having to decide between s4 or i 5

mark5019

May 2, 2013
Visit site
i have till monday to make my mind up, i now have a t mobile galaxy s2 but on the 8th s4 is out or i can get there i 5

ive never used i phone so minds working on reading all info

Last edited by a moderator:

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: haveing to decide betweem s4 or i 5

i have till monday to make my mind up, i now have a t mobile galaxy s2 but on the 8th s4 is out or i can get there i 5

ive never used i phone so minds working on reading all info

Since you currently have an Android device, do you have a lot of money tied up in that ecosystem, as in lots of paid apps, games, movies, etc? If so, it may be better for you to stick with Android instead of rebuking all your content on iOS. If not, I definitely recommend iPhone 100%. It's by far the best experience available, in mine and most other iMore users' opinions. What kind of things are you specifically looking for in a new phone?

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Hi Mark....first off welcome to iMore and you came to the right place if you want information on the iPhone 5.
Feel free to browse our Forums and read all the info :) The iPhone experience is so much more than you will ever imagine !

mark5019

May 2, 2013
Visit site

i have no apps that i cant get online if not available on i phone. as long as i can surf web its there
and why i want new phone beats me :rolleyes:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

i have no apps that i cant get online if not available on i phone. as long as i can surf web its there
and why i want new phone beats me :rolleyes:

Sometimes, we simply want change and there is nothing wrong with that, my friend. Now, in regard to your question, both mentioned iPhone versions are top notch and worth the money, however, if you're going to get one, especially on contract or on a payment plan, always get the latest version and in this case, it's the iPhone 5. Like all iPhone versions, it is powerful, well-made, well-supported and simple to use. Furthermore, Apple's customer service is second to none. Period. You will have no problems surfing the web, reading, composing and sending email, text messages or even keep up with your social feeds, if applicable. Hopefully, we were all helpful in helping you decide which device to get next week. Take care and welcome to iMore ... :)

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I say try both out in person and see which one you like or lean to better.

I currently have a iPhone 5 but when he gs4 comes to Verizon I will be switching.

I didn't want the gs4 at all until I played with one at work today so now I want one lol.

I won't be getting rid of the iPhone 5 though; it really is a great phone but change is always fun.

I hope you enjoy whatever phone u get.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't get a good feel from your first post that you have a real direction or priority when it comes to the features offered from either device...so i think the best advice (albeit a bit cliche now) is to simply go to the store and play with the phones and see which one feels the best to you. You haven't given us any info to work with really, so giving you the "better" of the two would be near impossible (and in that, biased because this is an iPhone forum to begin with).

Go use them in the store, see if they'll take it off the little security clamps so that you can feel it in your pocket or on your belt and to give you the ability to hold it naturally. After that, it's all a matter of preference in OS, i prefer iOS, doesn't mean you will too.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

GS4 has some cool features however for most users these features will go unused. I'm curious as to constant use of these features and battery life.

metreece

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

I use the Verizon Car Charger that I used to use with my BlackBerry. It has a USB port which charges my i5 and my iPad2. Still use the mini USB at the end of the cord to charge my Nook Simple Touch. I think you will like the i5 as it is very simple to use and just works.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

i will pay someone $ to correct the misspellings in this thread title

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I think I can help here and yes I just came back from android and I have used the S4 and HTC One before I switched back, you may ask why I switched we'll let's look at the S4, it has a lot of features but because of all the added features the system is bugged down and not as smooth as the HTC One which was kind of disappointing. Now the second question is why I switched from the HTC One, well while the HTC One has great speakers and performance, the camera lacked detail with the 4mp camera and battery life was ok, but charge time was way too long. In my opinion after using the other high end android phones I felt I had to return to the iPhone and since we now have google now, it is much better than on android, and looks more elegant. Also keep in my a couple of things app selection is still better on the iPhone, better quality and more refined. Another thing would be ease of use, camera and battery life, while the other phones are good phones, the iPhones charges really fast.

ibex333

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Mark, I got the S4 as an upgrade to my 4s. Turns out, from functionality and reliability upgrade it wasn't an upgrade at all! I am really NOT an Apple "fanboy". I hate that word. I do my best to give each device I try a fair chance, but the S4 disappointing me greatly. Made me very angry actually, because I felt ripped off, or tricked into buying it due to all the hype around it which I think is very undeserved. The only thing the S4 has going for it is that big beautiful screen, removable battery, SD slot, and the back and menu buttons. THAT'S IT.

Now that may seem like a lot, before you consider all the drawbacks.

1)The earpiece is way too quiet! I used to be able to hold my iPhone several inches away from my head, and hear the other side. Even on a busy New York street! Even with a train passing by! With the Samsung I struggle to hear the person I am talking to unless I am in a quiet environment like the office or my home, where I hear them just fine and can ALSO hold the phone away from my head and still hear, although I cannot hold it as far away as I did the iPhone.
To some it may not be a big deal, but when I am trying to take a call in the middle of the street and cant hear, that's frustrating, to say the least. and by the way, I am 31, and my hearing is just fine.

2)Camera is abysmal...
All these people keep screaming on every corner of the internet about how awesome the S4s camera is with its 13 megapixels and various shooting modes. But wait! Put the pictures made with both phones side by side, and you will see that the iPhones colors are constantly more realistic. I constantly see reviewers post S4's pics and claim that they are superior to the iPhone without providing any clear explanation as to WHY. Some of them support their ridiculous claims saying that you can zoom in further with the S4 or crop more without losing quality. That might be fine and dandy, but I refuse to use a phone, where the camera clearly produces shots where the colors don't remotely resemble what I am shooting!

Here, look at this picture which I took for comparison:

capturerti.png

And guess what, my wall is certainly the color you see on the iPhone shots, not what the Galaxy is trying to show. Some people claim that iPhone artificially saturates colors to make the shot more pleasing. This is simply not true. What is true, is that the Galaxy S4 produces pale, ugly shots which look nothing like the object in real life. I took enough shots to see what I'm talking about. and yet still, the Android people keep arguing with me about this till they are foaming at heir mouths... And by the way, all these new shooting modes they added for the Samsung such as drama shot, dual camera mode, and others are mostly useless and quickly fade after you played with them for a day or so.

3)The phones interface is an ugly, laggy mess which also freezes occasionally. Many people excuse this by saying that this is the Samsung's overlay, and if you just root, and install Cyanogen mod, everything will be fine. But why in the world should I spend time doing that when the iPhone's interface is already, lag free, bug free, and freeze free?! And believe it or not, my iPhone 4s NEVER lagged, even for a second in my 2 years of using it.

4)The keyboards on the Samsung are very ugly and laggy.

Pshhhh! just download another keyboard people say! But why should I waste time doing that when the iPhones keyboard is already rock solid from start?!

5)Galaxy's screen is practically invisible in bright sunlight.

Yes, its really that bad. Not a problem at all with my iPhone 4s. Sure its not as visible but at least I can see what I am doing! With the Galaxy? Forget it!

The Galaxy S4 may have all these extra fancy bells and whistles, but practically and functionally it is a big letdown. I know I can depend on the iPhone to make a phone call if there is a family emergency, or quickly type up a text. I can also make at least a descent photo every time I need to.

With the Galaxy? Who knows.. I might.. I might not... Depends on if the phone will "feel like it" or if I have "customized it enough" to be reliable enough. Thanks, but I'll take my "boring", "outdated" "extra featureLESS iPhone", over this prototype piece of junk any day. I am calling AT&T today and requesting an exchange for the iPhone 5. In BLACK. ; )

anon(5895641)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Galaxy S4
Pro
- 5 inch screen great for multimedia
- 1080P display
- lot of cool features, the phone is featured packed. (barometer, temp reader, motion sensors, camera has tons of features etc etc)
- Android meaning customization to however you want, if you root it opens customization to even a better world
- 13megapixel 1080P camera
- Micro SD storage up to 64GB \
- Standard Micro USB charging that's basically universal
- Removable battery so you can have multiple batteries if you run out of juice
- Able to change your damn ringtone without having to convert anything
- Simple to add/delete photos/music. Just plug to computer and drop it in the folder

Con
- the screen is very dim if you're using it in the bright sun because AMOLED displays are made like that ( and i read it still has the screen burn issues like the S3)
- Not so easy one handed usage if you have small to medium hands
- all these cool features may seem confusing to an average person if they aren't experienced in tech
- plastic feel ( this may not be a con)
- Comes with carrier bloatware
- Charges super super slow if you're charging by USB port since it's a huge battery. Faster if you charge on wall but charging times can't beat iPhone
- Battery drains fast if you leave all the location services on

dieselboy28

May 1, 2009
Visit site
I noticed the screen burn in issue on an s3, I was very disappointed to see that. I'm surprised that I hadn't heard about that defect before. That really made me think twice.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

frielfanatic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I personally have sworn off Samsung devices. Every one I have had has had problems. Nexus had horrible battery life, the s3 took forever to charge and the signal was garbage on both. The razr maxx hd was a great device. Traded for an iPhone 5 and I do miss the screen, battery life and some some apps that aren't available on iPhone (utorrent, tv portal) An iPhone is an iPhone. Solid and stable.

spark032207#WN

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to get an iPhone, you might as well wait until the next one? It sounds like you don't need to get upgrade right away, and the iPhone 5 is going to be an old model soon-ish.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
" I felt I had to return to the iPhone and since we now have google now, it is much better than on android, and looks more elegant."

I think that you are stretching a bit with that comment. Google Now is definitely better on Android. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro