Data Usage.....What is causing this issue??

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my iphone5 3 months ago (came from Galaxy Nexus). I love the Iphone5. No issues. I'm also JB.

I've noticed that my data usage is EXTREMELY high. The 1st 2 months, I was using about 5 gigs of data. This month so far, it says that I've also used 7.5gigs of data. I'm connected to WiFi most of the time, I don't stream or download movies or music via LTE. Previous months billing when I was using GN, the most I was using was 4gigs. I figured something has to be wrong. There's no way I've used this amount of data. I still have 7 days to go before my next billing cycle.

Anyone else having this issue of large data usage? Anything I can do to check to find out what is causing this issue? Should I reset or reload the IOS?

Thanks,
Rob

PS...GREAT SITE!! Thanks in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You might want to contact your wireless provider to inquire about your alleged consumption and to have them check their system and try to troubleshoot from their end first.

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
You might want to contact your wireless provider to inquire about your alleged consumption and to have them check their system and try to troubleshoot from their end first.

Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with VZW support and they told me to hard reset the phone and if that doesn't work, then possible bad iphone. If I do a hard reset, I will lose everything, even my jailbreak right?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's unquestionably the carrier...NOT the iPhone. I've had a battle with AT&T over this crap for the last part of 2012, and ended up putting a flag on my account so that it was monitored (by AT&T AND myself) throughout the month to look for weird or unjustified data usages...and wouldn't you freakin' know, the data overages stopped.

The carriers are having a field day with tiered data plans...they essentially have zero accountability (that anyone can prove) with overages, but they charge for overages like it's going out of style.

Become annoying with your carrier if they don't give you the straight deal up front...continuously contact them about usage, and watch it yourself. You'll see how quickly things get rectified when you're on their asses all the time about data usage.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If you have a weather widget installed it may be pulling data constantly. There are some tweaks that disable 4g / lte when your connected to wifi. You can try using one of those and see if it helps.

OH! Did you update the carrier settings on your iphone? After it came out there was a verizon bug that prevented it from using wifi when connected.

iPhone 5 (Verizon): About carrier settings update 13.1
" This carrier settings update resolves an issue in which, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Follow these instructions to install the update."

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I called vzw and they are going to monitor the acct for the next couple of days and said they would call me back on we'd evening. Yeah right!!! They told me to turn off me cellular and just use wifi. (No phone calls during this time). This is suppose to tell me what is going on.

I went to settings then general and waited for the possible wifi update. Nothing showed up. I checked to see what version I was running and it lost 14.1. Is that the correct version?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with VZW support and they told me to hard reset the phone and if that doesn't work, then possible bad iphone. If I do a hard reset, I will lose everything, even my jailbreak right?

First to answer your question, if you restore your iPhone as "new" then yes, you will lose your jailbreak. Now, I doubt that the problem lies with your device, however, on the chance that it is not the carrier then I would take a guess and say that it may lie with a tweak of some sort with your jailbreak. Again, I'm just guessing, but as Sean has already stated, he and others were having problems a few months back and tech blogs were reporting the same and the problem turned out to be carrier-related for the most part.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I called vzw and they are going to monitor the acct for the next couple of days and said they would call me back on we'd evening. Yeah right!!! They told me to turn off me cellular and just use wifi. (No phone calls during this time). This is suppose to tell me what is going on.

I went to settings then general and waited for the possible wifi update. Nothing showed up. I checked to see what version I was running and it lost 14.1. Is that the correct version?

FYI: The carrier version that I have for Verizon is 14.2

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you ever turn it on airplane mode at night when you're sleeping? That would be something to consider. I started doing that when I noticed my husband's was through the roof for no apparent reason (he literally NEVER touches his phone unless he gets a phone call) and it stopped immediately. I turn mine on Airplane Mode overnight always bec I don't want it making any noises overnight (other than rare emergency situations) and I have not experienced any phantom issues either. Since I knew they were having issues with wifi and data I usually turn wifi on only after I have gone into airplane mode.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

**update: I just read on another forum that 14.1 is the latest iphone carrier setting for 6.1.2. (would be 14.2 if on 6.1.3).

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same issue. Came from a Nexus and Razr where I would average 1.5-2GB per month.

Now with my iPhone 5 I have NEVER been under 4GB per month.

Last month I hit 7.9GB

This is obviously an issue with the iPhone and not LTE since other devices don't seem to do it.

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
It's unquestionably the carrier...NOT the iPhone. I've had a battle with AT&T over this crap for the last part of 2012, and ended up putting a flag on my account so that it was monitored (by AT&T AND myself) throughout the month to look for weird or unjustified data usages...and wouldn't you freakin' know, the data overages stopped.

The carriers are having a field day with tiered data plans...they essentially have zero accountability (that anyone can prove) with overages, but they charge for overages like it's going out of style.

Become annoying with your carrier if they don't give you the straight deal up front...continuously contact them about usage, and watch it yourself. You'll see how quickly things get rectified when you're on their asses all the time about data usage.

Sean..I agree with you. The carriers know they can charge you for overages, and you have almost no resource to dispute them. From the time I called earlier that evening until 9:15pm, my data went up 800mb. I called back and spoke to VZW and they did some troubleshooting and couldn't find anything. They said again, they will look into it and call me back with 24-48 hrs. So this morning my data usage is up to 8.8gig. So VWZ is saying that within a 10hr period, I've used 1.3gig? No streaming music, videos, Netflix, or anything like that. I only check news (via Currents, Flipboard, and some push motifications). I'm going to stick you your plan. Call VZW till they resoulve this issue.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Sean..I agree with you. The carriers know they can charge you for overages, and you have almost no resource to dispute them. From the time I called earlier that evening until 9:15pm, my data went up 800mb. I called back and spoke to VZW and they did some troubleshooting and couldn't find anything. They said again, they will look into it and call me back with 24-48 hrs. So this morning my data usage is up to 8.8gig. So VWZ is saying that within a 10hr period, I've used 1.3gig? No streaming music, videos, Netflix, or anything like that. I only check news (via Currents, Flipboard, and some push motifications). I'm going to stick you your plan. Call VZW till they resoulve this issue.

Thanks

1. Restore as new to remove the jailbreak. Track the usage for a few days running stock.
2. If the usage remains the same escalate with Verizon.
3. If things remain the same go see Apple and they will either check out your phone or just give you another one.

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
1. Restore as new to remove the jailbreak. Track the usage for a few days running stock.
2. If the usage remains the same escalate with Verizon.
3. If things remain the same go see Apple and they will either check out your phone or just give you another one.

Sting7k....I was thinking of doing that. Just run stock with just the basic apps and see what happens from there. No added app or jb tweaks, and then go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
First to answer your question, if you restore your iPhone as "new" then yes, you will lose your jailbreak. Now, I doubt that the problem lies with your device, however, on the chance that it is not the carrier then I would take a guess and say that it may lie with a tweak of some sort with your jailbreak. Again, I'm just guessing, but as Sean has already stated, he and others were having problems a few months back and tech blogs were reporting the same and the problem turned out to be carrier-related for the most part.

If I restore my phone from Itunes, will it factory reset my phone to its current IOS? I'm running 6.1.2? Or will it update to 6.1.4? I tried to factory reset through the phone, but it would just have the spinning wheel for more than 1 hr and not reset. I think I read that you can't hard reset through the phone if you are JB.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Before restoring the phone try just to reset all settings in the general - reset option. Also reset your data usage in the usage tab and without doing anything for a day see if it shows something. In addition to everything mentioned above there could be a culprit app that is draining the same. Can you also tell us some of the JB apps that you have loaded?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR