like you've already decided this is your best option. A heads up, I'm on 14.1 for my carrier as well. I'm on Verizon jailbroken 6.1.2 as well. I've never seen an update offered for the carrier.
    natasftw..Thanks for the advice. Here's what I found out. I spoke with an awesome tech at VZW yesterday. He pulled up my account and data usage. He noticed that the new yahoo weather app has been constantly pinging from my phone. He said that app is likely the culprit of my high data usage. He also went back a few more days and noticed that Google Currents is also doing the same thing as yahoo Weather app. So what I did was deleted almsot all my apps, then ran icleaner. I restored my apps and then ran icleaner again. CHA-CHING!!! I've been looking at my data usage app and no unusual high data. It works great on Wifi, and when I'm on LTE, the data usage looks low. I also check the VZW website just to make sure the data is correct and it almost matches what the data usage app says. Checked again this morning and everything looks good. So it must have been a corrupted app or something. Key point, when I first talked to the tech, he mentioned that VZW has had issues with the iphone keep accurate data usage. So if other people are having issues, I would recommend as someone told me, you need to call VZW. The tech also gave me 2gigs free to my acct just in case there was an issue and I had to call back the next day for further assistance. If any VZW employees out there, the tech who helped me yesterday (Tyrone), was AWESOME!!

Thanks for everyone's help!!! I'll let you know if anything changes.
    05-08-2013 08:53 AM
    I was going to suggest seeing what apps / emails are constantly pulling data. I changed my email settings so only my main one pushes emails, and the rest only refresh when I open the mail app. I also just use the apple weather. I installed a weather widget and noticed my data is higher than normal, even though its just a widget of the apple weather. Ill see it updating every time I unlock my device. Not sure if I want to keep it or not. Im currently halfway into my billing month and my data is just over half used up.
    05-08-2013 12:34 PM
    Good to hear. I'll have to keep an eye on my data as I have the same app installed.

I'm curious. I don't think it was ever addressed. Did the data usage listed in your settings match with the Verizon statement?
    05-08-2013 03:01 PM
    Awesome news that this was rectified for you, and while it wasn't directly related to VZW, staying on them yielded you a result...THIS is the most important aspect for people in the future that want to hand a data overage issue. STAY ON THE CARRIER! Their job is to help you with your service...it's the ONLY reason they are there.
    05-08-2013 03:24 PM
26 12