Battery Usage For Notifications

gonzotwins

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I am sure this has been asked before but I was unable to locate the answer. If I activate the weather app in the notification center, will this reduce my battery life? I suspect that it will since the app will need to update behind the scenes so that when I pull the tab the current temp appears. I also suspect that the use of more app/widgets in the notification center will decrease battery life proportionately. Any thoughts?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If the weather widget is a major battery drain, I have not noticed. It works fine for me. I would try it out. Worst case, you can always disable it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am sure this has been asked before but I was unable to locate the answer. If I activate the weather app in the notification center, will this reduce my battery life? I suspect that it will since the app will need to update behind the scenes so that when I pull the tab the current temp appears. I also suspect that the use of more app/widgets in the notification center will decrease battery life proportionately. Any thoughts?

From what I've noticed is the Weather in Notification Center won't update until you pull down the Notification Center... so any impact on battery life is inconsequential. Same with any other things in the NC... unless it's something requiring constant GPS use... that will use battery quickly.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In addition to what Laelipoo & kch50428 have already stated, it has been my experience that weather apps do NOT put a strain on the iPhone battery and I've used quite a bit of them.

gonzotwins

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Very true, and thanks for the input. I have tried it in the past and although it is the only widget I included in notifications, it did seem to drain the battery a bit faster. But I am wondering what others have experienced because it may have just been my overactive mind at work.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

The battery drain from the weather in notification center is minimal. So small you won't notice it. I don't think it updates until you actually open notification center, at least mine always seems pretty behind on the weather.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Each time you swipe down it engages GPS and then pulls weather data to your phone. Similarly the default stocks app also pulls data with each swipe of Notification Center..

If you do this all the time, yes it will hit the battery, well.... because it is doing something :)

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Each time you swipe down it engages GPS and then pulls weather data to your phone. Similarly the default stocks app also pulls data with each swipe of Notification Center..

If you do this all the time, yes it will hit the battery, well.... because it is doing something :)

Exactly. I try to be judicious when it comes to notifications in general. The more the phone pushes to you, the more strain on the battery.

annaharris

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, definitely it will reduce your battery life. Weather app will continuously work in background and use your Internet data to fetch new data. That will use battery of your iPhone.