iPhone 5 would be great, if....

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a valid thread and you shouldn't jump on the OP like you did.

If anyone jumped on the OP it was me. Seriously how many of threads do we need on this same topic? Perhaps the OP can either use the search button and hop on one of the other 50 threads saying the same thing..or go find the phone that already is 'great' in his/her eyes because the iPhone 5 is what it is.

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lmao android fan boys huh? Is it that absurd that someone likes a product but could think of ideas on how it could improve and be better in their eyes. I guess if not just go buy the 4s and stick with that it didn't need any improvement. It was perfect the way it was.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Lmao android fan boys huh? Is it that absurd that someone likes a product but could think of ideas on how it could improve and be better in their eyes. I guess if not just go buy the 4s and stick with that it didn't need any improvement. It was perfect the way it was.

It's not absurd at all that people think of ideas to make something better...what's absurd is 99% of the dimwits that come on this forum that essentially want a Galaxy S with an Apple logo and complain year after year when Apple doesn't appease their fanboyish needs. Apple makes the iPhone, they make it to satisfy their consumer base and it grows and expands and breaks records every single year...and yes, Android fan boys...the ones clamoring for 5" screens and useless widgets all over the home screen, trolling the boards of iMore with redundant threads about what Apple "needs to do" to survive.

The iPhone 4S is perfect the way it is...Apple did an unorthodox update to the iPhone 5 and it works for some, not for all. There's still a very high number of users who remain with the 4S because of the size and build. You know what won't work in the Apple device line? This...

samsung-galaxy-s4-xl.jpg

...regardless of how many bored Android fans troll the iPhone forums begging Apple to make one so they can come back to iOS.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
It's not absurd at all that people think of ideas to make something better...what's absurd is 99% of the dimwits that come on this forum that essentially want a Galaxy S with an Apple logo and complain year after year when Apple doesn't appease their fanboyish needs. Apple makes the iPhone, they make it to satisfy their consumer base and it grows and expands and breaks records every single year...and yes, Android fan boys...the ones clamoring for 5" screens and useless widgets all over the home screen, trolling the boards of iMore with redundant threads about what Apple "needs to do" to survive.

The iPhone 4S is perfect the way it is...Apple did an unorthodox update to the iPhone 5 and it works for some, not for all. There's still a very high number of users who remain with the 4S because of the size and build. You know what won't work in the Apple device line? This...

...regardless of how many bored Android fans troll the iPhone forums begging Apple to make one so they can come back to iOS.

A) No one on this thread said anything about a 5 inch screen. 4.7 inch maybe, but not 5. (4.3 - 4.7 would be ideal.)
B) Yep, a lot of people have left iOS for a larger screen.
C) Blackberry once dominated the market, much more so than Apple does. They laughed at Apple and Android. Kind of like you're doing. Where are they now ?
D) While this maybe irrelevant, I have never personally owned an Android device, and if I did, it would be an HTC One or a Nexus 4. I wouldn't get caught dead with a Samsung.
E) Lighten up none of use are the CEO of Apple (at least I am not :( ), we are just expressing our opinion. It just happens to be different than yours, and that's ok.
F) Change is going to happen embrace it.
G) And while I have the floor, I would also like to see Apple add NFC and inductive charging.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
A) I never called anyone out in this thread specifically about this, nor did i say anyone did make a comment about larger screens. My call out was general...and i figured it would bait those who i was referring to. Take that for what its worth.
B) And many of them continue to spend their time on iPhone forums because they want the iOS experience.
C) Apple isn't laughing at any company, in fact, Apple doesn't resort to the bashing of other devices competing against the iPhone because they don't have to, people primarily don't buy the iPhone because it's different than another phone, they buy it because they want an iPhone. Blackberry dominated the market because there were no other legitimate competitors to what they brought to the table...Apple still leads a market full of competition.
D) It's a bit irrelevant, but who cares...I came a hair away from buying a Lumia 920 last year, and i still find it to be a pretty cool device. The HTC One is also a decent phone in my opinion.
E) I'm just expressing my opinion...unfortunately lightening up would require me to eat less amazing fried southern food and I just don't want to, it's delicious. Also, I haven't figured out how to defeat gravity...yet.
F) Change always happens, and i do embrace it. I'm totally happy with my iPhone 5, but was apprehensive with it because i wasn't sure about moving from the previous iPhone size, and while it was increased in an unorthodox way, it was done so in the way Apple always does it, and it works well for me, but i wouldn't call it better or worse.
G) Those would be cool additions.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty happy with it I never get struck with anything that leads me to think it would be better if it had this. I love the screen size the speed and graphics are sweet. I like it would change anything except the price.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
D) It's a bit irrelevant, but who cares...I came a hair away from buying a Lumia 920 last year, and i still find it to be a pretty cool device. The HTC One is also a decent phone in my opinion.

So did I, and then I remembered my Incite. While those are two totally different devices, it made me hesitate. Even though I have used Macs since the G3 days, iPods for seven years or so, and iPads since release month, I am still stuck with a BBOS 7 device, off of contract. I want to make the jump, I really do. (Maybe it's those two fried chicken breast I had for dinner holding me down ;) ).

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is one of the best looking/feeling phones IMO, but if I were to choose any iteration to the design, it would be to make it a little wider. One handed works well, but two thumbs gets a little cramped for me.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is one of the best looking/feeling phones IMO, but if I were to choose any iteration to the design, it would be to make it a little wider. One handed works well, but two thumbs gets a little cramped for me.

Agreed, my main issue. Also, get rid of the space between the keys on they keyboard, so the keys themselves can be bigger!

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Bigger screen will allow a bigger battery, if they make the device a little bigger. Not crazy bigger, just a little bit.

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
1 - Apple is leader of smartphones but Samsung owns top spot. Clearly they are appealing to many users with their designs as different as they are

2 - This thread validates no one company will EVER appeal to all. Not possible.

3 - Blackberry 10 OS has much to offer and those that shorted the stock in hopes of a failure are running out of time. Once the Q10 is launched globally, this will become more evident

4 - An inexpensive iPhone I feel would be a mistake as does this market offer enough margin to truly encourage Apple to build the quality they're known for at the correct price point while other handset makers may be able to undercut them

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
A) No one on this thread said anything about a 5 inch screen. 4.7 inch maybe, but not 5. (4.3 - 4.7 would be ideal.)
I'm not sure ideal means what you think it means. You're looking for something between a phone and a tablet. This isn't exactly ideal. These products are designed to handle two tasks at a mediocre level rather than one at a solid level.

One of the largest problems Android has is the fragmentation, even on same versions of the OS. Open up Xcode sometime. In order to develop the same app, you have to change quite a bit to work with different resolutions. In order to make things seamless for developers, it is in Apple's IDEAL interests to keep things less complicated. You'll see changes like ARC used in more recent versions of iOS to encourage developers to work with iOS. Making things more difficult without any TRUE gain is hardly ideal.

B) Yep, a lot of people have left iOS for a larger screen.
Let's just assume that your speculation is correct. We'll grant that many users left iOS purely for the larger screen. Let's even go crazy. We'll say millions left.

Market share increased. That means that for those millions that left, at least one more than those millions left their prior phone for iPhones.
• Apple iPhone: global sales 2007-2013, by quarter | Statistic

When you compare your speculation against numbers, it's irrelevant. A terrible business model is an attempt to pacify everyone. It simply cannot be done. Again, you'll go to that world where you do all sorts of things on a mediocre level and nothing well.

Again, for everyone that has left iOS, for any reason, more have chosen to gain iOS.

C) Blackberry once dominated the market, much more so than Apple does. They laughed at Apple and Android. Kind of like you're doing. Where are they now ?

We're laughing because you come here with asinine logic and present it as undeniable truth. That's simply not the case. Hell, look at this bullet point. You're comparing a company that had its hands in enterprise software prior to Blackberry. Blackberry was nothing more than a mobile solution to spread their software. Without the mobile solution, their software is mostly useless. Neither Apple nor Android are likely to make it easy for RIM to include their software widely on the products. The entire success of RIM focuses on Blackberry.

List of companies by revenue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neither Apple nor Samsung are built entirely into one product the way RIM was.

They had a large market share in one small market. Keep in mind, the market share RIM had isn't nearly as impressive when you compare the raw numbers versus today's smartphone numbers. You're comparing apples to oranges in multiple ways with this bullet point. It's absurd.

E) Lighten up none of use are the CEO of Apple (at least I am not :( ), we are just expressing our opinion. It just happens to be different than yours, and that's ok.

I'm not sure if you understand these words either. You're getting feisty and drawing up irrational bullet points in response to a harmless remark. That's not exactly light yourself. Perhaps take your own advice?

F) Change is going to happen embrace it.

On its own, this is a borderline irresponsible statement. Change often happens. But, that's not enough to blindly embrace. Many terrible movements have been embraced as change throughout history to varying impacts. Let's avoid making such empty statements?

G) And while I have the floor, I would also like to see Apple add NFC and inductive charging.

Until I trust NFC more, you won't catch me leaving it enabled in any device. The gimmick of sending a playlist, without sending any of the songs, by tapping phones is on par with the satire Samsung used in their recent anti-Apple advertising campaign. "You mean the headphone jack will be... on the bottom!?" The same minds that would be impressed by the jack on the bottom are the type that are impressed with the ability to share playlists by tapping.

The charging may be nice, but I'm willing to pass on it to gain many of the other features I enjoy.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Bigger screen will allow a bigger battery, if they make the device a little bigger. Not crazy bigger, just a little bit.

You understand it'd also come with a greater battery drain? You'd likely get much more of a battery gain by making the phone thicker, rather than increase the screen. That would allow for a bit more expansion to the battery without the associated drain.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Isn't the entire point to make it a one-handed device?

Agreed, my main issue. Also, get rid of the space between the keys on they keyboard, so the keys themselves can be bigger!

Making the keys bigger wouldn't change the typo problem you're running into. The relative size would be equal to what you're working with now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2