Overseas - can't wifi or BT to mac or ipad

flygirl1973

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I live in Honduras, was able to connect via BT or Wifi to both devices before my iphone 5. Down here we use our phone as hot spots to connect our other devices to the internet since none of the American carriers have any coverage. I currently only seem to be able to do this via USB. I have read after searching for over an hour that apple has their devices locked for that, but I'm not even transfering files or photos or anything! :confused: I just want to connect wirelessly so I can surf on my computer or check my mail on the darn ipad. Shouldn't be that difficult or "not allowed". I've checked my settings, paired my computer but can't connect and my ipad won't even pair, phone says it's not supported. Says make sure device is in range with BT for Mac and my net won't come up (don't see my name, net - nothing) with "wifi on" through my phone. I thought this was supposed to be easy when everything is all i-stuff. Help!!! So frustrated! :mad:

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If I'm understanding correctly, you want to treat your phone as a hotspot.

This is a feature Apple tends to let providers decide how to provide. Ie, newer Verizon plans include the feature for free. Older Verizon plans charged something like a $20 monthly fee. I believe most other carriers charge for the function.

Settings -> General -> Cellular -> Mobile Hotspot

You can setup the hotspot in there and it should work with all devices if your provider enables it, regardless of brand.

flygirl1973

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I've definitely tried that. Hotspot is turned on - BT is turned on. The carrier here is more like "pay as you go". And they allow you to do what you will with the money you spend with them, however you want to use it. I had no problems with the 4s, wasn't sure if it was something new with the iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711