Strange Goings On

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I had two very strange things happen this afternoon whilst listening to music on my iPhone 5.

First one, I was waiting for a bus this afternoon and a bus turned up (not mine) and when it pulled away from the bus stop the volume on my iphone turned right down. In fact I thought the phone had run out of battery but the sound was actually on it's lowest point. It was as if the bus revving up to pull away had interfered electronically with the phone. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this before?

Then, once I was on my bus, about 20 minutes later, and still listening to music, I got a "phantom" text message. What I mean is the phone vibrated (3 times which is what I've got set up for an sms) and I heard the sms tone through the earphones. However, when I've checked my phone there's no message. Again, has anyone experienced this happening before?

I want to know before I call a priest to exorcise the phone :cool:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I did get a laugh out of this sorry

did you check your drop down notifications?

a siri confession might help but as far as volume are you using the stock headset and to come to your defense wearing garlic and a jug of holy water I found some strange issues with sound such as no keypad taps and decrease volume on calls maybe its me but I did see a School bus in the area ;-)

seriously buses don't use any unusual frequencies that I know of.....

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I did get a laugh out of this sorry

did you check your drop down notifications?

a siri confession might help but as far as volume are you using the stock headset and to come to your defense wearing garlic and a jug of holy water I found some strange issues with sound such as no keypad taps and decrease volume on calls maybe its me but I did see a School bus in the area ;-)

seriously buses don't use any unusual frequencies that I know of.....

Yes, checked the drop down notifications but it was empty.

I know the thing about the volume sounds stupid but... I have found out something that could possibly explain it or, at the least, is quite interesting. Apparently many of the buses in my area have an automated system that transmits a radio burst to a receiver at the bus stand as the bus leaves. This is to update the digital timetable at the bus stand to show that that bus has left and what time the next one is due. So...maybe not so stupid after all.

I spoke with a friend of mine who works for the local bus company and he explained it to me. He told me that it could very well have interfered with the phone though it's not common it has happened on one other occasion he's aware of.

As for the "phantom" text message, I can't explain that unless it was the signals on the phone playing up after the earlier incident.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, checked the drop down notifications but it was empty.

I know the thing about the volume sounds stupid but... I have found out something that could possibly explain it or, at the least, is quite interesting. Apparently many of the buses in my area have an automated system that transmits a radio burst to a receiver at the bus stand as the bus leaves. This is to update the digital timetable at the bus stand to show that that bus has left and what time the next one is due. So...maybe not so stupid after all.

I spoke with a friend of mine who works for the local bus company and he explained it to me. He told me that it could very well have interfered with the phone though it's not common it has happened on one other occasion he's aware of.

As for the "phantom" text message, I can't explain that unless it was the signals on the phone playing up after the earlier incident.

The transmission of the automatic radio burst could very well be the culprit, and if that is the only time or times something like that has occurred then it is all but confirmed. Now in regard to the phantom text, I don't know what to tell you. Anyway, thank you for the update and enjoy the rest of your day...;)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
could be I always wondered how so many more problems with frequencies don't happen

how many could there be left back in the CB ham radio days you had clean air but that's not the case anymore

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming that because I had the earpods connected the thin cable picked up this signal as this would be the weakest part of the phone and therefore more susceptible to any interference. Even more believable when you think that many phones with FM radio use the earphone cable as the aerial.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming that because I had the earpods connected the thin cable picked up this signal as this would be the weakest part of the phone and therefore more susceptible to any interference. Even more believable when you think that many phones with FM radio use the earphone cable as the aerial.

credible take him off the watch list :)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I've noticed the notification issue you've described, but it's usually followed quickly by the text or email, or the sound has come after I've received the text or email as well. Try turning your phone and turning it back on on a regular basis if you don't already.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've noticed the notification issue you've described, but it's usually followed quickly by the text or email, or the sound has come after I've received the text or email as well. Try turning your phone and turning it back on on a regular basis if you don't already.

I thought maybe I misread the vibrate and maybe it was an email but my unread count was exactly the same. Then I thought, as you've mentioned, maybe the sms or email may be delayed because I was using the music player, possibly hogging the available memory (I've come from Android!) but no. 4.5 hours later and nothing's come through so that one will have to be investigated by Mulder and Scully methinks.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought maybe I misread the vibrate and maybe it was an email but my unread count was exactly the same. Then I thought, as you've mentioned, maybe the sms or email may be delayed because I was using the music player, possibly hogging the available memory (I've come from Android!) but no. 4.5 hours later and nothing's come through so that one will have to be investigated by Mulder and Scully methinks.

Or you got the text earlier and didn't notice that there wasn't a notification sound then.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually set my text to repeat twice and forgot I did at first and kept hearing my custom message and I thought it was corrupted at first till I figures it out :p

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I've only received two texts today and they were both about 7 hours before this happened and I'd read them both. I've also got it set to not remind. I'll never get to the bottom of that one but at least one of my anomalies was cleared up.

Balooz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Static electricity between headphones clothes phone or anything else will cause interference. I've had my volume adjust when I'm walking sometimes without me adjusting it. Science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73