Stolen iPhone 5 stolen then recovered after i had already received new phone. What to do now?

tvfd27

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Just to clear some things up. I contacted AT&T first about returning the recovered phone, the guy said that asurion had a 7 day grace period but was pretty sure they would go up to 14 days. The AT&T rep redirected my call to asurions returns department so I could explain my case with them. I was at day 15 at the time of the call and the rep said they would not refund the deductible. I'm cool with not getting the refund because I understand that even after 7 days the new phone has lost value and has definitly lost value at 15. What I was wondering, is there anything else I can do with the phone as far as selling it for parts to a company that repairs iPhones, or if there was anything else I could do as far making the phone usable again.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That's fine. I still wouldn't feel bad if I sold the thing for parts unless I got back my prorated deductible. I am fine with them not refunding it back in whole, but I should get at least a prorated deductible back if I return the phone to them.
You're not entitled to any prorated deductible back. The insurance company lived up to their contractual obligations to replace your phone upon payment of the deductible. You can live up to your end of the deal by returning a recovered lost/stolen device... or not. Your choice has been made obvious.

The honest thing for the OP to do would be to send the phone to Asurion.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What I was wondering, is there anything else I can do with the phone as far as selling it for parts to a company that repairs iPhones, or if there was anything else I could do as far making the phone usable again.
You can send it to Asurion... they will either part it out to refurbish other phones to use to fulfill claims, or refurb that phone... or, take it to a Verizon store and drop it in their HopeLine donation box... should be near the front door of any corporate Verizon store... HopeLine will take the phone and use parts to refurb other phones that are made available to domestic violence victims.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Also, Asurion did not say anything to me about returning the phone, so I'm guessing they do not want it back.

If they didn't offer to send you a prepaid label to ship it back or ask for it back when you told them you had it, then they don't want it back. I would not send it back unless they sent you a prepaid label. You have no obligation to incur any additional cost to ship it to them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, Asurion did not say anything to me about returning the phone, so I'm guessing they do not want it back.

The below information is direct from the Asurion website found HERE.

Q:What do I do with my old device?

Customers are required to return their damaged or defective device using the prepaid shipping label provided with the replacement device. Customers will need to return the damaged or defective device within 10-15 days to avoid non-return charges. If the device was lost or stolen, the requirement to return the device does not apply. However, if the lost device is found, you are required to return it by using the pre-addressed pre-paid return label included with the replacement device.

With that in mind, it is your decision to comply or not to comply. I can only hope that you make the right decision. Enjoy the rest of your day.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If they didn't offer to send you a prepaid label to ship it back or ask for it back when you told them you had it, then they don't want it back. I would not send it back unless they sent you a prepaid label. You have no obligation to incur any additional cost to ship it to them.

Asurion will provide prepaid shipping to return a device in this situation...

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
What I was wondering, is there anything else I can do with the phone as far as selling it for parts to a company that repairs iPhones, or if there was anything else I could do as far making the phone usable again.
People on ebay sell damaged phones for parts.

I don't know if it can ever be usable again in the US. It may be usable in a foreign country if you can get it SIM unlocked so that it can be used on foreign networks.

I see people selling bad ESN devices on ebay so there must be some value in them.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can only hope that Asurion would make the right decision and refund his deductible if he returns the phone.

With insurance of that type, customers, whether knowingly or unknowingly, pay for the ability to get a replacement phone quickly at a significantly reduced rate if the original phone has been lost, damaged or stolen. Having said that, the OP got "exactly" what he pays Asurion to provide -- A replacement phone at a significantly reduced price. According to the terms of the agreement that he voluntarily agreed to comply with, he is to forfeit his found phone to Asurion. Period! This is not about right or wrong, but about the terms of an agreement that he voluntarily entered in to.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If it is not about right or wrong, why did you hope he would do the right thing?

How can I defend against that on the surface? I can't, but under the context in which I made my statement in my previous reply, I'd like to think you knew my focus was on the OP complying with the terms of his agreement with Asurion in regard to him having to return the found phone even though Asurion reps didn't mention it during his phone conversation.

tvfd27

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely agree that I got what I paid for. The process was simple, I didn't have to jump through any hoops, make multiple phone calls or wait on hold for a rep. I lost the phone on Saturday and my new phone arrived on Monday. The best part is the fact that I didn't have to revert to buying a flip phone until my upgrade came back around, because buying the iPhone outright was out of my price range. I've had no problems with AT&T's terms or asurion's terms, I think all of their terms are well within reason. All of the reps I talked to were helpful and courteous, and I think they done everything for me that they could. I didn't know to return the phone because Asurion didn't mention it when I made the claim, nor did they mention it when I called and told them that I had recovered the phone. I will gladly return the phone to them if they want it back, because it's worthless to me. If Asurion does not want it back, I would rather it go to hopeline or another organization like them, rather than it just getting trashed. I will contact Asurion in the morning and see if they want the phone or not, and go from there. Thanks for everyone's help.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely agree that I got what I paid for. The process was simple, I didn't have to jump through any hoops, make multiple phone calls or wait on hold for a rep. I lost the phone on Saturday and my new phone arrived on Monday. The best part is the fact that I didn't have to revert to buying a flip phone until my upgrade came back around, because buying the iPhone outright was out of my price range. I've had no problems with AT&T's terms or asurion's terms, I think all of their terms are well within reason. All of the reps I talked to were helpful and courteous, and I think they done everything for me that they could. I didn't know to return the phone because Asurion didn't mention it when I made the claim, nor did they mention it when I called and told them that I had recovered the phone. I will gladly return the phone to them if they want it back, because it's worthless to me. If Asurion does not want it back, I would rather it go to hopeline or another organization like them, rather than it just getting trashed. I will contact Asurion in the morning and see if they want the phone or not, and go from there. Thanks for everyone's help.

waiting for AnroidLuvr2 to come back with some rebuttal.....not!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Only if they will refund his deductible if he does that. From what he has posted, it sounds like they are saying they won't unless it was within 7 days.

I would call Asurion and explain the situation to them and see if you can get your deductible back if you send in the recovered iPhone.
Think of it in terms of a phone destroyed by water damage.

You pay the deductible and you send the broken phone in.

Sending the phone in doesn't refund the deductible.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Think of it in terms of a phone destroyed by water damage.

You pay the deductible and you send the broken phone in.

Sending the phone in doesn't refund the deductible.
yeah, but asurion already told me on the phone they would do it if you were close enough to the 7 days. Looks like day 15 for the OP was not considered close enough. I got the feeling from the rep I was speaking to that they would do it up to 30 days, however, I did not ask to be connected to the returns department to confirm that.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
yeah, but asurion already told me on the phone they would do it if you were close enough to the 7 days. Looks like day 15 for the OP was not considered close enough. I got the feeling from the rep I was speaking to that they would do it up to 30 days, however, I did not ask to be connected to the returns department to confirm that.
Are you suggesting he try to send back the phone he received from Asurion and deal with trying to find a way to fix the phone he has now?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Are you suggesting he try to send back the phone he received from Asurion and deal with trying to find a way to fix the phone he has now?
When I called Asurion, this is what I was told - that they would make exceptions to the 7 day return period in some instances (e.g, phone was lost and then you found it) when you were fairly close to the 7 days and refund the deductible. So yes, I interpreted that to mean they would accept the return of the phone he received from Asurion. I asked the rep how long would they make exceptions for and he said no firm date but 30 days seemed reasonable but he would have to transfer me to returns dept. to confirm that. I did not ask to be transferred to returns dept. However, it looks like the OP was told day 15 was too late.

I didn't think OP's original phone (the recovered stolen phone) was broken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2